Selling a G&L ASAT Special - how much?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prsnstrat, Sep 10, 2008.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi folks,

I'm reluctantly parting ways with my USA made (95 I believe) ASAT Special with MFDs and wondering what to ask for it. It is in Excellent+ condition. Only blem is two very small screw holes left from a B-bender that was pro-installed. I checked ebay but there isn't anything conclusive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brandon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. geetarman

geetarman Member

Around $700-$800 is roughly the range they go for in that condition.

3. Trego

Trego Member

I'll buy it for 300. (that's how much I got for my birthday, which is tomorrow) :p

I bought a ASAT Bluesboy recently, so I know the market pretty well.

My guess would be somewhere in the 800-900 range, but I might be off.

4. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks guys, keep the responses coming. I don't want to ask too much nor too little. I added some pics to the thread.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Rough market for used G&L's bro. I have a MINT Legacy that hasn't moved in two weeks priced at $850. I'd say $650 (I've sold a few ASAT classics for that...)

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I would agree with most of the posts. It is a shame that G&L, and Heritage do not hold their resale value as well as Fender and Gibson, but I would also guess around $700. Maybe a bit more if you find just the right buyer, but also perhaps a bit less due to economy and how quick you want to move it. Good luck

7. jcground

jcground Member

You might try posting (or at least comparing) in the marketplace on the G&L forum: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/MARKET/market.php3

I think $800 is about the right ballpark to ask, but right now I think you may need to settle for less if you want to sell fast. The market is soft on used guitars right now due to the economy etc... and G&Ls, while they're really great guitars, tend to suffer on the used market.

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I hate to say it, but if you want it to move, particularly given the screw holes, $650 sounds right. If I could afford another, I'd buy yours. Hell, I'd buy EVERYONE'S. -E

9. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks very much guys, I think I'm ready to put it up. I'm going to start at $700.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have my near mint Blueburst Special consigned at a sale price of $750 and no takers. Not sure what I'm going to do about it...

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I paid $700 for a minty Special last year...and it didn't have a B Bender in it.

Shouldn't there be some serious routing done on the backside to install a B Bender?

12. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Good luck at $700 and I know they don't make a TRUE difference but those screwholes I am afraid will make that a $600 dollar guitar... still I hope someone grabs that off you at $700 as I know its certainly worth every bit. That sure is pretty. I think it may even be better with a pearl pickguard, again good luck. Check with the dudes at www.guitarsbyleo.com.

13. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Yep, sounds like you got a good deal.

Hipshot:
    [​IMG]

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

+1.

That's why I've tried to be sympathetic to what Darth & Co. are doing over at the G + L enthusiasts page. The resale value is really not good. And given the quality of these guitars, it really makes no sense that it be like this.

Bubbanov

15. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

what's the neck like? i might be interested at your price.

thanks!

16. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

The necks, are the best part of these I think. I don't know if they are hand made or what, but they feel so smooth. It's a C shape, but feels so much better than a fender C. I've had to always get used to necks on guitars but this one was not that way. It feels "broken in". Hope that helps.