Seeking speaker/cab advice for 40w combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FOTM704, Sep 14, 2018.

1. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

I recently had David Allen upgrade my 1x12 Allen Accomplice combo amp to use 40w transformers to better handle 6L6s. Prior to this, I was using a 40w Tone Tubby Purple Haze without thinking much about overloading the speaker. Now that I have more power, it seems I need to swap speakers to a higher powered one. I really love the Purple Haze, so the other option is to buy a 2x12 cabinet and another Purple Haze speaker...but I'm not in love with the idea of having more crap to haul around.

What would you do? Is there a 80w+ 12in speaker which would sound similar to the tone tubby which would allow me to keep the amp as a combo? David suggests the red white and blues but I have never been a big fan

2. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

3. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

The Lil Texas neo sounds similar to hemp to me. Tons of wattage room and will shave some pounds. Its really an individual preference thing though. Vids can be okay, but i find them most useful in shootouts where i am very familiar with at least one of the speakers so you get a relative reference on the others. Good luck!