Sell me on the Eventide Timefactor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 95strat, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 95strat

95strat Member

I've got a TC Electronics Nova Delay, and I get along well with it, but I do like the midi option on the Eventide. I know I can do more presets with the Timefactor, but what other advantages does it have?

Anyone been able to compare the two sound wise?

2. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have both. Soundwise, the Nova comes out on top to me. They have a new download for the Time factor to try and perk it up a little but I haven't tried it yet. Nova is fuller and warmer sounding to me, Timefactor is more digital sounding.

3. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

They seem to be good enough for Jerry Cantrell

[​IMG]

:aok:dunno

4. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

The TF is the best delay unit I have tried, I was so impressed I bought a ModFactor and pre ordered a pitchfactor.

Fantasic digital delay, the only downside was the vintage models were not as great as the digital ones. BUT as others have said there is a new firmware (beta at the moment) and the improvements are mainly around the vintage delays and they are so good I just sold my last analogue delay as I felt I did not need it any more.

The updates are getting very good reviews, but they are still betas at the moment.

Cheers

BMF

5. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Try to perk it up a little? :messedup :crazy

They made big improvements on the Vintage and on the Tape echo models, increased the presets from 40 to 100 (not just preset spaces, but many new presets as well) as well as having many other tweaks and improvements. They have gone well beyond "perk it up a little" IMO. The current beta and is due out as an official release soon. The fact that the TimeFactor can be updated this way in and of itself is a major difference and plus in favor of the TF.

Sound is subjective, so even with the new update, you might still feel this way. I however do not. A friend has the Nova delay, and while he felt the Eventide was not worth the extra money before, he no longer feels that way after hearing it now (new SW), and now agrees the Eventide is just better in every way and worth the extra money. I felt it was worth the money before and now I really think it's worth the extra money.

BTW, I am not a TC basher. I like the Nova delay for what it is, use a TC Nova Drive in my current main gigging setup and own/used other TC gear as well, and generally think they make great stuff.

Before the update, I felt the TF was a good multi sound delay which kept me from using two or three seperate pedals on my gigging board. The TimeFactor with the update now actually inspires me to make music, and I can (and do) sometimes get lost in its sound, not just it's possibilities.

6. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I guess I'll have to try the update. I've always been a little dissapointed in it like it came new. I was like your friend, just thought it was too expensive for what it was. Actually I am using a DLS echo tap and a T-rex replica, I get much better tone with these two than the Nova or TF.

7. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

please try the update, it really makes a big difference to the vintage delays.

Cheers

BMF

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Besides all the good points made above, having dual delays gives you tremendous possibilities, especially in stereo. And that applies to all delay modes.

You can also get very good room reverbs using the multi tap mode. Don't forget chorusing too.

I believe they're working on software to update patches on your computer and then dump it to the box. That would be killer. It would be even better if you could make changes on your screen and hear it in real time - then save.

9. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

SW editors that you can make and hear the changes aren't exactly new technology. It's been discussed on the Eventide forum and using the midi port and a midi editor with TF graphics shouldn't be too hard for them to come up with. There's also talk of using a stand alone and plug in VST platform as well with the USB port which would be really nice- opening up the Factor pedals to DAW production and automation. Try that with a Nova Delay or a DMM. Hopefully it won't take them too long.

10. 95strat

95strat Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd love to get my hands on one. I'll have to find a used one. They are really expensive. I'm thinking of redoing my board and eventually getting a Musicomlab switcher to prevent toe tapping. That will be way down the road though.

11. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

If you get a used one, make sure the original owner unregisters it on the Eventide site (if they registered it at all) so you can register it in your name and get all of the SW updates/improvements as they are released. :aok

12. tronus

tronus Member

I just got a midi foot controller for my Timefactor yesterday and programmed it tonight. Now I'm gonna get a effects router, but for now its a glorified patch changer. I leave my Timefactor up on my amp head and keep it in the loop with short cables. I control it with the TGP members Timefactor contoller (tap tempo and on and off) and use the midi controller to change from my clean delay to my lead delay, etc...

On my tape delay for my clean echoey sound. 40-1

[​IMG]

Switch to my lead delay. Vintage delay. 40-2

[​IMG]

Then to my auxillery wierd sounding tape delay that I started working on the other night 40-3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gordonm

gordonm Member

The twin delays are great.. you can try Brian May style harmonies (900ms on A- 1800ms on B). also its brilliant that you can use an expression pedal to control all the knobs. I also think its awesome that you can download software upgrades for free.

14. plygtar

plygtar Member

Had a Timefactor that I just sold. I really liked the quality of the delays. Never had any problem with it. I will miss that. However, there are a number of aspects that didn't suit my needs. I did not like that it didn't have a level control. When plugged into its power adapter it is always juiced up with the LEDs lit so you need to put the wart on a separate power strip in order to cut the power to it or else unplug the wart or cable. It required its own 12V high amperage 1200 ma adapter and could not be powered by a Fuel Tank or other such power supply. Although not a flaw of the pedal, it had way too much functionality than I ever needed requiring much tweaking when switching between the various delay types. It took up more space on my small board then I wanted. I guess minor inconveniences for some. However, if you're after a digital do all delay pedal with tap, saving presets, midi, and dual delay that you can tweak then I think that this is the pedal for you. In addition Eventide provides firmware updates from their web site.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  15. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The TF rules: no question. With all the updates, saveable presets, & amazing sounds, you can't go wrong. It's a music-making machine. I've owned dozens of stompbox delays (as well as real tape echoes, & vintage 16 bit rack units) over the past 30 years & the TF takes the cake.

16. pavlov

pavlov Senior Member

The Tonemerchants stadium waiting for Guthrie.
    I didn't like the Timefactor because it didn't work well in my effects loop. It worked well when i used kill/dry but then everything else in my loop didn't work. I tried every possible mode, use my loop parallel or serial and no luck. Plus, for $400 i thought it sounded ok, not great.

If you need a digital unit that can sound more analog then check out the Damage Control Timeline or the Pigtronix Echolution.

17. SteveO

SteveO Member

I have a TimeFactor and a ModFactor. Had a Nova Delay and Nova Modulator, don't any more. If you're happy with your TC pedal, you should avoid trying the Eventide, 'cause you'll probably wind up not liking the TC unit as much as you did...

18. 95strat

95strat Member

Well, looks like I'm going to start looking for a used one. Thanks guys.

19. Nork

Nork Member

ha, i guess my points are moot. if you do check back, i'll tell ya that i had an nd1 and just got my TF today.

there is a couple thing that i miss on the nd1 - one of them is having the converters able to be calibrated.

uh...actually. i think that's it. i've had some difficulty updating the TF to the new beta, but i think it's mostly my computer.

dude...just...stellar. i'm in the "it inspires me" boat. the superdelay that i had on loan for a bit did too, but, prices being equal, it's totally worth it. i don't think there's anything wrong with the used ones - the updateable SW was a big seller for me (now if i could only get it working). it's really designed as a pedal that is mostly controlled via midi, the usb seems an after thought, but i'll get it working eventually.

good luck. also, check your inbox, you've got a pm.

20. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Overall quality of delays is fanfingtastick. Buffer is excellnt. More functonality than you may need but it's there if you do. Midi controlable. USB updates.
    I prefer it to the Nova, DD20, T-rex, Damagecontrol.