Seemed appropriate to buy this yesterday...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lowbrow, Mar 18, 2015.

1. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

Stumbled on this USA Peavey Predator in a pawn shop yesterday and figured it better come home with me….I mean, it was St Patrick's day and it's green and all…

I actually have a (bad?) habit of buying these anytime I see them for under a certain price point. They've got good bones and can be fun to mod….and are easy to flip on ebay if the time comes. Nice necks. This one was $50. Someone painted it…it's kind of a satin finish and not a half bad job. Quite durable too, given how hard it was to get all the stickers off.

[​IMG]

2. garret

garret Member

From the logo looks to be mid 90's era. That's a great score for $50!

I had one and regretfully sold it a few months ago. Nice maple neck on a poplar body.

Someone posted here on TGP who claimed to have worked at Peavey at the time. He stated that specific logo time frame was when the necks were made in the US but the bodies were done in Asia. I can't verify that and searching the web did not corroborate the story.

The neck on those Predators are very nice but a bit thin and it's easy to roll the E strings off the side of the neck itself. The stock pickups actually sound very good and were pretty quiet.

I replaced the tuners and nut and the guitar sounded very, very good. As "strat-e" as any other strat.

The bridge is pretty poor as it has very little sustain. Many owners replace the trem block.

That is the dilemma with the early Predators. You can upgrade the nut, tuners and trem block and have a great little guitar but it will never sell for more than $100-$150. A repainted one would be valued far less.

In the end, it is a great sounding guitar.

3. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

I've lost count how many of these have passed through my hands…something like 20 or more. I've had all the label variations as well as the different AX models. Never had a problem with the E strings falling off the neck…there's actually more real-estate there than a American Fender…I've measured them with a vernier caliper…both at nut and body end.

I wish they had a 9.5" radius instead of the 12" they're made with. The necks are probably too thin for many…and there's never much variation guitar to guitar…but this particular one has the fattest one I've played yet.

You are correct about not getting any investment back on upgrades….but I've had hobbies before that where all outlay and no return…purely for the fun of it, so to speak…so as these go, it's not too expensive to mess around and have some fun…especially if you stick with used parts and shop carefully….and can do all the work yourself, of course.

I've mentioned it in past threads when these come up, but I'll do it again. The range of Guitarfetish strat pick guards all fit these without even having to redrill any screw holes. Drop on replacements starting at $12.95 is a pretty good deal.

4. allguitar

allguitar Member

What a score! I'd have grabbed that up too. You all seem to know Peavey well. I've had this one since '92 brand new. It's an Impact neck through body. Know any background?[​IMG][​IMG]

5. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

I've never owned a Impact, but everything I've read and heard about them has been very positive. Kinda rare, made in U.S.A. and has a small but dedicated cult following. If you ask at the Peavey forum, they will be able to fill you in much more. Yes…there is a Peavey forum…..