Sell me on the Zendrive and Mosferato pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGrooveking, Jul 24, 2006.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    One can never have enough good tone, I haven't had a chance to play through these, so I ask. I already play through, CJOD, Timmy, Analogman Silver TS9, and a few other pedals. I have noticed some owners of these pedals are pretty passionate about them, so it beg's to be ask, why? What pedals did you used to play through before going with or not going with these?

TheGrooveking

2. Frethog

Frethog Member

Much has been said about each and a search would surely give you more ammunition than you would need to pull the trigger on either.

I can only speak for the Zendrive so I’ll keep my pitch succinct: It has a distinct flavor all its own. Some may complain that it still has too much mids, but nothing like a TS-9. It sounds a little more like a second channel on an amp as opposed to just another pedal. It is best at medium to low gain, yet is capable of flexing some muscle.

And the best part is….it stacks awesome with a Timmy!

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Very true. It si also buttery smooth. It is very ampish and retains definition well.

Very soft distortion grain. I was very impressed and have become very fond of this pedal (thanks to a fellow GP member). It is easier to eq than a timmy but does have more mids and less bass than a timmy.

It does not have as much "crunch or grit" as a TS-9 though.

4. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

I have a Mosferatu which is pretty cool. Most distortions sound like crap when run into a dirty amp (in my case, a cranked 69 SL). The Mosferatu doesn't.

The down sides: Some bass loss and it seems to pick up hum a little bit.

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Just buy them. You can make your money back if you dont like them. Word of advice though. I like the Zendrive 2 MUCH better than the Zen 1. Even more clear and articulate.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I'd say if you have the CJOD, you've got it covered. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    Greg

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Zen's cut style tone controls and it's overall voicing are why I kept it...

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I think I'm one of the few who prefer the Mos over the Zen. Beyond the smooth OD, you get absolutely HUGE sustain with the Mos. Leaping harmonics too!

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

I love my Zendrive, tons of threads have already been dedicated to its merit.

10. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Member

Again I can only speak for the Zen, but...

Although it is a great pedal I don't think it warrants paying $300 if you want one without a long wait. There are many similar pedals out there that will do a very similar job for a whole lot less.