Seeking Reviews of the "Satchurator" distortion pedal from Vox

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by major, Feb 22, 2009.

1. major

major Member

JUst seeking your thoughts on this new pedal from Joe Satriani. What do you like and dislike about it, if you have it or played through it. Right now I'm not yet sold on it, the "tone" control from 11 o'clock on is to bright/gritty to me with my les Paul. What do you think?:munch

2. acwild

acwild Member

I was really excited when it came out and I picked it up right away. For me, it was one of the biggest disappointments last year. I tried all sorts of combinations and settings hoping to find the sweet spot but just couldn't get a sound that was more than "acceptable." Generally speaking, it was harsh sounding through my setup. I eventually found that mixing some amp gain helped to smooth some of the sound out a little but that wasn't my goal as I have a single-channel amp. After a few days working with it, I ended up returning it. That said, I generally do prefer overdrives so take anything that I mentioned with that in mind. Jmho.

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

4. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I like it for what it is: a Joe Satriani pedal. It does a pretty good job of copping his tone, and it is great for his style of lead playing, with singing sustain and saturated distortion. It is true that the tone knob leaves a bit to be desired, so set it where it sounds best and leave it there. I cannot imagine Joe Satriani using this pedal (and he does use it) if he did not think it sounded and felt pretty good to him.

I will say that it took a while to grow on me, and I bought and returned the pedal a couple of times before finally keeping it. My indecision had a lot to do with the guitar and amp I was using. With my Brian Moore M/C1 (on the JB bridge humbucker) and Super Reverb Reissue, it really sounds good.

A search should reveal a few threads on the Satchurator. Most people here are down on it, but not me.

5. ibzmav

ibzmav Member

I had it before and after a week of testing, I came to a decision that this pedal sound & feels exactly just like my japanese DS-1.

--> ugly sweep of tone control, lacking in volume, fizzy & lacking mids to cut in a band.

I've heard somewhere that the circuit of satchurator is a japanese ds-1 with zero ohm resistors acting as dummy/camouflage to make it not look like another DS-1.

Tested it on vox ac30 & various marshalls, humbucker ibanez axes.

6. major

major Member

Yeah, its too bad that the tone control doesn't help improve the overall sound. I think I will return mine to GC. Now, on with the search for my 2nd O/D pedal.:barf

7. wichita

wichita Member

Doesn't a Rockman do the Joe tone?

8. brewtality

brewtality Member

The pedal's a big disappointment. I was gonna use it for some classic rock tones, but it's either too bassy or too thin. I can't find the pedal's sweet spot thru a clean amp. My MIJ DS-1 sounds a whole lot better than the Satchurator.

9. Gtr_Eng

Gtr_Eng Member

I wouldn't call it a big disappointment but it does have its limitations. If you want to sound like Satch then its a good starting point. Satch's tone has come a long way since the days when you could do the Joe tone with a Rockman.

That being said, the satchurator is IMO like a higher fidelity version of the DS-1. It has that same 'tubular' texture for single note runs but sounds congested for everything else. I like it for certain things. It does clean up well when you roll the volume off at the guitar. The tone knob is it's biggest disappointment because it's only useable in a narrow range (ie around 9 to 11 oclock). Everywhere else it's either to bassy or shrill. The 'more' switch is cool in that it does what it says it does. Gives you more of the sound you are already getting with more gain and more harmonics. I think the pedal has its uses but it probably isn't the best choice for a main distortion effect.

10. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

+100 on this
    I swear I thought it was broken when I played it.
    Its going back & I'm either getting a Barber Dirty Bomb, or an AMT California Sound