• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Sell or not to sell?!

guitarplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having a hard time deciding what I should do regarding selling an instrument in order to buy another. Does this should familiar? :)

I recently purchased a great sounding very vintage Gibson A-1 Mandolin. I was thinking I could use it on a couple of songs I'm writing/recording as an accent acoustic instrument similar to the way a Counting Crows uses a mandolin as an accent acoustic for some of their alternative rock songs. It sounds fantastic - very warm and great playability. It's really only an experiment and I haven't really had a chance to do much with it in a mix and I'm not sure if it's something I'll actually use - "Dammit Jim, I'm a Guitar player not a Mandolin player!" :)

I've been listening a lot lately to folk/rock singer/songwriters like Joe Purdy, for example, who use a a very warm sweet sounding vintage Gibson acoustic for many of their songs and I'm hooked on the tone and vibe of the old Gibson acoustics! I've located a 1963 Gibson J-45 which, I haven't played, but from speaking with the dealer and others I have heard, I have every reason to believe it's a very warm sweet sounding guitar (I've heard it over the phone - I know but it's better than nothing). I can purchase it on the usual 48 hour approval if I don't like it. My dilemma is that I would have to sell something in order to help fund the purchase and the only piece of gear that I could possibly part with is the mandolin. It may turn out I never use the mandolin and I'm afraid I'll miss out on a great sounding vintage Gibson guitar. On the other hand, I don't want to give on the Mandolin experiment until I'm pretty sure whether or not I'll really use it. Can anyone offer some words of advice? I write and record folk/alt rock/pop similar to Counting Crows, Joe Purdy, David Wilcox, etc. Thanks!

jcotten

My deciding question would be which one I would be more likely to use? For me, it would be the J-45. The mandolin would be a handy, but seldom used toy. Don't know if you're the same or not.

jcotten

guitarplayer

Silver Supporting Member
My deciding question would be which one I would be more likely to use? For me, it would be the J-45. The mandolin would be a handy, but seldom used toy. Don't know if you're the same or not.

jcotten
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's what I'm thinking. My only other acoustic is a Taylor 810 which I like a lot but as I'm sure you kow is a much brighter acoustic and generates a much "flatter" response than the Gibson. The gibson would provide more warmth sweeter tones with more harmonic overtones. I'm sure I'd still use the Taylor on some songs but I know I could use the Gibson on others and, since I'm a guitar player, I'm sure I would use the it more than the mandolin.

jcotten

My nice guitars are Taylors, but I know how much I'd enjoy adding a J-45 for it's contrasting sound. I'd have to play it a good bit, probably, to get used to it's feel, but I'd enjoy the exercise!

jcotten

Mark EL

Silver Supporting Member
I sold a nice mandolin to help finance a nice guitar. I'm much more of a guitar player than a mandolinist, so it's missed but not that much.

If you can't devote the time to developing your ability on the mandolin and play guitar all the time, I'd get the right guitar, and look for a cheap mandolin for when the urge strikes.

guitarplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I sold a nice mandolin to help finance a nice guitar. I'm much more of a guitar player than a mandolinist, so it's missed but not that much.

If you can't devote the time to developing your ability on the mandolin and play guitar all the time, I'd get the right guitar, and look for a cheap mandolin for when the urge strikes.
Good advice. I think that's what I'm going to do. I've been wanting a great warm sounding Gibson for some time. I know that mic placement is really important but only a Gibson sounds like a Gibson. :) I truly believe (at least for me) it's easy to get in a rut playing the same guitar all of the time and having another guitar that is very different can inspire the player. At least that's true for me. I'll go some time when picking up the guitar I just play the same stuff with the same tone, etc. Maybe I'm rationalizing the purchase (at least partly :)) but I really think the right guitar could spark more creativity and different ideas.:dude Thanks again to everyone for the good advice. I'll post a pic if/when I find the right one! :)

Trending Topics