Sell Tele or just buy a new body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pete12string, May 6, 2016.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Here's the story. I have a 2012 Fender American Special Telecaster in the Blonde finish. It has Fralin p/u's, Callaham saddles and hard shell case. The guitar is spotless - no scratches or marks at all. I like the feel of the neck, as well as the Fralin pickups which give it a hotter sound. However, I have serious GAS for a Tele body with double binding. My original thought was to sell the Special and search out a '62 reissue Custom Tele in either Surf Green, Olympic White, Fiesta Red, etc. I have one '62 reissue Tele in Sunburst already, so I know I get along fine with either the 7.25" or 9.5" radius (I have 2 AVRI Strats with 7.25" radius and love 'em as well as a 2014 Am.Std Strat with the 9.5" and love that too!).

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a custom body from Warmoth and swap bodies on the Special. I priced it out; for an Alder body with solid finish, double binding and pickguard it would be $625. I could then either hang on to the original Blonde body or sell it.

So let me know what you guys think of the two options:
    1. Sell the Special and shop for a '62 reissue.
    2. Buy a Warmoth (or other maker) body and do a swap on the Special. Would you hold on to the original body?
    Thanks!
    Pete

2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I'd sell off and hunt down what you want, unless you are able and ready to fork out more cash to paint/finish that warmoth body.

pete12string likes this.
  3. pete12string

The $625 includes a solid color finish with double binding and a pickguard. At least that's how it prices out on the website. :)

4. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Oh, then in that case I'd just order up the body and have at it. I'd keep the old husk in case the warmoth body sounds crap, that way you could still re-assmble and sell into something else.

pete12string likes this.
  5. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

How's about getting a Squier CV Custom and swapping out bodies and then you'll have a extra Tele to either keep or sell? Lot's cheaper and they have fairly decent bodies.

pete12string likes this.
  6. pete12string

I just checked out the Squier CV Custom and it looks like they are only available in Sunburst. My RI '62 is Sunburst so I'm looking for something else. Were they available in other colors?

7. 335guy

335guy Member

Allparts sells a couple of double bound Tele bodies. One is already finished in black
    https://www.allparts.com/TBF-BKB-Bl...-Body-for-Telecaster-With-Binding_p_3580.html

and the other is unfinished
    https://www.allparts.com/TBO-B-Replacement-Body-for-Telecaster-With-White-Binding_p_3603.html

The unfinished one costs $330 ( per the website but a dealer might stock and sell for less? ). So, maybe find a person locally who would do a good paint job on a double bound body.

IDK how the Warmoth costs compare. Allpart bodies are alder and the black paint is poly of some kind, not lacquer.

I have the black one I got yrs ago really cheap on sale. Not overly heavy and seems to be comparable to genuine Fender bodies. I think those Squire CV Custom Teles only come in sunburst. I've never seen them in any other color.

pete12string likes this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Member

You'll be able to sell that Tele body on fleabay without a doubt. That should bring down the cost of the Warmoth body to around $400-$450.

pete12string likes this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Member

Call MJT. They'll hook you up for less than Warmoth

pete12string likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Warmoth is having a 20% off sale on chambered bodies. There are Tele bodies in stock as well.

11. cheezit

cheezit Member

Every guitar is different, and every body sounds different. Assuming you have the cash, I'd shop around until you find the tele you want, compare the sound/feel to what you have, and only go ahead if you know the new guitar is as good or better. Then sell the old one, which should be easy.

I like the idea of a custom part; i don't like the idea of not being able to hear it before I buy.