• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sellers with "Make an Offer", but they don't consider offers...

poppunk

Recently made a very reasonable offer on an item (8% less than ask price) and the offer sat until it expired. No counter or decline. No message. Nothing

No big deal really, I'll find another. I've just seen this a few times personally and always thought it was weird. It would be one thing if these were extreme low-ball offers, but I keep them very reasonable based on past sales and current asking price
When I've sold stuff on Reverb I price pretty aggressively and stuff sells. I think I took an offer once because it was reasonably close to what I was selling it for, and even though somebody was probably going to pick it up for the little difference, whatever. Take it because you can get it now.

If we're talking 8%, that's pretty close. But except for that one time I remember, people typically are sending offers for something like half of what I'm listing it for, and again these are aggressively priced and ultimately I haven't had issues selling pretty fast.

I'm not insulted or annoyed by those offers, I just blow them off because they're not worth even the incredibly minimal effort to log in or use the app or whatever to reject. It's like real life: when someone says something incredibly useless, it's easier to just to ignore it and move on.

StummerJoe

Platinum Supporting Member
Dare to dream.... It's been a buyer's market for quite a while, and they've come to expect dirt cheap (if not free) shipping. Asking a buyer to pay actual shipping costs is like __insert joke here__
Whatever. I've had no problem. When I under quote shipping, I eat it. If I over quote refund the difference. If your willing to take offers for dirt cheap, well again...think about it.o_O

FrankHendrix

Telephile
Gold Supporting Member
There are clowns out there selling gear on ‘Verb who have “open to offers” and when you make an offer for, say, 80% of posted price, they reject the offer, increase the posted price by $200 and increase shipping by $50. It’s like… “Are you totally deranged? Why on earth are you open to offers? Turn off the 'make an offers' button, if you’re gonna act like an asshat.”
There are clowns out there who are too stupid to understand that the absense of a "make offer" button is specifically so they won't make their idiotically lowball offers. But the asshats make them anyway and bitch and whine because someone doesn't want to sell something worth a grand for $600. Naturally, being asshats, they make the unsolicited offers anyway.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
I think, in some cases at least, your idea of a reasonable offer and that of the seller can be quite different. This is especially true when the seller has reduced the price already by a significant amount. Then sometimes any offer at all can seem like gouging. The seller might have it as a policy to consider offers but might read yours as unreasonable under the circumstances. I'm not saying this applies to any case described so far, but it is a possibility.

3940bigdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
I made an offer on a CS LP Special in Reverb. Seller was asking $2300 OBO. I offered $2100 and hoped the Seller would give me a counter offer. Within minutes my offer was declined without no counter offer. So I message the Seller right away if he has a number in his mind where we could make a deal. Right away I got a reply that I was wasting his precious time and some crap stuff. Then he proceeded to to take his listing off. Two months later he relisted his guitar and sold it for $2000. Its his lost. :mad::mad::mad:

Badstrat

Gold Supporting Member
I hate it when sellers leave you hanging after making a reasonable offer and the ridiculous back and forth offer/counter offer to save $5 off asking price. And ebays resetting offer function without your consent is outright criminal.

jbylake

Silver Supporting Member
Recently made a very reasonable offer on an item (8% less than ask price) and the offer sat until it expired. No counter or decline. No message. Nothing

No big deal really, I'll find another. I've just seen this a few times personally and always thought it was weird to accept offers but ignore the reasonable ones. It would be one thing if these were extreme low-ball offers, but I keep them very reasonable based on past sales and current asking price
That has happened to me a number of times. No reply, counter offer, nada. I see it as a blessiing. What kind of person am I dealing with?
It could be a seller is sick or has a family/work/business related problem that takes precedence, but it happens too often to be that, all the time.

'59Fatburst

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, that and listing on an international platform with "Local Pickup Only" seems ridiculous.
I always thought the same thing. That's what Craigslist is for. Seeing an item you really want only to find out it's a local pickup on the other end of the country is a real kick in the balls.

'59Fatburst

Silver Supporting Member
A pattern that I've noticed across all of these responses is people saying that they "Made a reasonable offer" and were ignored. What you deem to be a reasonable offer may not align with that of the seller. I've had offers come in so far under my asking price that it leaves no room for negotiation, we're just too far apart. I have a pedal listed for $175 on eBay right now and someone offered $100. I mean, I'm sure they may consider that a reasonable offer. But, that being said, I'm going to let the offer just expire. If there's one thing that I've noticed, low ballers really hate being ignored.

'59Fatburst

Silver Supporting Member
There are clowns out there who are too stupid to understand that the absense of a "make offer" button is specifically so they won't make their idiotically lowball offers. But the asshats make them anyway and bitch and whine because someone doesn't want to sell something worth a grand for $600. Naturally, being asshats, they make the unsolicited offers anyway.
You know, this is a good point. I started listing things without an offer feature for a stretch to see if that would change anything. Guess what? People take to emailing me their offers. WTF? I'll get the Reverb notification and open the message to see "I can offer $1000 for your $2000 Les Paul."

This phenomenon reminds me of the elaborate bird feeders that people buy or make that squirrels still find a way to infiltrate and eat the bird food.

LqdSndDist

Could be that some people have far more important things going on right now that worrying about if they got an offer on a piece of gear they have listed on Reverb..... ?

Finding food, TP, worrying about how to pay the bills after being out of work etc.... I know, its not an important as responding quickly to an offer, photographing every side of a pedal, shipping withing 24 hours etc to the mentality of the TGP crowd... but many people have rather shifted priorities right now which don't include music gear.

'59Fatburst

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know. I've watched the used section of the Guitar Center website be wiped nearly clean over the last 2 weeks. Priorities or not, they're still loading up on gear.

I'll bet within the next 45 days, Guitar Center gets inundated with returns!

Coolidge

Vendor
As others have noted, the only thing that bugs me is the "local pickup only".
You can search Reverb by city or state just like craigslist.

Craigslist, some sellers are fed up with all the scammers, low ballers, tire kickers, and flakes who never show up.

I found a Marshall amp recently on Reverb for sale a few miles from my house. The seller did not list it on craigslist at first for this very reason. Its telling that the seller would prefer to ship it than deal with the craigslist drama. I watched it for a week or so on Reverb then the seller put it on craigslist and I pounced. No shipping no sales tax lower price. :aok

Coolidge

Vendor
I've sold a bunch of things on Reverb using this very method. Craigslist (in my city at least) is primarily full of folks selling relatively low-end equipment and the knowledge base is similar -- so I list my nicer items on Reverb, knowing that I'll likely reach musicians in my area with a better understanding of quality gear and pricing. In addition, I live within reasonable driving distance of three major cities (Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Nashville) and would much rather complete a major transaction in person with a buyer that way and leave the careless UPS or FedEx middleman out of it. Works very well for me.
That's another great point on craigslist, decent gear is lost in the sea of garbage that should be hauled to the dump.

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
This will all change very soon! I have a feeling people will be unloading a lot of stuff soon and the competition will be stiff. Just a prediction...

Last edited:

scopa

Opinions are like %%$#

- If a seller doesn't respond to my offer. I do not get upset
- If a buyer lowballs me I do not get upset
- If someone lists something as local pickup I do not get upset.

WTH is wrong with some folks. Complain less, smile more. Be happy you have a reverb. Stop being so sensitive.

+++ current conditions. Have a sliver of decency. IF someone doesn't respond to you in a time that makes your precious heart happy, think that maybe something like a virus has left them in the ICU. And there are more important things going on right now.

'59Fatburst

Silver Supporting Member
Opinions are like %%$#
And yet you're compelled to still offer yours.

I don't think anyone here is calling out anyone who may have gotten ill or lost their jobs. A lot of these selling/buying issues are not new. Although, an emerging trend is to blame everything on the current climate. But, sidestepping accountability is nothing new, either. Lighten up, Francis. This is a discussion forum. People are getting stuff off of their chests.

Trending Topics