• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

seen a John Mayer OM martin?

fenderfreak

hi,

anyone know any shop (i do mean anywhere in US) that has his OM-28JM for sale so i can try it out first before committing?

is the OMJM a limited edition as well or is it an on going production model?

thanks!

asintoras

I have seen it in many stores here in Texas (Austin/Houston). It's an amazing instrument. Together with the Eric Clapton signature, is my favorite Martin.

fenderfreak

thanks for the reply. are you referring to the OM-28JM or OMJM? i am specifically looking for the OM-28JM only. if it's the OM-28JM a website or a contact number would be helpful. :)

thanks!

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
What's the diff with the OM-28JM and the OMJM? Also, you can get the regular production OM28V which is essentially the same guitar (better bracing in my opinion) than the OMJM for probably a few $$ less.

Strat

I use an Eric Johnson Signature Martin, J-sized body, because the inlays are the coolest thing Martin has ever done. The Adobe wash top is a little weird though. I played a JM model and loved it too. good luck.

Beagle1

Silver Supporting Member
The OM28-JM was the first John Mayer signature guitar that Martin produced. It was a limited run of 400 some guitars, and has long been sold out. The model was so popular that they decided to produce a regular Mayer signature model (ie not a limited run), which is the OMJM.

The two models are similar in some ways...Engelmann spruce top with Indian Rosewood back and sides, and the Martin low-profile neck shape with 1-11/16 width at the nut. However, the OM28-JM had lots of extra inlay work that the OMJM does not have.

More importantly the OM28-JM used the Martin dovetail neck joint, whereas the OMJM is a bolt on. I own a OMJM and have never had the opportunity to play an OM28-JM, so I couldn't really comment on how much of a difference the neck joint is.

However, I will say that I am really pleased with my OMJM and it has become my favorite acoustic to play (I also own a Taylor 714, a Huss & Dalton OM, and a Martin OM-18 Laurence Juber). I picked the OMJM up off the wall at a guitar store and just could not put it down.

I'm sure there's some variability among the OMJM's out there...you'll probably find some really nice ones, and some that are just OK. I would expect the same to be true of the OM28-JM's as well. Best thing is to play before buying, or at least buy from a place with a good return policy.

Hope that helps!

shadowbox

Gold Supporting Member
I played an OMJM and loved it. I'd snap one up in a heartbeat if I had the ready cash.

groovadelic

I just played one on saturday... awesome guitar. They had one at Guitar Center in Arlington Hts IL. Played lke butter and had nice bass and crisp highs... strong effortless projection. Everything you would come to expect from a high end Martin.

fenderfreak

What's the diff with the OM-28JM and the OMJM? Also, you can get the regular production OM28V which is essentially the same guitar (better bracing in my opinion) than the OMJM for probably a few $$ less.
i can't get use to the V neck. the JM signature has a slim neck which worked perfect for me.

but yea, i tried the OMJM and it was an excellent piece of instrument. the sound was sweet and action played like butter.

hence i am now looking for a OM-28JM

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
The OM-28JM will be nearly impossible to find. I had #48 for a few years, but stupidly sold it. The one that I had was the best small body guitar I'd ever played. I can't speak to all of them, but I think there are only something like 400 made. I paid around $1800 for mine back in about 2004, but now they are through the roof, just like the original Clapton 000, the versions before the production one that's out now. The OMJM is not the same guitar, not the same feel or depth of sound, different neck, and the pickup is different too.

mikeman71

Amazing guitar! I am satisfied with both of my OMJM and OM28JM. You really can't go wrong with the OMJM--price wise...It will be really hard to find a used OM28JM for under $4000. I should mention to you that there is one used at Ebay for $4800(model#118). If you have the$$$$ go for it!--they will continue to go up in price because of the limited run and simply because it's JM's main acoustic gear. Good luck!

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
i can't get use to the V neck. the JM signature has a slim neck which worked perfect for me.

but yea, i tried the OMJM and it was an excellent piece of instrument. the sound was sweet and action played like butter.

hence i am now looking for a OM-28JM
Nice, I didn't appreciate the differences between the two JM's out there. I did try one myself and liked it, but have had the OM28-V for some time and really dig the V neck on it. The OM bodies are just so damn good and I was glad to see JM use this style for his main acoustic.

fenderfreak

Amazing guitar! I am satisfied with both of my OMJM and OM28JM. You really can't go wrong with the OMJM--price wise...It will be really hard to find a used OM28JM for under $4000. I should mention to you that there is one used at Ebay for $4800(model#118). If you have the$$$$ go for it!--they will continue to go up in price because of the limited run and simply because it's JM's main acoustic gear. Good luck!
hi, thanks for the heads up. just went to eBay. the seller is asking $4999... LOL... i do believe it's too high a asking price.

Divrack

Ok I JUST got back from my local guitar store and I noticed a gorgeous small bodied Used Martin for sale. I promptly pulled it off the rack and started playing it I loved it. The guy said it was a John Mayer signature model Not knowing ANYTHING about it I came home to a little investigating and it led me here. He is asking 1995.00 with case Is this a good deal?? The guitar is dead mint I could have played it all night But know i see there are two John Mayer models out there Your input please.... Im a novice collector IS this something I should pick up ? I personally cant stand the guy but The guitar is a joy to play

Last edited:

amberzombie

Good luck finding one I have #333 which is supposedly one of only 3 which made it to Australia through retail shops. this is the OM-28JM I'm talking about.

it is essentially THE only OM guitar i've tried which manages to sound almost like a dreadnought. what a guitar.

wsaraceni

i played an om-28jm once. amazing guitar. if i had that and a dm3md in a room, id be hard pressed to pick which one i left with

tonesurfer

I'd never buy a guitar just cause someone has their name attached to it, even among the top guitar makers in the world. You got to hear demos or run the racks in person to guarantee a real special one that touches your soul. They all have their individual personalities.

Trending Topics