Selling an amp problem.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PrestonBrick, May 9, 2008.

1. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

So i just sold my mesa boogie f-30 for 650 off of craigslist. The guy who bought it came over to my house today (bad idea) to try it out. Anyways to make a long story short he bought the amp and as we were bringing it into his car he said "If there are any mechanical issues then I will just call you." and I (not knowing any better) said sure. He also told me he has a gig tonight which started to get me suspicious that he just wanted it for tonight. Now I talked to a couple guys and this is what they told me.

1. Call him tomorrow and ask if there are any mechanical issues and if he says no then Ill say great Im using the 650 to buy something else.
    2. Dont let him return the amp because I know there are no mechanical issues with the amp if he calls me back.
    3. Dont answer his phone calls. :phones
    or 4. just do nothing because he doesnt have it in writing?

What do you think i should do?
    This is the first amp I've sold like this so im kinda worried.

Thanks,
    Preston

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Did he try it out while he was there? Found no problems? Then....done, sale complete.

Are you worried because you know of something with the amp you didn't mention to him ??

3. m3g

m3g Member

I'd worry that he knows where you live! :nono

4. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

These are my feelings as well. 1st point and 2nd.

5. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

He tried it out for about ten minutes and found no problems. He said its a little bassy..but turned up the treble and had no complaints.

I honestly dont know of anything wrong with it

6. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

I know =/

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

To be honest, for all of the horror stories of ebay, paypal (and maybe even TGP sales) craigslist scares me way more. No F***ing way am I letting a complete stranger into my house to test out gear. I have 2 little kids (and 2 big assed German Shepards) but something about that just worries me. I'll meet someone, somewhere predetermined but that's about it.
    Anyway, I think you've done enough. Sale over.... we hope.

8. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

He can meet my Magnum at the door..

9. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Well in the old days of the recycler the way we used to buy and sell things here in So Cal. You would meet someone at a neutral location. I never had anyone come to my house. In some cases that could be like showing the robber the vault. And it was always CASH and Carry. In my opinion these days it's just easier to get scammed both as a buyer and a seller what with the benefits of paypal:rolleyes:

10. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

-- well, that settles that I guess :AOK

Overall, I still like to think that most people are genuine to a certain degree. I'm sure I'm naive and I did get psuedo-burned on a few things I've purchased, but nothing completely unexpected. Come to think of it, it takes a lot more balls to come to your house and meet you and THEN try and rip you off vs. doing it online.
    Best of luck, I think you'll be okay.

12. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Thanks dude..

Yeah I just searched his name on myspace...

He doesnt seem like a threat or anything..

But its freaky..Imagine having the feeling that a Scott Ian look alike is starring through your window!!

13. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Did he leave a bad taste in your mouth? Rub you the wrong way??

Its business so take it as a learning experience and carry on:AOK

14. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Hahah okay thanks

15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

With all of the decent people here or on HC (to a point), and eBay as a last resort, I don't know why anyone would use Craigslist to sell gear. There is something great about cash and carry, but now you will be looking over your shoulder waiting for this (potential) nut to show up with your amp with a rip in the tolex, looking for his money back...

16. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Yeah.. Well he really cant do anything lawfully to get the money back can he?

17. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Exactly! back in "the day", we had "The Tradin'Times" here in Philly. Basically your East coast version of The recycler. I bought/sold a ton of gear by having people come to my house or me going to their's to check it out. I never had an issue as a buyer or seller. To be honest, I think I would be more concerned with someone wanting to meet at a neutral location. Either their gear was crap and they wanted to pull the "disappearing date" as soon as they pulled out of the parking lot, or they were going to try to run the jack on me!
    With ebay, paypal, etc., it's now an age of anonymity so meeting face to face is kind of uncommon anymore.
    Bottom line, if you are up front w/ disclosing any problems w/ an item, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.
    And to me, sounds like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to test drive someone's amp at a gig..................

18. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I'm probably wrong but,you're acting like you've sold a lemon.

19. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I've had nothing but good luck and good experiences selling on CraigsList (buying also.)

I'm pretty good at getting a sense of who I'm dealing with, and I'm comfortable having someone over to test out gear I'm selling, provided they know what they are talking about and seem genuinely interested in purchasing what I have for sale.

It's cash only, I don't provide guarantees (I'm not Guitar Center), and I don't give them a tour of the house or show off all my gear to them.

I've met some really nice folks, and I don't have to deal with PayPal or have to worry about UPS or FedEx destroying my shipping boxes.

Of course you have your share of absurd offers and prospective buyers who vanish into the ether, but that's par for the course and I don't let that get under my skin.

20. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Well no..the amp is a nice amp. But Im not letting him use my gear for free for a gig and then return it for his money back you know?

Like the post below yours said..Im not guitar center