Selling off several pieces to by 1 or 2 new pieces, am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samdjr74, Feb 21, 2012.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

So here's the deal, I have way too many guitars. I don't play them all just because I only play a few and some of the others just sit there collecting dust. My head says to sell them but my gut says I'll regret it.

I'm not really looking for advice, just thinking out loud and pondering what I should do.

I know I really want 2 nice LP's a R4 custom and a R8/R9. I also know I have 4 guitars that I'm keeping for no reason other then I might regret selling them, a 2010 Studio 50, a 2005 Supreme, a LE in Santa Fe sunrise and a 2009 Traditional

I need to think about this one

2. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

This being TGP, you're likely to get a couple of different responses.

- Keep everything. Add, never sell, you might regret it.
    - Sell anything. Get what you really want. Bye, bye unwanted with no regrets.

I'm probably in the second camp. If you really want the other guitars, and selling your "unwanted" ones is the way to get there... what's stopping you?

M

3. G Man

G Man Member

If only it were that easy. Unfortunately, the days of throwing a guitar up for sale at FMV and selling it within a reasonable time frame are gone. Just look at some of the very nice, well priced rigs in the emporium that have been there forever. It can be a bit of a let down when you are hoping to pick up some new gear and you've finally come to terms with selling off some of the old stuff only to not have it move.

4. Wake911

Wake911 Member

On a much smaller level, i'm in the same position. Selling 2 guitars to buy another, selling 2 i never use for one i'll use all the time. But they aren't selling well at all, really sucks. Good luck to you for sure!!!

5. samdjr74

And that's the other issue, selling them, or just off loading them in this market is a nightmare. I know I'll need to take a hit and that's going to hurt but at the end of the day I'll be able to sell one or 2 but not all of them and I won't have the cash to buy what I want.

I think the Studio would sell fast because it's cheap and most people I think would like a nice P90 guitar that won't break the bank.

I think I can sell the Traditional because it has a nice top and features that a lot of people might be after.

but the supreme and the LE will be the hard ones to get rid of and they would also bring in a good bit of money in a good market but now, I probably couldn't give them away.

I just think I have way too much crap and down sizing is the best course of action but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and under price them to a point where I feel that I made a bad deal.

Maybe I'll throw those 2 up in the emporium first and see what happens.

6. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

A guitar unused is a useless guitar.

Sell 'em and buy something you'll play.

7. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Honestly you'd more or less be replacing the stuff with a nicer version of said stuff. Very low chance of regret, I think.

Ps: r4 customs are way cool.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IMO if you view them as "pieces" then what the heck, mix & match & swap 'em out.

I don't see instruments as "pieces" and I think that may have some effect on how I look at moving things, but sure, if you're not using them, unless there's some reason to keep it/them (love the look; sentimental value; other...), then nothing wrong IMO with a change like that.

I, too, have too many guits around (mostly from gigging days no longer happening) and I've been looking around for quite a while for the guitar that will tempt me to make some room in a multi-guitar-for-1 deal.

Go for it if it feels right.

9. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

people usually regret selling guitars they had to for the money. i've never heard of someone regretting selling guitars they never played.

10. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I hear time and again here people gassing for gear they've sold.

11. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

If I were in your situation (and trust me, I have been), I would look for trade possibilities. The guitars that you want, are high-end, and right now somewhat difficult to sell for cash. But there are guys out there who own these high-end guitars, who want to move them along. Many of these current owners are aware that it could be easier to sell a couple of $1500 guitars than one $3000 guitar. So, they might consider a 2-for-1 trade arrangement. There is no question that the economy has changed things, and cash just doesn't flow well for expensive guitars. Most of the deals I've made in the past 2 years have been trades. There are a lot of guys out there with more nice guitars than they really need. Many of these guitars have little, if any, wear. But we all still have the need to try something different. I just think an equitable trade is a better solution than selling a nice guitar for half of what it should be worth. It's worked well for me. Of course, I take it slow, and make sure I'm dealing with someone who is honest. I've been fortunate to find some really nice folks to make trades with.

12. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

I just sold a bunch of pieces I didn't 'love' for one super high end axe. Some of them I even had for years, just never really bonded with them; too heavy, not versatile enough, etc. Absolutely love the replacement, but still in the honeymoon stage. Kinda miss having a mahogany single cut with an ebony board sometimes though - but after going through many nice instruments over the years it seems that Fender style stuff is my bag after all.

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

If you're not using them, sell them. Someone else will use them and enjoy them. Get something you will use.

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Only you can decide.

But I went through this 6 years ago and could never be happier.

Sold:
    • Budda SD80
    • Budda SD30
    • 1973 Marshall Super Bass
    • 1973 Marshall Super Bass 4x12

Bought:
    • Best sounding '71 strat I've ever played with jumbo frets already installed

Its my main guitar and I couldn't live without it.

Really bummed me to sell such killer gear, but I figure I can eventually find all that stuff again, but I'll never find a strat like this again.

15. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

strange deal. i got a dallas schecter strat for 350usd from LA off craigslist. great axe. played it for a while, but had to move on to the older stuff. i tried for three months to sell it on ebay, finally selling it for 525usd. the same guy finally just resold it on ebay for almost 900usd. that was over a year later. patience is a virtue. he was also willing to ship abroad... after that i have wrestled with the same issues, and in fact still possess a couple axes that i might have sold had winds been correct. dicey topic this one... good luck.

16. Jaan

Jaan Member

:agree:agree

17. samdjr74

Thanks guys, I'm giving it a try and already posted them in the emporium.

18. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

19. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

:agree

20. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

....I'm coming to term also with the fact that I've got 2 'gits that flat don't get played, It's not the fact that I don't enjoy them, and they should not be a "hard sell" But, my Sheraton and my Washburn HB35s are getting all of my "plug in" time, and my Squier Pro-tone WHICH is a great 'git, gets none, and I could use other things.......