Sellers with "Make an Offer", but they don't consider offers...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigfoamfinger, Mar 28, 2020.

1. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Recently made a very reasonable offer on an item (8% less than ask price) and the offer sat until it expired. No counter or decline. No message. Nothing

No big deal really, I'll find another. I've just seen this a few times personally and always thought it was weird to accept offers but ignore the reasonable ones. It would be one thing if these were extreme low-ball offers, but I keep them very reasonable based on past sales and current asking price

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    stratguy23, fretless, jbylake and 2 others like this.
  2. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

Maybe their app is set for no notifications and they di’int check the listing.

David Garner, misterg71 and johnnyjj like this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Oh, they've considered it . . .

4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

They provide balance against the equally annoying tire kickers.

5. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I, too, find this super annoying. I recently made an offer on a guitar over $900, which also had an $85 shipping charge. I offered $60 less than they were asking, plus it was only about a 6 hour drive, so I reckon shipping would only be about $45 if done in a smart manner. So really I felt like I was asking for about $20 off and actual shipping. I figured this was a shoo-in and the seller would respond immediately.

Offer expired 24 hours later. The guitar still sits online. The "Make an Offer" button is still there...

If the guy had just messaged me and said things were tight, could I pay full price? I would've said "sure" and been slightly annoyed. If there were no "Make an Offer" button present, I would've just paid for it straight up.

Since making an offer was an option, I went that route and tried to make a reasonable offer that both parties could feel good about. But since the seller didn't have the common decency to respond- at all- I just can't bring myself to give them my money. No matter how badly I want the guitar.

I don't get it. :dunno

6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

With a close offer that's completely ignored there's a good chance they just didn't see it, particularly if it's been listed a while.

I think some people use offers to gauge the market as well - I've done that occasionally where I've not really known how to value something, list it at what I'd like to get out of it and see what offers I get.

But however confident I am of my asking price if I do get offers I don't want to accept I send a friendly message saying 'I'm going to hold out a bit longer and see if I can get closer to my asking price' - often I get a 'fair enough, give me a shout if you change your mind' reply and it means if it's still sat there in a few weeks I can reconsider.

7. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

No matter how lowball an offer is, I always hit the decline button if I’m not going for it. I’ll usually leave a message to indicate why too.

I’ve never understood why so many people get infuriated with offers not to their liking. A lot of people even include “No lowball offers” in the listing. I hit decline and that’s the end of it.

8. stonem

stonem Member

The make offer button is there if you wanna pay MORE than asking price.

9. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

If Reverb is the site you're talking about, the listing when created automatically turns on the "accept offers" option. I just figure some sellers either don't know how to or don't care to turn it off.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Sellers who don't respond at all make me crazy. I found a nice partscaster Tele on local CL two weeks ago and emailed the seller with my name and number and some questions about the guitar. No response at all, and the ad is still up. Maybe he has COVID-19, who know? I would have possibly made an offer if he had responded. His loss.

A while ago, I came upon a Reverb ad with Make An Offer, so I made a very reasonable offer and got no response. I think it was $50 less than the asking price. Plus, the item was within easy driving distance, so I could have picked it up and told the seller, so he didn't have to pack and ship. No reply. This seems to happen more and more. I don't understand people sometimes.

If you have no intention of answering people who inquire about your gear for sale, don't waste our time. If you invite buyers to make an offer, then respond, one way or another. Don't leave a potential buyer hanging in uncertainty. It's bad manners. Then again, some people are just idiots with bad manners. :rolleyes:

120db, bluegrif and HERSCHEL like this.
  11. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Yes, that and listing on an international platform with "Local Pickup Only" seems ridiculous.

12. Brian N

Brian N Member

Obviously it's because they are open to higher offers.

They do it when the item is listed for, say, $100 but they'd also take $120

13. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. This one drives me a little bonkers.

I suppose it does provide a marketplace and billing system vs. something like Craigslist. But for an in-person transaction that's a pretty steep fee to pay vs. free.

14. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I tend to agree with that. That's what Craigslist is for. I guess it makes some sense in a densely populated city, but still seems the wrong platform for those kinds of sales. Still, if I see those listings on my computer, it shows "local pickup only" in gallery view at least. What's really annoying is on the phone app, I don't see they're not shipping until I go to the full listing. Nothing like seeing something you've been searching for only to find it's completely out of reach. Actually, there are a few areas where Reverb could learn a little bit from ebay. The shipping price should be displayed everywhere the price is displayed, not just the individual listing page. Also, the "prices, low to high" display order option should factor shipping, which ebay does. I'm not a fan of ebay and would rather use Reverb, but there is room for improvement.

15. Toosday

Toosday Member

The acceptance of reality process is long for some.

16. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

+1,000,000

CanuckChris, Junco Partner and nasonm like this.
  17. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I don’t think it makes a great deal of sense for a relatively expensive item located in a town of about 5000 that’s also more than a two hour drive from the nearest city. A particular amp has been on Reverb for over two years.

18. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

As others have noted, the only thing that bugs me is the "local pickup only". It's just the epitome of laziness. You want to sell the damn thing or not? My money is just as good in the other 49 states as it is in Washington.

19. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

If the offer is good, then yeah that's booboo on the seller, if they even saw it. But by default my phone goes off with the Reverb app notification and an email when I get an offer so I'm not sure how they couldn't have seen it. If your smart enough to navigate Reverb/online retail you are smart enough to manage your listings and work a smartphone.

Canard and bigfoamfinger like this.
  20. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

9 times out of 10 I will respond to (reasonable) offers with a counter offer if I don't jsut accept it outright. If the offer is within 20% or so of my asking price we can make a deal. 30% we can probably still make it happen if I need to move the thing.

Most offers I have gotten lately have been very, very low though. Like 50% to 60% off my asking price low. Anymore, if it is an extreme low ball offer I just ignore it. But putting 'no low ball offers' in your post is a textbook way to get low ball offers from the interwebz.