Selling And Shipping Overseas

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rockpit, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rockpit

rockpit Member

Any success stories on selling/shipping high-dollar/vintage guitars to an overseas buyer? What few pieces of info I've found have been less than comforting.
    Any personal experience? Links?
    Thanks

2. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

There are other threads related to this topic here at TGP so you may want to do a search. Briefly - from your standpoint -
    1) Getting paid: DO NOTHING TIL THE FUNDS CLEAR YOUR BANK; buyers may come up with exotic ways to pay you
    2) Customs : varies greatly country to country - can be a deal breaker
    3) Shipping : use world wide renouned carriers
    4) Theft : who'se paying for the insurance ? Also a deal breaker

3. rockpit

rockpit Member

I'll try more 'search terms'. I must not be using the right terminology.
    Thanks for the input. I know it can be a risky proposition.

4. HeartfeltDawn

HeartfeltDawn Member

Be sure to nail the terms of delivery down with the buyer. I've done many sales from the UK to other parts of the world and some countries are easier to deal with than others. Use a good courier as much as you can. I sold an Antoria 335 to a guy in Russia, a country that, if I use the Royal Mail to deliver, RM will not offer any insurance for at all. I told him that any damage would be on his own head and that I would not be liable. I boxed up with my usual high standards and was so happy when it reached him within a week in one piece and safe.

It does surprise me when I see so many US based people act with such utter trepidation about shipping overseas. It can be safe. In 9 years on Ebay and on forums, I've had one item go missing in well over 1000 transactions, and that was a small Transformers toy to Singapore :D If you pack well, make sure the buyer pays for full shipping including insurance, and you make damn sure you're fully covered (read the small print with any shipping method), you will be alright.

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

If these are truly "High Dollar" items, then be sure to get private insurance coverage. And even then it probably will require additional fees on specific shipments. None of the coverage from any of the carriers is sufficient for this class of shipment.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've shipped several guitars to Europe. Finland, UK, Germany and Belgium.
    I get paid via bank transfer and ship USPS International Priority.

Get paid by a bank transfer only IMO. That way if it's lost or stolen you are no going to be out.
    The buyers are always told it's on them if something happens.
    Alot of contries have a value/insurance cap of $650. So, if a guitar is woth 2K and is lost or damaged you can only get a max of $650.
    This is why I only accept wire transfers and the risk is on the buyer and not on me.

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I recently shipped a guitar to Great Britain without a hitch, except for being held up in British customs

Tony

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've sold a couple to European buyers. Belgium, Scotland, Ireland. Mine were near enough to the 650 USPS limit that no private insurance was needed. Every one went without a hitch.
    MD

9. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Yep, use a carrier that is not a bankrupt gov't institution, I only use Fedex or UPS as full value insurance coverage and complete tracking is not possible with USPS and they now have different size limits for almost every country, plus UPS/Fedex doesn't get "delayed" by customs. It is not worth the hassle to use USPS, I don't.

10. whitehall

whitehall Member

Depends on the price of the guitar and where it's going. But a few things- no paypal, ever. Either wire or Western Union. The buyer is going to have to trust me, and not the other way around. Don't like it, no prob, go someplace else. I prefer Fedex but only because the hub is nearby and I have an account. I have friends in NZ and OZ and I use USPS for them.
    Shipping rates keep going up so get your quote beforehand. I sent my friend in OZ a xmas present. It was a 12" box that weighed 6 lbs. It cost $58.00 to ship.

11. rockpit

rockpit Member

Good idea about the private insurance. I'll check with Heritage Ins.

Is there a Dollar amount maximum that would trigger any extra fomrs, or get attention that could cause it to be claimed as income?