Seeking something like Matchless Clubman...but better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarded_1, Dec 26, 2005.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So I really dig the Matchless Clubman. The clean to pushed clean tones are freakin' amazing. I really dig the sparkle, grit and chime of the amp. However, I find that when pushing the amp into more gain, the bottom end is a bit loose. Is there anything that is similar to a Clubman...but that has more of a tight, ballsy Marshall character to it when pushed hard? Something for $1500 or less used would be nice.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Believe it or not my Traynor YSR-1 is getting me there. It has the huge low end, the defined cleans, the EL34's, and the Marshall meets Hiwatt tones. Push it into OD and the bottom stays rock solid. Tight as hell. It has nice reverb and a great soundinh tremolo.

It doesn't have a Master volume though, but it does has the Marshall style 4 input, 2 channel setup that sound fat when bridged.

It definitely qualifies in your price range.I got mine for about $400

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7376597126&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 (not my auction, but it's exactly what I have)

3. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Very interesting indeed. Yeah...I guess I'm looking for Marshall meets Hiwatt. Thanks for the info!

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Used Hot Cat 30.

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Hot Cat had more gain on tap too, right?

I've only plugged into one Hot Cat and the damn thing was broken so it only made horrible noises :(

6. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Before you sell the Clubman try a Mullard GZ34 Rect. and and a Mullard 12ax7 in the V1 position. Sylvania Big Bottle Power tubes are also excellent in the Clubman and will last along time.

Run the amp with the Master all the way up and adjust the volume to taste. See if that does the trick.

7. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

yeah, i had tone issues with my chieftain, but a retube solved it all and breathed new light into it. a loose bottom end on a matchless is nothing a little eq'ing cant get rid of. I actually run with my bass knob around 8 o-clock to get the tightness I need.

8. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Hughes and Kettner Puretone - class A EL34s. Never heard one, but if you can find one to try have heard good things.

Wes

9. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I played one about 4 years ago. It was sweet from what I remember. I know my ear has developed, but I wouldnt mind playing one again. It was a great attempt by Hughes and Kettner, its sad that theyre so rare.

10. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I had one of the Puretone's at two different times. The first one had a strange vibration that I couldn't rectify, and it was overpriced ($1800). Then, 2 years ago, GC had a demo model for sale at $600. So I picked it up. The tones are definately close to the clubman, but it is not as versatile or open sounding. The pushed clean of the Clubman was better. It's also pretty heavy.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Maybe a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr.?

12. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Does anyone know if a SS rectifier can be used with the Clubman? Anybody ever heard it like that?

13. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Why not give Matchless a call?? I've spoken with Phil on several occasions and he was always patient and helpful. I've got a '93 clubman that he just recapped for a very reasonable price. Also, he researched mine and informed me that it was one of five original prototypes that they built. Mine is stock with mercury mag trannies. It was part of there search for oem's. They did not become the oem trannies of choice, but, I'm quite happy with them.

14. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Really? I'm confused, I've read several times that Mercury is the vendor of the Matchless trannies. If not Mercury, who is the OEM?

15. michael.e

michael.e Member

I will have a Clubman someday!!

Has anybody tried a variety of treble boosters with a cranked Clubman in order to keep the bottom end together? Would seem like a good idea to me. When I want to crank my Club Royale with HB's, that is what I do in order to keep things sano. M.E.

16. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I used an SD-1 with a Clubman. It definitely helped, but a good treble boost may be the ticket.

17. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I'm using a Keeley SD-1 with my Traynor. It's a killer pedal.
    I'd love to hear it through a Clubman

18. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

EL34, Phil wouldn't share that info with me, but he was quite adament that it ain't MM

19. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I'm about to put a G2D Creamtone and a FullDrive 2 Mosfet anniversary model in front of one. I'll be happy to report back.