1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling a guitar - buyer wants to use Paypal and have me ship

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Drop D Cups, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Drop D Cups

Drop D Cups Supporting Member

Haven't sold one in a while so I am wondering if there are new catches or tricks to prevent the buyer from getting the charges reversed or getting his/her money back and I have no guitar or payment?

Thanks in advance.

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I would not know how to answer but when I sell something I am 100% sure of what I am selling and I am 100% in good faith and I just think people are like me.

But I know there are people out there who are not decent.

nasonm likes this.
  3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Paypal is likely the most used way to pay for a guitar from a private party over the internet. I don't get the "he wants you to ship" part of your title...unless he picks it up you pretty much have to ship. Do you mean he wants you to pay for shipping?

JPIndustrie, derekd and TubeStack like this.
  4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

1. How much money are we talking about?
    2. Do you have a hard case for the guitar?
    3. Is the buyer willing to pay for shipping + insurance?

5. Pushead

Pushead Member

Talk to the person on the phone. See if you can get a read on him/her. A lot can be gleaned from talking to the person.

It's not fool proof, but it couldn't hurt.

6. Drop D Cups

My question is more around can he find a way to get the money refunded if he, let's say, gets buyer's remorse and finds a minor detail or flaw to try to get out. I don't know the seller - he contacted me through Facebook on a listing. Around $700.

7. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

PayPay is great if you're the buyer. There's that inexplicable 6 month return window that bothers most people (including me), but as mentioned above, talking with the buyer will help you make a more informed decision.

I've bought and sold using PP, mostly because of the convenience. Haven't been burned. Yet.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  8. Drop D Cups

That is my concern. I think it is better for me to look for a local deal instead. I really don't know this guy and don't want him to beat the crap out of the guitar for 5 months and then return it.

HTSMetal likes this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Paypal's "Buyer Protection" says:
    So you either have to be willing to either A) take a risk because you know or trust the buyer, or B) do everything humanly possible to CYA from shipping damage, loss, etc., and do the deal.

Or C) stick to local-only deals and tell FB buyer dude "sorry".

10. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Buyer remorse can happen, deal with it.
    Nothing is 100% in life.
    I sold hundreds of guitars and amps through eBay, Reverb, forums.
    Maybe 5% wanted to return for various idiotic reasons.
    Take it back and resell.

derekd and Sam Sherry like this.
  11. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

I've bought and sold using PP, mostly because of the convenience. Haven't been burned. Yet.[/QUOTE]

Count yourself lucky. With C-19 I'm seeing more scammers.

derekd likes this.
  12. Oilspark

Oilspark Member

PayPal heavily favors the buyer. If I list it locally and they want me to ship because they work out of town etc that's red flags. I don't accept PayPal on local sales. I would rather wait for an E-transfer than use it.

13. Horsecalledwar74

Horsecalledwar74 Member

yes. I believe there are huge PayPal changes coming soon or just started though. There was a thread here somewhere. Might want to read up on the new changes.

14. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Paypal is a scammer's charter. You are totally relying on your buyer being decent.

CBHTele, Steadfastly and monkeybrains like this.
  15. jlcogar

jlcogar Supporting Member

Is that 6 month return policy for real ? I may want to reconsider selling things from now on. Who wants to provide a 6 month unlimited warranty. I’ve only gotten hosed by a pp buyer once. At least it happened in a week or less

16. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it can be returned if "not as described", and PayPal allows a lot of leeway with the buyer on that. Is there a tiny ding on the bottom edge that was not described and photographed? That's grounds for a return - and you get to pay the shipping cost both ways.

And if the guitar shows back at your house with extra damage or missing parts, good luck with trying to get help from PayPal.

CBHTele likes this.
  17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

6 months...wow...that’s absurd....should be 3 days....or less....

18. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Youu can ship a Custom Shop Les Paul and receive a Squier Strat back....at your shipping expense both ways. The police won't be interested either and the buyer will have your Custom Shop LP and his money back from Paypal.

treeofpain likes this.
  19. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

In addition to the oversize window on returns, the big shippers, due to Covid, apparently aren't requiring signature receipts upon arrival, potentially leading to "it never showed up, refund me" from the guy who now has your guitar, and your money.

gillman royce likes this.
  20. icr

icr Member

Why selling? If it is a poor playing or sounding or undesirable guitar, then, yes, expect issues with your buyer.

Otherwise, if you want to be a 'dealer' you are incorporating 'deals gone bad' in to your overhead like every other dealer, yes?