Selling a guitar you just bought new, and losing money on it, instead of just returning it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Noise Under The Floor, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    It’s not my money, so none of my business really, but I find it curious. Recently I’ve seen numerous essentially brand new guitars for sale here on the Emporium and on Reverb where the seller claims, “I just bought this new a few weeks ago from Sweetwater/Guitar Center/Musicians Friend but I’m not really bonding with it.” Sometimes they even have a receipt to prove the very recent purchase date. Then, they’re taking a hit of at least several hundred dollars with their asking price, and that’s before Pay Pal and/or Reverb fees.

If you just bought it, and are still within the return window of a retailer with a generous return policy, why not just return it instead of loosing all that money on it?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    mbell75 and Benderp like this.
  2. wox

wox Supporting Member

Maybe they modded or screwed something up, and can't return it.

Maybe they are lying about having just bought it

Maybe they are big idiots.

DRS, handyman, cratz2 and 10 others like this.
  3. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

You must not have any rich friends.

cratz2, Whitecat, gonzoknife and 5 others like this.
  4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Maybe they bought in on a payment plan to resell for cash up front. Would be taking a loss in the long run but would pocket some cash right away.
    Kind of like a check cashing place.

tawtaw, cratz2, mbell75 and 8 others like this.
  5. Noise Under The Floor

Yeah, definitely makes me suspicious when I see it. Most of the time they appear unmoderated or messed with and they even show their original receipt.

6. Noise Under The Floor

You might be onto something there. Didn’t think of that.

7. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Just bought a guitar that way. Almost brand new Fender 50’s original Strat. Previous owner had for 1.5 months. Traded it to a local store for a late 50’s danelectro that was worth less than he thought I guess, lol. I got the $1950 retail guitar for $1100ish. I was happy.

8. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

They could have just missed the return period window. Something else to consider

jrjones, Jimmy3Fingers and misterg71 like this.
  9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yeah, I just had a guy on Reverb float a trade offer. My guitar for a guitar he had for 2 weeks or something like that. I didn't ask him why he wouldn't just return it but I did think it was weird because it was a model that was just released. I guess he could have bought it from a shop which does not have a long return window or that has a restocking fee.

10. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

This is easy.
    Find 6-8 of 'those people' here on the classifieds.
    PM Them and ask Them straight up.
    Report back with your results.
    Why are you talking 'around' people when they're right here in the room, why not just ask Them? :dunno

11. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I can't speak to the 1-2 week turnaround but I have sold a couple of guitars 2-3 months after purchasing them. Basically I need a month or so to really determine whether or not a guitar is going to work long term for me and by that time its's out of the return window. I think this issue is also related to the move to online retailing because so many potentially great guitars are not available locally. I also realize that many people do not have the luxury I have to take a loss like this.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  12. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

^This. I've had several dealings with a guy on CL where I've gotten brand new gear, with boxes, for cheap. A mutual friend told me that that's what the guy was doing, to pay his medical bills. And the ship dates on the boxes were all within a few weeks, at most, of when I bought them.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  13. data_null

data_null Member

Yep, this ^ Happens easily, and quite often.

Although logical answers aren’t popular around here. Best to go with conspiracies and hysterics to explain everything ;)

derekd likes this.
  14. rmg471

rmg471 Supporting Member

Perhaps they realize the issues they personally have with the instrument are not the fault of the retailer and they don’t want to burden a retailer they have a good relationship with by returning a perfectly fine instrument that was exactly what they ordered and what they thought they wanted.

15. jdel77

jdel77 Member

:rotflmao
    Never underestimate the humour in calling someone a 'big idiot'.

16. Noise Under The Floor

I specifically said in the OP, people who were stating they’d only had the guitar a few weeks and bought it from a retailer with a generous return window. So, not outside the return window.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. Noise Under The Floor

I’ll certainly do that next time I see an ad like that. There’s a few running on the emporium now. Just thought it was an odd thing to do and figured it might make for interesting conversation here as well.

uab9253 likes this.
  18. data_null

data_null Member

So they specifically said in their ads that they are still within the return window? Seems like an odd thing to mention in an ad.

You can have a guitar for a few weeks AND be outside the return window.

19. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

I’m genuinely curious, why so long?

20. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

Isn’t this technically illegal? Or at least a violation of the contract terms? The item purchased is collateral against the loan. You’re selling something you don’t own yet unless the loan is paid off as part of the transaction - like home sales or trading in a car. Am I correct?