Seeking magical, all-in-one drive/boost/fuzz pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digitalshrub, Sep 20, 2019.

1. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Brothers. Have one, love it, covers all that ground. Can be set up to have three usable sounds (A, B, A<>B) Plus you get two presets along with your live mode. If I could only have one drive pedal it would be Brothers without hesitation.

Second vote, especially if you want a single channel pedal that can cover that range is the Dr Scientist Elements. Love that pedal too and it has great tone shaping abilities with a three band EQ plus a med freq switch and a bass cut switch.

Digitalshrub likes this.
  2. Digitalshrub

Digitalshrub Supporting Member

Does the Elements get into fuzz territory?

I need to try the Brothers in person, but I don’t necessarily love how it sounds in demo vids.

3. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Yeah, I can’t remember which clipping setting it is but one of them definitely gets you into fuzzy territory. It’s a ridiculously versatile pedal.

And try Brothers if you can, it has a ton of sounds in it and I find most of them pretty approachable. It does it’s own thing in a way but I love the sounds and I definitely consider it my main drive pedal. I agree that many demos of it are just okay.

Digitalshrub likes this.
  4. Digitalshrub

Word. The Brothers, at least, is a pedal I can get my hands on to demo at a store. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen some Dr. Scientist stuff at 30th St Guitars here in NYC, they might have the Elements.

5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I love this pedal and the Prince Of Tone. I use them both with volume maxed and gain almost all the way off. The HFD could use a bit more boost. I do run everything at 9V.

Digitalshrub likes this.
  6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

After literally hundreds of pedals, I would say the two that can get you there are both single switch:
    RAT
    Smallsound/Bigsound Mini

Digitalshrub and HERSCHEL like this.
  7. Digitalshrub

Good call. I'd really like to get my hands on that SSBS Mini to see what all the "fuzz" is about.

Seeing as how I own a RAT, I should really just bust it out today and see how the toanz strike me in 2019. Sure liked it back when I got it, but my tastes in dirt have changed a lot.

8. spence

spence Supporting Member

9. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

I don't think these have been mentioned:

-Big Ear LOAF
    -Mojo Hand El Guapo
    -PTD Copper Penny Si4
    -Ghost Effects Pep Box

They all have one footswitch and can go from light dirt to fuzz with your guitar's volume knob

Digitalshrub likes this.
  10. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

still this.

11. Zooey

Zooey Member

In the interest in completing this list of every pedal ever manufactured, you might like the WMD Arcane Preamp. It's a dirty boost feeding a separately footswitchable fuzz with full tone stack. It is not polite sounding, I like it.

You can get boost to drive to fuzz out of Red Llama (or clone) if you want a one switch solution.

For low budget option, I really like the EHX Hot Wax.

12. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

While not a fuzz, the Kingsley Jester has insane cleanup and is a little more Mesa boogie in its gain structure. Also, it’s a little smoother taper on your volume knob. I find fuzzes to be still quite clean around 7/8 on guitar volume. The Jester has all your gigging needs forsure

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Mini is awesome. I mostly use mine as a low gainer. It excels in front of my tweed amps.

14. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

I like the Benson Pre-Amp and Earthquaker Devices Palisades .. If choosing between the 2? . gotta give the nod to EQD Palisades. .. There is a Gain A and Gain B and Boost switch .. This is a GREAT feature. Also the pedal has nearly every Tube Screamer mod out there .. Well-built .. Versatile .. Really like it with my Gibsons and G&Ls and Roland JC, G-K250ML, my Marshall, and my Mesa .. It was an unexpected surprise

15. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I run two BK Butler Tube drivers for this reason. I love the sound of a tube driver, but I needed one for Boost and one for Drive. (I wish Mr. Butler made a "double" tube driver) If I had to use only one drive pedal, I'd still use the Tube Driver, and work the gain with my volume knob. But this still wouldn't give you a booster.

In a Drive/Booster combo, my favorite by far is the Lovepedal "Purple Plexi + Boost"

Digitalshrub likes this.
  16. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Interesting how many people are suggesting a pedal that doesn't do fuzz ?

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  17. Digitalshrub

Yeah, I think the issue is I’ve kinda asked for a lot out of one pedal, so some folks are suggesting options that cover some ground but not all of it.

Initially I wanted something with two footswitches, handling boost/od/fuzz. There certainly are options that do that but only a handful, and there are a ton of great pedals that do “fuzzy overdrive” with just one footswitch. So now I’m revising my search to whatever dirt pedal feels like it can get me as close as possible. And not take up too much space (not to be a buzzkill, but I’m looking at you, Royal Jelly).

The list of pedals on this thread is now massive, and there are a ton of great ideas. Big Ear Loaf sounds really great, but maybe not hugely versatile. Heaven help me: last night I went down the Trombetta Rotobone rabbit hole and was instantly persuaded.

stephen sawall likes this.
  18. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I’d personally go Benson Preamp. Solid pedal in many ways.

19. Digitalshrub

My current taste is trending towards a Sunface — while the Sunlion is tempting as hell, I don’t think a Rangemaster is exactly what I need, as I’ll be running into clean Fender amps 90% of the time. Any opinions on whether a quality germanium fuzz will get me anywhere near drive tones if I back off my guitar volume? I’ve actually never owned a proper fuzz, and my muffs don’t really clean up like fuzzes do, so I don’t have a good frame of reference.

That is, unless I can be persuaded to take the Volante off this board (so good...and so large on a “mini” board). If so, I feel fairly convinced that a simple Barber Gain Changer would give me the drive sounds I seek, and there’d be room for it (and a Sunface) if I go with a smaller delay. Obviously that’s a departure from the idea of having fuzz and od in one enclosure, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing for me — at least right this second.

20. kramm47

kramm47 Member

I came here to say the EQD Palisades is really, really versatile, and not huge given the amount of controls and three footswitches. I run into clean amps 90% of the time and I love the way mine sounds; covers just about all the tones I need.

The new OCDge also covers a lot of that ground - I use mine as a mostly-clean boost just to add some sparkle and a touch of grit when I dig in, and that's with the gain around 8 o'clock. Dimed it more-or-less roars. But you'd have to bend down to adjust it, which sounds like something you want to avoid.

In thinking further, I came up with a couple of options from Keeley - the D&M Drive is an OD and a boost that would do the things you need except fuzz. The Aria replaces the boost with a compressor, but a well-liked compressor that can surely be set to act as a boost... plus it can also just be a compressor, if you're trying to save space and, y'know, need a compressor.

Then I got really wacky and remembered my time screwing around with building my own pedals. Build Your Own Clone has two that came to mind. The first is the Silver Pony, a Klone that separates out the boost section from the dirt, so you get a Klone set as a clean boost on one switch and a bunch more gain on the other switch. They also have a pedal they call a Crown Royal, which is a two-switch customize-able drive pedal where you can choose what kind of circuits you get. The boost circuit itself is modular, where you can pop it out and put in a different one. Of course, if you're not into building, they were quick to tell me you can always contact Axeandyoushallreceive and they'll build it for you.

I don't work for them, but my couple of experiences with them were all awesome - good people over there, and a nifty product.

My final, absolutely insane thought is a DS-2 with an external footswitch to change channels. I've used the DS-1 side as a clean boost with some success, and the Turbo channel certainly has some dirt on it. It would not take up much space and would be quite inexpensive, at least.

Good luck! I have discovered I love building boards. My wallet doesn't, but I do. :roll

Digitalshrub likes this.