Sell Mesa Express 5:50 Non-Plus to Buy Plus?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TowMater, Mar 8, 2015.

1. TowMater

TowMater Member

Guys -

I have a Mesa Express 5:50 (non-plus)j that I bought new over six years ago. I started shopping around for a new high-end boutique amp mainly because I was bored with the 5:50. After buying/returning/selling some of the top rated $2,000 - $3,000 amps mentioned herre at TGP, I just don't think there is anything out there that is better for me than the 5:50. So I have a new found love for the 5:50. But there is still one amp that intrigues me - the 5:50+. Is there a significant improvement in the clean channel (or other channels) with the plus over the non-plus? Or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks in advance!

2. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Sounds to me like you have commitment issues :)

I have a 5:25 and when the + model came out I thought about it for a while.....but to be honest, I've discovered that within certain boundaries, I still just sound like me no matter what amp I play through. That's not to say that amps are not different, they are. But for the vast majority of what I do, and where I do it, the amps I have cover it all 'very' well.

The challenge is, if your just bored with the amp, but like it's tonality, you may end up swapping it out for a loss and be in exactly the same boat with a 5:50+ in a year from now, and only have a few less $$ to show for it. Now, if there was a specific feature or capability of the 5:50+ that you needed, well, that's a whole different story.

And for reference, I have the following.

Mesa 5:25
    Mesa Triaxis
    Engl E530
    Fender Hot Rod Delux III

The only amps I got rid of where my Line6 stuff and a Blackheart.

3. dilznik

dilznik Member

Solo and EQ options make the + a worthwhile upgrade.

4. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Aren't pedals in the loop just as good as the built in solo and eq functions?

5. Adel2

Adel2 Member

This was what I was going to ask as well. It appears to be a cheaper option to get a used 5:50 (or stick with the one you own) and put a graphic eq in the loop and use boost pedals out front or in the loop as well. To the OP; which amps did you try the 5:50 against? Just curious.

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

I don't know that I'd do what you're suggesting.

If I were in the market for one and didn't already have one, I'd probably go for the plus. I think the solo boost and the three-tiered power structure is worth the extra money. I don't think I'd trade a non-plus version for the plus version. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with the extra money.

7. TowMater

TowMater Member

Bogner Shiva
    Carr Rambler
    Carr Sportman
    Carol Ann OD-2
    Mesa Royal Atlantic

I actually bought and returned or sold all of the above. I really liked them all, and truthfully each one was better than the 5:50 in at least one area (different for each amp). But none of them was as good all around at the 5:50, and certainly none was worth spending $2,000+ when I already have a real good amp.

8. dilznik

dilznik Member

I don't think so. More stuff to carry. And you can set the EQ differently per channel. There's the geq and also the contour knob, so you could have geq on chan 1 and contour eq on chan 2. I have geq on all the time on chan 2 and have the contour on chan 1 set to a less aggressive setting and linked to the footswitch so I can toggle it depending on the pedals I'm using.
    Also the 3-way wattage settings per channel are something I use a lot as well.
    Personally I would upgrade. Or maybe get the plus and keep the non plus as a backup.

9. kbgear

kbgear Member

Or wait and see if a Mark Five: 50 comes out soon. :)