1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Seems most Pros use flat pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeVB, May 30, 2020.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Most don't appear to use the consumer type boards (plain rail type or fancy furniture type) that most of us bedroom and weekend warriors are sold. Are most pros just buying Gator G-Tour flat boards?

None of the rig rundowns ever seem to mention the board manufacturer, just what pedals, what order, and maybe who "made" it for them by mounting pedals.

2. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

I've seen quite a few using pedaltrains, especially with guitarists that seem more involved with pedals, flat boards do seem more popular over all though

guitrr, dmbandtimmy and jrjones like this.
  3. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

I think the flat boards are easier to get in a size efficient case and pack/travel with. That could definitely play a role for touring musicians

4. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Funkensprühender Feuerregen Gold Supporting Member

I think most pros do not over-obsess about their pedal boards simply because they focus on available sounds and playing. It is us amateurs that have a field day configuring, buying and filling a Schmidt Array. Although I don't own a pedalboard at all (I am a two pedals in front of amp guy, one of which is always a real spring reverb), whenever I see a Schmidt Array I get GAS.

5. scook

scook Supporting Member

Wow I have never heard of Schmidt array so just looked it up.

They are beautiful, but at those prices looks like one of the stupidest gear purchases you could make!

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

You know, of all the shows I've been to, I can't ever remember going up and looking at someones pedal board, and if I had, the board wouldn't have made an impression anyway.

I've used a piece of plywood, spray painted black. More than once. Now I'm using a black colored shelf I bought at home depot. Size and weight make a dif when you move it a lot.

7. Riffa

Riffa Member

Pedaltrains, baby. I ain’t no pro, but I know what’s good :cool:

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

The plural of anecdote is not data

BerkeleyJones, DaveNJ, guff and 49 others like this.
  9. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

Why is it a stupid purchase? If you’ve got the money and want to spend it on a pedalboard, that makes it stupid?

10. scook

scook Supporting Member

It's merely my opinion. Not interested in arguing with you about this.

If you're rich, more power to you. I am talking about people with budgets who buy these instead of a new guitar.

11. Viper 900

Viper 900 Member

When I used to tech for a few bands, I switched them from pedaltrain style boards to flat, flightcases boards.

I wanted everything to be accessible from the top side should a problem arise. If you’re having to diagnose a problem at the foot of the guitarist the last thing you want to be doing is flipping the board and having to search underneath for a duff connection or power supply.

pedaltrains and all that are fine for home and studio rehearsals, but for me, they aren’t a gigging board.

guff, Meriphew, tele4444 and 49 others like this.
  12. woof*

woof* Member

List of pro players with flat boards verses list of non flat board pro players?

jrjones, lp_bruce and scook like this.
  13. natmiss

natmiss Member

That's why all my cables and power supply are on top of my pedal train..

14. mk.ufo1988

mk.ufo1988 Member

You can fit more onto a flatboard. And if you need to troubleshoot anything with a flatboard, you don't have to flip the board upside down to get at the cables.

15. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Remember: Just because a pro uses it, doesn't make it a professional solution. However, flat boards are simply way easier to maintain and troubleshoot when something goes wrong. I see those Schmidt-Array/Gigrig boards everywhere and I simply don't get why anyone would use them. Yes, they look pretty, but I've never seen anyone do proper cable dressing that is needed to make the board reliable. Ever seen how they look under the hood? Good luck finding a bad cable in there.

16. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Yeah flat boards rule. Nicer looking and more rugged. Most pro builders won’t touch a pedaltrain from what I’ve seen.

crazyboutguitars and GeorgeNada like this.
  17. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Tons of pros use Pedaltrain. I always check out the guitarist's gear, whether live or on tv. Pedaltrains are very common, across all genres.

18. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Quote of the year.

19. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Every guitarist I personally know, who makes decent money from music, uses a Pedaltrain.

Not sure I’ve even seen a flat pedalboard in the wild.

guitrr, PFDarkside and woof* like this.
  20. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

:confused