Seeking Recommendation: Killer Rack Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BerkleeBill, Jan 15, 2006.

1. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

Can anyone out there recommend a great sounding, high-quality single rack space unit that works well with guitar? My main interest is only in delays: Long, short, doubling and chorusing. Uninterested in any other features (harmonization, distortion, moddeling, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Check out some of the old Roland SDE and Korg SDD delays.

3. T-bone

T-bone Member

+1 on the Chandler Stereo Echo

4. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Don't forget the Line 6 DelayPro.....
    Serious kick butt unit.
    Steve

5. Madsman

Madsman Member

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Lexicon MPX-1 used about $400, great sounding and also useful in the studio. I hear very good things about the newer Korg single rack space stuff, too.

7. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

+1 on the Chandler SDE.

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Think a 2290 is like 3 rack spaces. Cool delay though.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

Another vote for the Chandler Stereo Echo

10. flicker180

flicker180 Member

2, actually.

dave

11. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

TC D-two is another great unit that does what you are asking.

12. MrSage

MrSage Member

Another vote for the Korg SDD series.

The SDD-3000 is amazing (and even sounds great as a booster, with the +4dB mode engaged and the delay itself bypassed!).

The SDD-2000 has midi control, but isn't quite as warm as the 3000.

13. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Another vote for the Roland SDE series & also check out used Lexicon LXP's & PCM's

14. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The Chandler, though they seem to be going up and up and up. I wish I had bought one when I saw them for $200.

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The Alesis Midiverb 4 has been used by a guy named Matthew B Mayes in a band called Jupiter Coyote for oh as long as I've been watching them play, maybe 7 years or so, his delay and chorusey stuff he gets out of that sounds great through I believe one of the cleaner Mesas, maybe a Mark IV. He uses it with an electric banjo and a custom Dodson Tele. Other than the amp EQ and OD I think the only other effect he uses is Wah. It's got very nice depth to it.

I believe there are sound clips where you can hear it at www.jupitercoyote.com

here it is

http://www.alesis.com/products/midiverb4/index.html

16. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

My favorite delay is the Symetrix 606 delay. Single rack space, two independant delay lines, 100 presets, great modulation and filter options, and of course great sound! Not made anymore, but can be found used for around $350.00ish I believe. Not the easiest unit to program if you get into the deep parameters, but all the essential parameters have knobs on the front panel.

The TC DTWO is a pretty good sounding unit. Easy to program, and the ability to program unique rhythmic delays are some of the D2s strong points.

L6 Echo Pro. I don't like it (and I'm a Line6 fan). It never sounded right in my rig, it's my least favorite dedicated delay unit.

TC 2290. Two rack spaces, out of production and out of control used prices. Great sound of course and some cool features with the five loops (a mini switching system).

Korg DL8000 (I think that's the right part number anyway). Single rack space, out of production. I've heard some great sounding clips of this unit. I've not tried one myself, but users rave about the sound. Some unique features.

Beyond that you have a whole list of out of production units that might be somewhat hard to find. The Chandler, Lexicon PCM series, the older Korg delays, Delta Lab....

If we're talking new (still in production) then I like the D2 in the under $500.00 price range. Used I like the 606 in the same price range.

Peter