Seeking suggestions HD500/Torpedo CAB

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Semitone, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Semitone

Semitone Member

I just got a Torpedo CAB last week to mate with my HD500. I've spent a little bit of time tweaking but, as we all know, with the POD you can get lost in tweaking for days. Having a bunch of Torpedo options seems like it could just increase my tweaking time.

So...for those of you who have already gone down this road could you give me some suggestions regarding your favorite settings. ( I am fine that these are opinions.)

For example, with the HD500, I could just turn off the cab, use the amp and then turn off power amp on the CAB. Alternatively, I could go preamp on POD and use one of the many power amps on the CAB. I suppose I could use two power amps..who knows, maybe in some situations this might actually sound good. :huh

At this point, I have only put the Cab in the F/X loop, haven't had any issues but I know some people like it post HD500.

My sounds were OK with the HD500 cabs but I thought I could do better with the Torpedo, so I am experimenting. So far I have found that I really liked getting rid of the Mesa Cab with the Mesa model and using the Torpedo. On the other hand, I previously used a Bassman nrm model with the HD500 and it was OK. I found the Bassman preamp nrm model to be difficult to dial in(really need to boost it up with the mixer). OK..so all preamps are not created equal.

In any event, if you could share with me some of your experiences and preferences, it would help me. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. randombastage

randombastage Member

I use it in the loop, I use Pod 'pre' models with No Cab selected and have the T CAB power amp, speaker cab and EQ on, usually I don't do much with the EQ though.

I could upload some presets but I'm using OwnHammer ir's instead of the T CAB stock ir's so it wouldn't do you any good unless you have the OwnHammer ir's I'm using.

On the T CAB I have the In and Out Level switches set to GTR and AMP.
    I have the Pod's effects loop usually set for around 0 to -4 db on the Send and between 10 and 16 db on the Return.
    I have the Effects Loop in the first block downstream from the Mixer. The Mixer is panned straight up the center at 0db for both channels with a single Amp Pre model right before the split.

The Preset Level and the Output Level on the T CAB are usually both at 0db.
    The individual Pod preset's Amp CH Vol is usually at 75% to 100%. The Master Output knob on the PodHD is usually at 75%, that is the master volume for me, if I want to be a little more quiet this is where I go to back the room volume down.

I find the T CAB to be a major improvement to the HD500.
    I have a midi cable from Pod out to T CAB in so everytime I call up a preset on the Pod it calls up a preset on the T CAB which is set up to compliment the amp in the Pod preset. When I create a new preset the HD Edit window and the Torpedo CAB control window are open side by side on my screen and I work on the preset that way.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I got the Torpedo CAB a couple of days after you. I have not tried it in the FX Loop... only post. In the Loop was my plan this afternoon. I tried redoing all of my go to patches with the CAB... I tried both HD pre only models with the Torpedo power amps and cabs... and with the HD full models with the Torpedo only pulling cabinet and a little EQ duties... (I find myself prefering 800hz cut back a smidgen on the CAB EQ.)

But I didn't come away with a preference of Torpedo power amps vs HD power amps yet. they sound different. for example... the JCM800 full Model vs the Pre only with the Torpedo PP EL34 sounded Radically different even with the same Torpedo cabinet. The other amps in comparison with the appropriate power amp selected all sounded very different compared to the HD Full amp choice... but It wasn't nearly as radical of a difference as what the cabinet models make.

I too wouldn't mind hearing about the experiences of those that have been using the combination successfully for a while.

4. 3dognate

Here's a clip i did tonight testing out my '80s metal patch... The CAB is in the loop. Using the Angel Fireball full amp model with the Two Notes Brit VintC cabinet and sm57 mic. One guitar panned center... straight from the POD over USB. Guitar is my JTV-89F Variax.

Crazy Train (Something Familar to everyone)
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/3dognate/hdandcab-crazytrain[/SOUNDCLOUD]

5. texasdave

texasdave Member

I've used the CAB in the FX loop once; just been too stupid busy to really dig in. For my needs the FX loop is the chosen spot because I jump from electric to mandolin a lot, and I can bypass the CAB on my mandolin and acoustic patches by not putting fx loop in the patch. Haven't tried the MIDI cable control of the CAB as above, but I'm intrigued.

6. 3dognate

Yeah I'm also using midi control... just setting the CAB to a cabinet per Patch is the easiest thing.I have a couple of acoustic patches just setting the CAB Micing to off works.

7. Semitone

Semitone Member

I think you did a really nice job nailing the tone. (great playing too.)

