Selling my 2013 R8 for a 2015 SC 245 ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tuumbaq, May 6, 2016.

1. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

I found a bunch of others treads on those 2 guitars but they all seem to be a few years old and , well I cant make up my mind .

I have a DGT , not my #1 but every time I play that guitar im shocked how easy it is to play , how ringy the thing is and how effective the controls are... Simply put , it seems like a superior guitar in every ways.

My R8 is great , but i find the neck a little big ... I also have a CollectorChoice that I like better ... I think ... Dont play the R8 as much and cant help but wonder what a PRS would be like ... Wouldnt mind playing something a little more different than my CC as well ...

A big part of my hesitation comes from the resale value. I can sell the R8 for a 1000$ more than what I paid for , sure is crazy too me but it seems those gained value over the last year or so..

The PRS on the other will most likely go the other way around ... Im not buying thinking I will sale it eventually but still , gotta keep that in mind...

At the moment im leaning towars the PRS , I would probably play it more often if its diffrent than my other LP and thats a good enough reason for me but am I crazy ?

2. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

Put your money into something you'll play, especially if you can make a buck or two on it in the process :aok

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

What do you expect to sell the R8 for? $2,700 - $3,100 is the range for a used flame top, $2,200 - $2,500 for plain, but you might be waiting a long time for the top end of the range. If you can make a grand, then go for it, it's not like you don't have another Les Paul, but I would play the PRS first.

I find it funny how Gibson resale concerns you yet you are considering buying a PRS.

tuumbaq and Rhythm Rocker like this.
  4. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    If you buy the PRS on the used market and keep it in good shape, you won't take much of a hit (if any) should you decide to sell.
    In my experience, PRS guitars are so consistent in terms of quality, the only question I ever ask is about the weight of the instrument.

5. acwild

acwild Member

Definitely play the PRS first. I had a perfect single cut years ago but just didn't bond with it for some reason. It doesn't sound like you're bonding with your R8 so why keep a guitar that isn't exactly what's needed to keep you satisfied?

tuumbaq likes this.
  6. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

I'd definitely do it if you're not playing the R8. Just no reason to keep it and it sounds like you have a CC that floats your boat. You'll find the same playability with an SC-245 that you do with the DGT. It was very much a revelation the first time I played my SC-58.

7. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

thank you guys, I would be buying a new PRS ...I want the 58/15 pickups and used SC245 with those are hard to come by ...I can get 3200$ for my plain top R8, bought it for 2 a little over a year ago and they PRS new is roughly 3200 $

The PRS weight 8.4 lbs and it has the "pattern" neck shape which Im unfamiliar with ...What is it like ? DGT is a little too small for me overall but I like the carve...Just wish it was a little meatier but not necessarily "wider "

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

play as many used SC245s as you can and buy if one speaks to you - dont be hung up on the pickup types, per se ... just listen to them and see if you dig 'em for their sound and feel ... you should be able to sell it privately for about the same if you tire of it ... if you dont dig your R8 *and* can get a profit on it, no reason to keep it

i love my sc245 ... it is a non-10 top and just feels/sounds terrific ... its actually kinda my #1 with my PRS TedMcSoapy and EJ Sig Strat right behind it depending on what the tune needs

good luck

9. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Yeah its not much of a concern but the Gibson as gained quite a bit of value in the last year or so and Im worried the PRS will just keep tanking ...I dont expect the R8 to keep gaining value but still... Something worth considering

10. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

The pattern neck is smaller than my R9 neck and has a different shape from the DGT which is a bit more round out back. My R9 has a fat neck so it's probably like an R8 in that regard. I do notice the difference but actually in a good way. The pattern carve does not have the shoulders of the wide fat.

11. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed to hear , thank you for that

Ape Factory likes this.
  12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I'd sell the R8 and buy something completely different.
    You already have a CC so why not skip the singlecut avenue altogether and go for something like a 335?

13. Autoesq

Autoesq Member

Wow, I guess I need to start marketing my gear to Canadians.

mikebat likes this.
  14. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Cause I have an original 68 345, 2 teles, 2 strats , 3 LP and a PRS ...

15. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I hate you. :cry:

16. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I know!

I bought my '14 R8 with decent flame for 2900 shipped to my door.
    I also saw an '09 plain top R8 for 2500 at GC.
    So 3200?

17. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

The OP is from Canada. Do the conversion for $3200CA$ to USD. Make sense now?

18. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I don't know if this helps, but I've owned an R7 and currently have an older (2008?) SC 245, and for me the playability/ feel/ tone of the PRS is the BOMB. I'm more of a heavy rock guy, so maybe the more modern vibe of the PRS is why it works for me.

You already have 3 Les Pauls- go for something different!

19. KarlH

KarlH Member

20. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

I constantly switch between DGT and SC58 (mostly identical to the 245), very compatible and noticeably different at the same time.
    Great match, my Gibson LPs don't get much playing time these days.
    But you'll probably want to switch the pot positions back to sanity on the 245, don't know what they were smoking @ PRS when they messed this up.
    Easy job, cables were just long enough on mine, no resoldering required, you'll only have to relocate/resolder the ground wire.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

btw, I have also settled for an EJ Strat - another modern classic ! :aok