Seeking Guild experts......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dirtystranger, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

After picking up a mid 70s Bluesbird, my Guild lust has risen to a fever pitch and I'm looking at a Starfire III.
    Can anyone tell me if the early post Fender hum bucking pups (westerly built) are the same as the sweet pre Fender pickups?

Also, anyone know if the traditional hollow bluesbird was ever issued with the master volume/phase switch configuration?

Just a couple of weighty queries for those in the know.

2. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

The link below includes a pretty good description of how to tell the difference between real HB-1's and the Fender produced version.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/guild-full-sized-hb1-and-sd1-pickup-variations/

I have no authoritative answer to your question about the Bluesbird, but I will say that Guild let many variations of different models leave the factory. They liked both master volumes and phase switches, so it would surprise me...

3. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Nope.

Guild didn't do a legit reissue of the early pickups until they reintroduced the electric line in 2013.

Not to my knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Those are reissues of the '60s mini-humbuckers, not the '70s HB-1s that are in Dirtystranger's Bluesbird. From what I've heard, there is some major dissatisfaction with those reissues, too.

5. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Other than the Franz pickups on the Aristocrat being super bright I've liked every humbucker I've heard.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had 3 hollow BB's, but never seen one with a MV.

7. Dirtystranger

Hmmm.......I better stick to earlier versions. I was thinking of bidding on 97 Starfire it's cheap and looks great. But if it doesn't have the HB1's, it ain't the real deal.

8. Dirtystranger

Great info.

9. yoyoyoseph

yoyoyoseph Member

Yes, but if you're looking for a 335 type guitar, it's an awesome alternative. The few I've played are really beautiful instruments. Agreed that the original HB-1's are a much more "likeable" pup.

10. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

Look here: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/forum.php.

Easy to manage and appreciate website, sticking to Guilds.

I've been following the Archtop/Hollowbody section. Last year there was, as you might imagine, a lot of talk about pickups there because of the new models being released. But readers there get answers to questions about all types of Guild pickups, I remember a long thread about the various hum buckers issued at various times, some dealing with pre-Fender and post Fender. Check it out and keep scrolling through til you find the threads.