I've only used the CAB in the F/x loop. so far. I tried it there, seems to work so I haven't ventured much further. I also really appreciate the MIDI control for changing cabs on the fly.

A couple questions about your patch: I listened to it with headphones. I always found that the HD sounds pretty great with headphones ( hi impedance ones, had problems with lo/common headphones), it was when I went live with FRFR that it bothered me a bit.

When you dialed it in, did you try to A/B with any of the HD cabs?

Did you choose the full amp over the preamp because you thought it sounded better, was easier to dial in, or just happened to be the one you picked, so you went with it? No pedals,compressions...

Did you find a big difference in either tone or with the "ease" of dialing in a patch? There is something to be said for not having to tweak, so even if the CAB makes it easier and faster it is a value IMO. I find the CAB software interface to be very user friendly...surprisingly so for me. ( I don't use the HD software much, I prefer to tweak on the device) I also like the clipping meters on the Torpedo Remote.

I assume you didn't use any tone matching from a DAW. Did you use the EQ on the Torpedo Remote rather than use an EQ on the POD or was it EQ'd in the DAW. ( I think I also have a problem with so many EQ's in the signal chain..too many choices gives me option anxiety LOL.)

Also curious about your technique to dial in a preset. I usually just do a quick lick/riff in the HD looper, put it in front of my signal path and then try to adjust while the audio is looping. I don't really try to copy tones so much as I try to get a certain, clarity, breakup and feel from the guitar/modeler combo.

In any event, thanks for sharing.

8. 3dognate

Thanks.
    Yes, every 4x12 and Mic combination. I found it very difficult to find a combination that would give me that defined crunchy high gain. And yes I got into DEP for the cabs.
    I didn't find anything to really not like about the HD Power amps... I still need to dig into the CAB Power amps some more though. my quick audtion of them showed that they were pretty good so I'd be silly not to try them.
    Yes, i did an audition of the different cabs.. (all this was done with my Mackie/K12 PA at rehearsal levels.... btw) and I was able to quickly find a good cab that fit the patch's needs. And yes the Meters on the CAB were great for setting patch levels. Between Input, Output, and my Mixer's Meters. I got nicely leveled patches between my 4 core tones.
    Zero EQ in the POD (Other than B/M/T in the amp model), No EQ in the CAB or DAW. I do have an 80HZ HPF in my PA Mixer set.
    I don't use a loop... I never get good results that way... (Need to feel what's happening)

I also do not try to copy tones, too tedious and not practical unless you do a lot of songs by an artist or are into patch persong kinda stuff (Which I am certainly not into)... I keep 4 core tones.. Clean Near break up/Crunchy Marshall/80s, 90s Heavy rock/Modern Metal and keep a Tube Screamer model on tap to push any of those if needed. I can cover pretty much anything with some variants for different modulations and delays.

9. Semitone

Semitone Member

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I hear you. This is probably my biggest problem. Too many options to choose from and I keep trying to get "All my amps" out of the POD.:banana

Clearly better to choose a few and optimize those, IMO, from a player's standpoint. Leave the " I need to know everything in the toolbox" to the engineers...toolboxes are just too big today. YMMV

By the way, that mike placement tool on the Torpedo is pretty cool. I knew that placing a mike changes tone but I find it interesting to hear it in real time when it is moved on the screen.

10. 3dognate

Here's another I did tonight..

HD500X Soldano Crunch Full amp + Tube Screamer Model
    TN CAB Brit VintC cab
    Left Channel Guitar = Variax Strat model Bridge pickup
    Right Channel Guitar = Variax Les Paul Model Bridge Pickup
    Solo is just right channel panned center

(Yes there's more gain than should have...) :)
    HD500x + Two Notes CAB - My Sharona
    [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/3dognate/hdandcab-mysharona[/soundcloud]

11. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

Thanks for posting these, 3dognate. Much appreciated.

