Seized pot solution???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by IIIBOOMERIII, Dec 25, 2007.

1. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I had the treble pot on a Princeton Reverb just about seize up.
    I had already used tuner cleaner many times and was about to
    give up and just replace it. I was messing around in my garage
    when I saw a can of Gumout Carburetor Cleaner and said why
    not, I am going to replace it anyway. I could not believe that on
    one application the pot let go and worked. I thought the Gumout
    worked great. The only draw back is the fumes. Has anyone ever
    tried this? Is it a bad idea?

2. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

I've used WD 40 in the same situation. In the future don't use any old tuner/electronics cleaner. I only use Caig stuff these days and I have not had this problem repeat. Get some D5 and MCL, clean the pot with D5 and then lube with MCL.

3. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

WD40 is safe, I would not recommend Gumout carb cleaner be used around electronic components. As a DIY car mech, I've seen it 'melt' some materials that are impervious to most chemicals. Gumout will strip all the lube out of the pot and cause the electrical contacts to oxidize quickly, I'd spray it again with the control cleaner to get some lube back in there.

4. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Damn....you beat me to it! Gotta be quick around here!

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

No kidding!

6. JJman

JJman Member

There was a thread on usenet a while back about wd-40 for pots. This was before website based groups really existed. It became quite a flame war and included letters of inquiry to the manufacturer of wd-40. IIRC, wd-40 would not answer the question. The root of the disagreement was whether wd-40 eventually results in a gumming result.

I personally recommend against using wd-40 in anything that will ever be indoors since it smells so bad. Carb cleaner sounds like a no-no too. I used to work at an auto parts store and those sprays differ and can be smelly and aggressive.

“Tuner” sprays, and Craig’s deox it and such both have mineral oil in them. I have and use both. The Radio Shack tuner cleaner comes out at the speed of light which I don’t like. True “Contact cleaner” has no oil and dries with no residue at all, like brake cleaner spray (which also smells like crap.)

You want some lubricant left behind.