Seeking information on a vintage CTS 10-G-16 alnico

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Tone Meister, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

I have this CTS 10-G-16 loaded into an old Fender amp and it really sounds great, but in researching it I can find little or no information on it. It has a pretty large magnet for an alnico, and the tone is very full and mellow with just the right amount of everything. The date code is 6842 (Oct '68) and it measures ~7.1 ohms. Does anyone have any information on the CTS 10-G-16?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

OK, so I'm not alone here. Does anyone have any information or experience with this "mystery" CTS speaker? All I can tell you is that it sounds great.

3. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Silver Supporting Member

If I was to guess, It has the look of an OEM part for a tube organ, but that's just speculation. Some of those organ pulls sound great in guitar amps!

4. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Wonder what the power handling would be? The magnet is quite large for an alnico.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What's the voice coil diameter?

6. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

I don't know, but I do plan to pull it soon and try another speaker so I'll check. It makes sense in that it could be a pull from an organ. That is the only feedback I've gotten anywhere yet.

7. traynor

traynor Member

Those speakers are usually found in Gibson amps (the Plus fifty) is one. I have plenty of those speakers and I love them. I've never seen them in any Organ as of yet.

idiotwithano-scope likes this.
  8. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Hey, thanks for weighing in traynor. What can you tell me about the speaker, specifically? I could surmise the date code of 6842 as Oct 1968, but is that correct? Also, does the 16 mean 16 ohms, because it measures more along the lines of an 8-ohm speaker. Also, do you have an idea of the wattage rating and voice coil diameter?

It is certainly a great sounding speaker, but curiosity has gotten the best of me and I'd like to find out what I can about it.

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

I can only estimate the diameter of the voice coil. The dust cap measures just over 1.75" and has a small vent in its center. The magnet is huge, and the speaker measures about 4.75 deep to the back of the magnet. The cone has 8 ribs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. idiotwithano-scope

idiotwithano-scope Member

pdf64 likes this.
  11. zenas

zenas Member

A good rule of thumb with speakers is, if they sound good, they're good.
    With anything "oddball" like these that's really all you can go by. Heck even with popular speakers opinions are just opinions, some guys listen with their ears, some guys listen with their wallets. Lol

12. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that catalog, its awesome.... 10 TungSol 12ax7s for $7, Free Norelco shaver with 70 Amperex tubes. Awesome
    Shure SM 57s and 58s were not cheap back then......
    GE 6v6s GTAs at $1.06 each