I'm really digging these sounds. Makes me think I should really start to incorporate my EPSi into my Pod X3 Live setup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rgys

rgys Member

Semitone,

I don't have a Torpedo, but I am using an EPSI (so I guess my findings "soundwise" should be the same).
    I am using the EPSI after my POD because of several reasons:
    1) Since it's a cabinet replacement, maybe it should be the last part of the soundchain??
    2) I own a POD HD500, POD HD PRO and a POD HD (Bean). I make my patches on the Bean using the editor, and since the Bean does not have an effects loop, obviously I have to put the EPSI after the POD.
    3) Before using the EPSI, I was using the ADA GCS/2, Maxz speaking sim and Palmer PDI09 to replace my cabinets. My son band still plays live with the PDI09 using my patches, so I still like to test them with these CAB sim boxes as well. So it's a lot easier to dial in the output volumes going into these CAB Sims with the POD Master volume
    4) I'm using the STACK FRONT output, because I need the "global eq" for my patches, and at this moment the STACK FRONT seems to be best suited for doing that. So I set the focus to around 1,6HZ, then I set the lows and highs at about -25 and "fine-tune" from there. I first dial in the bass response to set the lows correct, then I set my highs settings equal to the dialed-in lows and fine-tune the highs. Doing that I am able to quickly "fine-tune" my output depending on guitar or live settings.

Since the EPSI doesn't have MIDI, I've settled for just one IR file: the V30 IR file from the Ownhammer Studio Mix libraries. I own and tested most of the "well-known" IR's - Redwirez, other Ownhammers, the TwoNotes wall of sounds as well (so should be the same as your Torpedo). That IR files gives me best results for "mixed" clean/crunch/heavy use (with my "stacke output" settings of course).

I don't know if this setup is better then using the EPSI in the loop, since I've not played around much with that (because of the reasons mentioned above).

But anyway, next to my use of the EPSI after the POD, one of the best tips that I can give you is not to forget you can use BOTH cabinets!! No-one says that you have to disable the cabinet for all of your patches when you use an IR loader.

I've long been searching for a good "loud, warm clean" or "edge of breakup" tones, and I happened to get into that region using BOTH the XXL30 POD HD cabinet, with the resonance still default at 50%, but with the lows dialed back at around 200Hz and the 57 on Axis AND going into my EPSI (with POD HD stack front output) loaded with the Ownhammer V30 IR. That gives great cleans and breakup sounds, that I've not gotten with just an IR loader or CAB sim itself.

Just try a basic patch with just the PHD Motorway as your amp, all settings at 50% (drive, lows, mids, highs) -set presence to your liking, output volume correct, leave the XXL30 cabinet with cabinet lows dialed back at around 200Hz and 57 on Axis, and give that a try! Don't know what the effect will be with your torpedo in the loop, but that should sound great with the torpedo after the POD, and the POD HD on "stack front" output settings. And that trick works as well for all "clean/low gain" amps. To my ears, it gives some kind of "added compression" allowing much louder cleans and breakup sound, but without loosing the playing dynamics (I don't like any of the compressors in the POD, even at very low settings they "eat up" all the playing dynamics of my sound).

Hope you can do something with that tip. It sure did help me (it took me 4 years to finally get that "type" of clean sound out of it -I can easily understand why people just put the POD away after being tired trying to get a good sound out of it). So I'm now eagerly awaiting the new global EQ in the new firmware, since I think I will be able to dial in my EPSI after the POD a lot better with that (as with the stack front, as I am doing now). Stack front works for me, but that does make you loose some detail in the highs and lows (which I probably won't have anymore with the new global EQ).

13. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

To clear up a few things about the Pod HD series: The Amp DEP Master is the master volume for the amp model. It must be up fairly high for the other Amp DEP's to have any effect. The amp Level is just a neutral output for the amp block. It should probably be kept close to 50% with higher gain presets, so the loudness of cleaner presets can be turned up to match. Also, it doesn't appear that everyone here "got the memo" that the Cab DEP Res setting actually adds resonance to the original IR's, and is largely at fault for making Cabs sound boomy or too bright. It should be set to 0% to hear the IR as it was recorded. Try just adding like ~20% Res if desired.

14. 3dognate

I finally got to use my HD500X + Torpedo C.A.B. at rehearsal last night. Only went direct. It was certainly the best I've ever had the HD sound direct...

15. 3dognate

I did a gig this past weekend with the HD500+Torpedo CAB. It did a really really good job. It sounded excellent in FOH...

Much more pleased than with the HD500 by itself... It sounded great in my IEMs as well

Here's a snap of my pedalboard and other stuff I use... I have the CAB in the FX Loop. And since I run mono I have a little passive DI on the board so that I can tap a 1/4" out for summed mono and run XLR to the FOH mixer. My Line 6 Wireless is also on the board. The iPad is used to manage backing tracks and for IEM mixing. I use a Vocalist LiveFX for my own vocals and to add a little harmony occsionally. (I really like this unit BTW. I think I like it better than my TC Helicon VL Play Acoustic.)

[​IMG]