Self-oscillation from fuzz w/guitar vol. knob?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Feb 11, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

Got this gnarly new dual channel (Ge + Si) fuzz pedal and when both sides are cranked, my guitar's volume pot produces low, rumbling feedback when it's all the way off, and a slightly higher pitched version of the same sound when the pot's wide open. Wilder still, the tone controls on the fuzz can raise or lower the pitch of this sound like a theramin or a synth.

Isn't difficult to dial it out, so it's not a problem (kinda cool actually) but I've had a few fuzzes (including the infamous Truly Beautiful Disaster) and never heard anything like this..

This' a new one for me, and I figured someone could could explain what's happening in not too technical terms..

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

The ZVex Fuzz Factory does this too, no idea how/why.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Y'know, I've wanted one of those for a long time. Now I'm gonna have to get one..

I've spent years working on good tone, but playing w/noise for the last couple of months has really pushed the boundaries of my concept of *music*. Lots of fun, too.

Thanks for posting!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'd get a Fuzz probe if I were you, it's the same pedal but you can control the stability control (the oine that makes it freak out) with your foot, via the proximity pad.

5. Craise

Craise Member

Sorry I can't help in Technial terms...or help at all... but if you are taking about the sybil running with the switch down with both fuzzes going full tilt in series then there is no surprise, Your going to here that sound...it's just what fuzzes do when you run two together with both cranked... On some Hendrix records you will hear this sound..and him messing with it... It's part of the Fuzz sound for sure... Not a broken pedal. When I run it in series the sybil gets super nasty for sure(in a thick, full good way)...but you got to keep the gain down a bit... If you understand all this...and just wanted to know why? fuzzes do this....sorry can't help with the tech.

:AOK

6. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

My Vox Tone Bender would do this if the guitar cord wasn't plugged in all the way--much fun. Replaced the jack years later and now it won't.

7. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Sybil...Hades...or ??? Pic? If it's Sybil, here's a one sheet from Retroman that describes the functions, you may be overloading the transistors by running it the way you are...

http://www.retroman-music.com/Sybil%20info%20sheet.doc

:cool:

8. drolling

drolling Member

Didn't mean to give the impression I was complaining- like I said, it's easy to control by adjusting the guitar's volume, or one of the pots on the fuzz.

I'm really enjoying it, actually. It's just a new thing to me, and after all these years messing with this stuff, surprises are rare.

I'm going to hook a few of my older fuzzes together and see what happens. Very cool to hear notes coming from the amp without touching my guitar..

9. amoebas

amoebas Guest

wait til you get a goodlong digital delay:D