Selling a guitar you just bought new, and losing money on it, instead of just returning it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Noise Under The Floor, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

1. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

People aren't considerate that way… that's a pure fantasy… ;)

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  2. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I have no idea how that works. The guy is a disabled veteran, and a bit of a nut job to boot. He had a number of medical issues, involving expensive medications, and often had cash flow problems due to Veterans Administration problems. And anyone who has dealt with the VA knows what it's like. I haven't talked to the guy in several years, not sure if he's even still around. Haven't seen any of his ads on CL for a while now (they were always easy to spot).

3. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

I've been this guy before. I've made returns to GC or MF when I haven't gotten along with a new guitar, sure. But occasionally, I've purchased something relatively special from a very small retailer and had a great, personalized transaction with somebody who went out of their way to make me happy, but I just didn't gel with the guitar, despite it being perfectly as described and without objective issues. In those cases, I will sometimes opt to just take the hit and resell the guitar myself. Is it the "right" thing to do? I don't know, many of those guys have return policies that are just fine, and it's not like returning a guitar you don't like is an abuse of those policies necessarily, but I do often feel better about myself when I just resell it myself to help them out a bit more.

tawtaw, TELECOLLECTOR, RayRay and 5 others like this.
  4. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I can understand that, with a specialized item, small dealer, personal service, but I’m seeing, “I just bought this 2 weeks ago from Guitar Center (or other big retailer)...” You’ve got a 45 day return period, Sweetwater is 30.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

To me it would just depend on the retailer and their policy.

Guitar Center, for example, advertises their 45 days no questions asked return policy as a feature that sets them apart. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in the store playing a guitar and a sales associate said “take her home, you’ve got 45 days to decide then, on your own amp and gear, heck, if you’re careful even a gig. See what she can do in a real situation!” In that scenario, I have no problem whatsoever just returning it, since the return policy was part of the decision to buy.

6. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Maybe they abused the return policy by returning too many guitars already and the retailer cut them off. Never had that happen but I know if you read the return policies they have a clause in there to the effect if abused they can refuse returns.

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, I think this was to put an end to the kind of people who would buy big amps or PA equipment for their one gig a month and then return them the next day, lol. I think it was abused far less often with instruments than amps/PA.

uab9253 likes this.
  8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Like I said, I have done that at GC plenty (well, at least a few times). I don't lose sleep over it. They're a huge store that decided to incorporate expected returns as part of their business model, like Amazon. That's their thing. In cases where somebody is selling a new guitar here on TGP that they bought 2 weeks ago from GC, yeah, there's probably something else going on. I was just addressing the specific point of why somebody might sometimes opt to resell rather than return.

9. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

When I was young I worked in a guitar store. The other place in town sold stuff on a payment plan. Not credit card, but just take the guitar and drop off some cash every week. Welp, we bought a couple guitars off of down-on-their-luck guys and wouldn't you know it? They had just "bought" it at the other store and were skipping town.

10. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

If you return a guitar or other gear because it is defective most online stores will cover the shipping costs and will replace the item for you if requested to do so. However, if you return something because you don’t like it and the shipping was free you often have to pay the shipping costs both ways, which may be substantial enough that selling it instead is the better option for some people.

11. Noise Under The Floor

Could be. Some people have serial gas, and are very fickle on top of it.

12. Noise Under The Floor

True, but losing $50 to $80 or so shipping back, as opposed to several hundred or more to sell it, with fees on top of that depending on the venue?

Maybe they tossed the original shipping box and screwed themselves.

MilwMark and FlyingVBlues like this.
  13. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

They probably don’t plan on paying the credit and bill either. Scabs on the backside of humanity.

14. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

That was my thought. When you return something it usually has to include everything that was originally shipped to you including the box and packing materials.

15. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Why do people trade guitars in at Guitar Center? Why do they pawn them? Because they are generally bad with money and lack common sense.

16. Noise Under The Floor

My wife hates it, but I save every box when I buy anything brand new, which is rare, or if the used gear comes with the original box.

joesnewmatch likes this.
  17. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, but we run on conspiracies and hysterics around here.

If we didn't have those two, where would we be?

data_null likes this.
  18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Some places only offer credit on returns.

FlyingVBlues likes this.
  19. Noise Under The Floor

Where are the conspiracies and hysterics here? Where is that even coming from? I was simply wondering what would motivate someone to screw themselves out of money when they could simply return the item?

derekd likes this.
  20. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve done this. While it only takes a few minutes to determine if there are any real flaws in a guitar, it takes a while for me to decide if I’m keeping it long term. Maybe a good setup and some pickup adjustments are often needed.

I’ve only ever had it come up with inexpensive guitars, where the cost of shipping represented a large fraction of the guitar’s value. It made more sense to sell it, locally.