1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Self-Powered Floor Monitor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Stick&LeafTrap, May 22, 2011.

1. Stick&LeafTrap

Stick&LeafTrap Member

Could anyone recommend a good self-powered floor monitor? I'm going to be using it in my house so I can plug a mic in and hear my vocals over my guitar in a way that would be closer to a live environment.

I don't want to get into the whole PA system thing. Been there. Too much gear for my application.

I find that when I'm playing my guitar at moderate volume, I have to force my vocals out in order to make them audible, which changes the tonality of my voice. I'm just looking to be able to sing normally and still hear it over a semi-loud guitar. It would also be a huge bonus if the monitor could act as a decent keyboard amp as well. I don't need any fancy controls, but I would like a quality product. Looking to spend $350 or less, but would be willing to go over for the right product.

Thanks in advance!

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

For that budget, I'd look at Carvin if you want something new. Great stuff and reasonably priced. If you could afford it by selling some gear, a QSC K 12 is killer. Good luck!

3. sheatone

sheatone Member

+1 on the QSC K12s. Great speakers!

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

5. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

the Roland KC series of Keyboards amps are relatively inexpensive and usually plentiful on CL. I used one for years as my "swiss army amp".

6. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Those plastic cabinet JBL 10"s are powered and used, probably in your budget. They're not great but not bad either.

7. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I bought one of these: http://www.google.com/products/cata...FoTpgQebw4VY&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAQ&biw=1259&bih=599#

for my wife a year ago. She does about 150 funerals and some weddings a year and was tired of singing in churches that had crappy or no monitors. Nice little rig. Sounds good, flexible and has two channels. Behringer copied it (news flash there) and theirs is about 1/4 less though I 've never heard it.

8. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I have a Powered Behringer near field monitor and it sounds fabulous!
    One of the only "B" products I would endorse. Its loud enough and you have the Vol and EQ at your fingertips. When placed on a mic stand, its perfect.