Selena: 25 Year Anniversary of Last Concert

Bankston

People around the country may not know this but the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (a/k/a Rodeo Houston) is kind of a big deal around here. It lasts for 2.5 weeks and features some of the biggest names in music performing in NRG Stadium every night. It kicks off every year with a huge BBQ event and this year it starts tomorrow.

Anyway, on February 26, 1995, Selena blew the roof off the Astrodome with a breakout performance as she was just crossing over into mainstream pop super stardom. It would be her last concert as she was murdered about a month later on March 31, 1995.

Cannot believe it's been 25 years.

What a sad story. I remember maybe 7-8 years ago visiting an area in South Texas and there was a statue of her memorializing her among other things. A life cut short really hit that music scene hard.

Bankston

Yep. There is a statue of her in Corpus Christi, which is where her family moved after a few years in her birthplace of Lake Jackson (about 45 minutes south of Houston).

Considering how the Latin music scene exploded in the late 90's, it seems almost certain that Selena would've become a major international superstar on at least the level of Shakira. She was pretty much the total package. Beauty, talent, charisma, personality, etc. The J-Lo movie definitely helped raise her profile. There's also a Netflix series about her life in the works.

After Selena's death, Sony Music was scouting talent for their Latin music sector and offered my wife a development deal. This was years before I met her, and her husband at the time threatened to divorce her if she took the deal. So she passed. But it's a blessing that she did because I would've never met her if she hadn't.

27sauce

I moved to San Antonio in ‘00 and every major label still had an office/outpost here, looking for the next Selena. Wild to think about.

Chris Perez played Woodstock 99. That’s how big she was. Lol.

Bankston

I moved to San Antonio in ‘00 and every major label still had an office/outpost here, looking for the next Selena. Wild to think about.

Chris Perez played Woodstock 99. That’s how big she was. Lol.

Chris is still active. His band has a gig scheduled in Houston with a Selena tribute act also on the bill.

Which just seems weird to me.

27sauce

Chris is still active. His band has a gig scheduled in Houston with a Selena tribute act also on the bill.

Which just seems weird to me.
Oh for sure. It’s virtually impossible to be here and not cross paths with him often. Lots of band-member crossover.

isn’t that weird?
It’s a pretty sorted relationship between her family, him, and the estate. They shut down just about everything he does that’s Selena related.

How did her family retain ownership of her estate? I thought they were married at the time of her death. Wouldn't he be the primary recipient???

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
I remember hearing about this, but didn't really know her music or anything about her....i was in school trying to move through my life as it was....
weird to think she was only 23....so young....sad

Bankston

This is my wife's favorite Selena song, which sort of automatically make it mine, too. Haha.

What a voice and she could bring it live. Hardly a missed note despite the constant movement:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom