• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sellers with "Make an Offer", but they don't consider offers...

scopa

And yet you're compelled to still offer yours.

I don't think anyone here is calling out anyone who may have gotten ill or lost their jobs. A lot of these selling/buying issues are not new. Although, an emerging trend is to blame everything on the current climate. But, sidestepping accountability is nothing new, either. Lighten up, Francis. This is a discussion forum. People are getting stuff off of their chests.
Same here. And I can disagree.

Canard

List - 8% is an ok offer under most circumstances, unless the item is already steeply discounted or on sale. It's the people who open with "What's the lowest you'd consider on this?" that make me laugh. Jeez, learn to negotiate.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
My gut is that the seller we're discussing here included "Make an Offer" not because he had any intention of accepting or even considering such an offer but to give the impression to the OP and others that if they don't jump quickly on the listed price they could (as in might possibly) lose the item to a buyer willing to pay the full amount.

It's also possible the seller got several "Make an Offer" offers, accepted the highest of them which was not the OP, and just moved on.

Canard

You can search Reverb by city or state just like craigslist.

Craigslist, some sellers are fed up with all the scammers, low ballers, tire kickers, and flakes who never show up.

I found a Marshall amp recently on Reverb for sale a few miles from my house. The seller did not list it on craigslist at first for this very reason. Its telling that the seller would prefer to ship it than deal with the craigslist drama. I watched it for a week or so on Reverb then the seller put it on craigslist and I pounced. No shipping no sales tax lower price. :aok
It's true. I list stuff on Kijiji only for the local market, and have had success selling thru that platform. But the number of dirtbags that have to be filtered out is annoying.

stratguy23

Silver Supporting Member
I tend to agree with that. That's what Craigslist is for. I guess it makes some sense in a densely populated city, but still seems the wrong platform for those kinds of sales. Still, if I see those listings on my computer, it shows "local pickup only" in gallery view at least. What's really annoying is on the phone app, I don't see they're not shipping until I go to the full listing. Nothing like seeing something you've been searching for only to find it's completely out of reach. Actually, there are a few areas where Reverb could learn a little bit from ebay. The shipping price should be displayed everywhere the price is displayed, not just the individual listing page. Also, the "prices, low to high" display order option should factor shipping, which ebay does. I'm not a fan of ebay and would rather use Reverb, but there is room for improvement.
The local pickup only is annoying. They should allow you to filter it out on the mobile app. I like they finally added a buy local, but it’s annoying that it only lets you select a city. It would be so much better if you could put in a zip code and allow a search within x number of miles...

The people who do not respond at all to reasonable offers is annoying. I make sure to decline all offers I receive and give a short reason. One other one that annoys me not with Reverb but Craigslist/Emporium is when people reach out asking if something is still available and you tell them yes then you never hear another word from them. I don’t get why they take the time to reach out if they have no interest in following up.

ESW.

I've sold a bunch of things on Reverb using this very method. Craigslist (in my city at least) is primarily full of folks selling relatively low-end equipment and the knowledge base is similar -- so I list my nicer items on Reverb, knowing that I'll likely reach musicians in my area with a better understanding of quality gear and pricing. In addition, I live within reasonable driving distance of three major cities (Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Nashville) and would much rather complete a major transaction in person with a buyer that way and leave the careless UPS or FedEx middleman out of it. Works very well for me.
Yeah, I now list all vintage tube amps as local pickup only. I'd rather sit on it for a few months than deal with mystery damage that incurred in transit.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
As others have noted, the only thing that bugs me is the "local pickup only". It's just the epitome of laziness. You want to sell the damn thing or not? My money is just as good in the other 49 states as it is in Washington.
Depends. I was trying to sell a PTPRO with hardcase and the shipping was $105 to most places because of the weight. I knew I needed a local only buyer. It eventually sold locally through Facebook but I had it everywhere I could think of for the exposure.

LqdSndDist

Little things like this don't bother me.
indeed..... given how bent out of shape many TGP’rs get over the most trivial and unimportant things in life you really have to wonder how they are able to deal with real problems in life......

If your pedal shipping in a padded envelope, or having Velcro residue is enough to ruin your day then how do you deal with a car accident with an uninsured motorist, getting laid off your job, or a serious health issue ?

BlueRiff

Reason #23,968 for not buying/selling from/to individual private sellers online requiring shipping. If the transaction goes well, local news station shows up at your door wanting an interview. ("....so I sent the payment, and the guitar got to me on-time, with excellent communication and exactly what I expected..." [Local Reporter] "how did you prepare for this transaction and what advice would give to our listening audience in locating an honest seller?")

bluegrif

The local pickup only is annoying. They should allow you to filter it out on the mobile app. I like they finally added a buy local, but it’s annoying that it only lets you select a city. It would be so much better if you could put in a zip code and allow a search within x number of miles...

The people who do not respond at all to reasonable offers is annoying. I make sure to decline all offers I receive and give a short reason. One other one that annoys me not with Reverb but Craigslist/Emporium is when people reach out asking if something is still available and you tell them yes then you never hear another word from them. I don’t get why they take the time to reach out if they have no interest in following up.
To be clear, I can understand not wanting to ship something like a heavy amp or a vintage archtop. My main gripe is with Reverb, especially the phone app, where I don’t find out until I select the item and go to the listing. It’s just one of several ways Reverb could improve. Maybe allow me to exclude local pickup only from my search perhaps. And again, include the shipping price when displaying search results. It would also be very helpful to show actual sold price when searching sold listings.

Not that I get worked up over any of this. Just improvements that would be genuinely helpful.

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
To be clear, I can understand not wanting to ship something like a heavy amp or a vintage archtop. My main gripe is with Reverb, especially the phone app, where I don’t find out until I select the item and go to the listing. It’s just one of several ways Reverb could improve. Maybe allow me to exclude local pickup only from my search perhaps. And again, include the shipping price when displaying search results. It would also be very helpful to show actual sold price when searching sold listings.

Not that I get worked up over any of this. Just improvements that would be genuinely helpful.

100% Agree with everything you mentioned. Those are easy fixes for Reverb and would help tremendously.

Also, good call with the “not getting worked up over this” disclaimer. It’s apparently needed or else it’ll be assumed by other members that you’re a raging lunatic who also doesn’t care about global pandemics

stratguy23

Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I agree completely on all points. I get why people wouldn’t want to ship certain items, but it would be nice as you say to filter them out (unless they are local to me). It’s more a mild annoyance than anything else, doesn’t keep me up at night, and putting in this option and a few other things would vastly improve Reverb, especially mobile.

spi

The way offers work on reverb kinda bug me in general. Because they define lowball offers as 64% of asking price, you really have to jack up the price to get reasonable offers. I'm guessing that's why I see used pedals list for more than you can buy new from retailers.

I try to price things to sell, so any offer I'm open to won't be 64% off--maybe 20% at most or I'm not motivated to sell it.
I sometimes leave "accept offers" feature off, because people still tend to make offers in messages anyway. If they are reasonable I'll accept.

I still always reply to lowball offers with a "no thanks" though.

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
I have random bouts of vomiting that last a day or a week and I don’t bother responding to emails. It’s not common, thankfully, either for me or anyone else, but you never know what they have going on.

Personally, I would have responded when recovered so because, unless I'm making a point, I generally don't want someone to think I'm an asshole. I don't think I'm an asshole but some situations demand it & then I can be King of the Assholes :FM This guy might not have intended to ignore you. Or maybe he's pointing and lauging...either way I can't know nor does it impact my life so I'd rather just assume the positive and go play guitar :dunno:dude

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Dare to dream.... It's been a buyer's market for quite a while, and they've come to expect dirt cheap (if not free) shipping. Asking a buyer to pay actual shipping costs is like __insert joke here__
Prediction: You can expect the ‘free shipping’ gravy train to end soon. That is based, in my experience, on being able to stick the occasional shipper/small volume business with those fees. If the COVID thing removes small businesses from the marketplace, which it easily could if they are not an ‘essential business’, the Amazons and other 800 lb. gorillas have no one to subsidize them, and that cost is coming back to the consumer.

RicOkc

As others have noted, the only thing that bugs me is the "local pickup only". It's just the epitome of laziness. You want to sell the damn thing or not? My money is just as good in the other 49 states as it is in Washington.
A lot of sellers don't want to have to deal with the issues of buyers remorse or returns/shipping because someone doesn't like the instrument. The buyer can try it out and judge on the spot if they want it or not.

I sell and buy locally for that very reason.

RicOkc

Sellers who don't respond at all make me crazy. I found a nice partscaster Tele on local CL two weeks ago and emailed the seller with my name and number and some questions about the guitar. No response at all, and the ad is still up. Maybe he has COVID-19, who know? I would have possibly made an offer if he had responded. His loss.

A while ago, I came upon a Reverb ad with Make An Offer, so I made a very reasonable offer and got no response. I think it was $50 less than the asking price. Plus, the item was within easy driving distance, so I could have picked it up and told the seller, so he didn't have to pack and ship. No reply. This seems to happen more and more. I don't understand people sometimes.

If you have no intention of answering people who inquire about your gear for sale, don't waste our time. If you invite buyers to make an offer, then respond, one way or another. Don't leave a potential buyer hanging in uncertainty. It's bad manners. Then again, some people are just idiots with bad manners. :rolleyes:
Some buyers submit crazy offers (low-balling). I've posted ad's myself with "No Trades" yet I still get email wanting to trade something.

I'll post a fair price that reflects what an item will normally sell for used and I'll end up selling it for the price I've posted and all have been very satisfied. I'm guilty of not responding to those offers and will continue to do so.

CanuckChris

Actually, there are a few areas where Reverb could learn a little bit from ebay. The shipping price should be displayed everywhere the price is displayed, not just the individual listing page. Also, the "prices, low to high" display order option should factor shipping, which ebay does. I'm not a fan of ebay and would rather use Reverb, but there is room for improvement.
Man, I sooo agree with this. Being in Canada means quoted shipping prices are all over the map. I've often found a listing at a reasonable price, but then looked up the shipping and the seller wants $100 more than the next cheapest guy, etc. The "price+shipping: lowest first" feature would definitely be nice.

Another annoying feature on Reverb is their filter for country shipping. I usually filter the "ships to" to "Canada", however that seems to miss at least a portion of the "Anywhere" listings, but if I use the "anywhere" listings, it's hit and miss. Some of the sellers will ship to Canada, some won't. Again, ebay seems to have this issue resolved.

eupbin

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience, people just get so mad when you don't accept their offer, like it's personal. Now I just put out my best price right off the bat on an item and leave it at that.
Also, I've had guys who needed to tell me about my offer, like "did you really think you were going to get this guitar for $XXX???". Then he went on to tell me that "you and I both know it's worth more than that".... Um, sorry I made an offer?? and it wasn't a lowball.

Trending Topics