Seeking magical, all-in-one drive/boost/fuzz pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digitalshrub, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

Seconded.

2. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

“Cosmic swamp rock”, love it.

Which Fender amp?

Another Sunlion vote. It can sound incredible straight into a fender but results will vary depending on which one. Sorry if you said it already and I missed it.

Also, if you haven’t tried the Carcosa, you might as well just get one and see for yourself. They’re so cheap. Magnificent little pedal imo.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Not Orange likes this.
  3. Digitalshrub

Digitalshrub Supporting Member

I mostly gig with a Princeton Reverb ‘65 reissue, and use a ‘78 Vibro Champ at home. But I’ll use a venue’s Hot Rod Deluxe or something comparable from the backline if it means I don’t have to take a cab to get my amp to a gig.

And yeah, while I think I lean more towards the germanium side of fuzzes, it seems like you can coax a wide variety of tones out of the Carcosa.

lcfparty35 and HeavyCream like this.
  4. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Fairfield Barbershop V2, for the most memorable, magical pedal.

YMMV

5. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I would say the Source audio Kingmaker/LA Lady/Aftershock, but I’m not going to out of principle. Nobody needs three boards - if you need different pedals for different gigs, that’s why God invented Velcro.

Not Orange and fakeox like this.
  6. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Haven’t even read the replies but the title is calling out for a AnalogMan Sun Lion. /thread. Really, a Ge Fuzz Face and Treble booster in one. Independent. What else would you need aside from a delay or two.

7. Digitalshrub

I’ll be sure not to tell Josh Smith.

8. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

:confused

9. hangten

hangten Member

Where did you get your clone?

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

If you're willing to drop Schmidt Array money on a board then number one pick for what you listed should be an Analogman Sunlion. Just shoot Mike a detailed e-mail of how you intend to use it so that you can pick the right transistors for the Sunface side. You can't go wrong with anything AM.

11. Chrishash

Chrishash Member

Not a Dual switcher but a ProAnalog Manticore V2 will take you from clean boost to nearly high-gain distortion, super versatile, super hifi.
    A Chase Tone ‘68 Red Velvet will take care of any fuzz need you have, one of the best tweakable/EQ-able fuzzes out there.

12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I will have to ask him how he feels about publicity before posting, out of respect. One of our members who makes fuzzes.

13. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Came here to say Empress or Brothers

hippieboy and Digitalshrub like this.
  14. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

What I have tried:

Chase Bliss Brothers
    Empress Multidrive
    Strymon Riverside

If you can hang with only one tone knob (as opposed to a three band EQ), go with the Brothers. The fact that is has multiple preset options comes in handy.

Digitalshrub likes this.
  15. hangten

hangten Member

Gotcha

16. hangten

hangten Member

Sent you a PM

17. Digitalshrub

So I've been thinking about this od/fuzz/boost situation. The candidates that meet some of those criteria, and excite me the most are the Sunlion/Sunface, Hudson Broadcast (dual switch version), and SSBS Mini. All of these options are unlikely to be available for me to demo (even in NYC), and two of the three are on the pricey side, enough that I want to do a little more research before taking the plunge.

My concern about the Sunlion, probably the most highly recommended pedal on this thread, is that upon reflection I'm not sure how great a pairing the Beano boost is with a telecaster, my go-to guitar. I'm a little worried it might make my tone too bright (though I know there's an EQ toggle). So if it's not the best fit, part of me is inclined to just go Sunface and save the pedalboard space for a drive that includes a second footswitch, like the Broadcast. I know the Beano and the Broadcast are pretty different. But my fear with both of them is they might be too harsh with a tele. I have a feeling I'd know how to make use of a two-channel drive pedal...I genuinely don't know about a treble booster/rangemaster. I'm open to it, just don't know. I certainly like the tones I've heard from the Sunface side.

I've also been toying with the idea of trying to squeeze my Deco onto this board. I love the saturation on it, but it does have its limits -- I've been able to use it as a drive for recording, but I don't think it's gonna cut it live. Literally. No matter the adjustments I make to it, the tone usually comes out too dark to cut through a stage mix, though I haven't actually tried it out at a gig. So I wonder if any of the pedals on this list (or elsewhere) would be able to push the Strymon or work its signal into something a little more drivelike? Maybe it's not worth taking up the board space, though I also love the chorus tones I can get with it. If something like the Beano side of the Sunlion was able to work with the Deco somehow, I'd be very interested. But maybe the Deco is just better kept at home for studio use? I can always get something like a Mr. Black mini chorus, but I do love the tape mod sounds the Deco can do, that I pretty much haven't heard from any other pedal. Anybody have thoughts?

18. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

I’m still in the honeymoon but holy cow the EQD Palisades with my strat and DRRI covers a heck of a lot of ground.

19. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

This is probably un-TGP but what about a good ol’ Fulltone Fulldrive ?