Selling/shipping an amplifier head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fendervato, May 3, 2016.

1. fendervato

fendervato Member

What recommendations, tips, comments, caveats,etc. do you have that should be considered or noted?

2. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Overpack. If you don't have sufficient packing materials, have FedEx or UPS pack it.

Always insure for full value. There are many horror stories out there. For instance, UPS once turned a very clean Marshall of mine into a "relic". Because of insurance, they paid a claim that basically allowed me to keep the amp for "free."

Slevin and fendervato like this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell Member

get a fedex account - you get a discount vs just showing up without one. have them pack, insure and ship it. they usually do a really good job but if anything happens its all on them because you paid them to pack it.

Slevin and fendervato like this.
  4. dirtyfunkg

dirtyfunkg Member

Curious to ask, since I'm soon going to be posting a head for sale... how much does FedEx generally charge to pack a head?

fendervato likes this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell Member

last week I paid 84 bucks total for packing, shipping and insurance from MI to SC.

fendervato likes this.
  6. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Whatcha selling? Looks like you're local ;)

fendervato likes this.
  7. Polvo

Polvo Supporting Member

Once I take it the oackage to the shipping office, I take a video all around the box showing the condition of the box.
    Take the tubes out and wrap them individually and secure them back in the amp, make sure nothing moves or rattles when you shake the box.

fendervato likes this.
  8. fendervato

fendervato Member

I have a Dr. Z EZG-50 amplifier head that is on consignment at Strait Music in Austin and it's also posted as a "for sale locally only" on the Emporium. A fellow TGP member from out of state is willing to pull the trigger and I am willing to go through with it extreme preparation. Right now the shipping/receiving staff at Strait Music is working with me to provide a box and packing material. I've reassured the prospective buyer that I intend to take every precaution as if I was the buyer.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Pull large tubes and box carefully. Have plenty of padding /space around the amp head, but not more than 2". Avoid making a heavy box too big and cumbersome to handle. They get dropped that way. Now days I error to minimal space, about 1"+ all around if I can.

fendervato likes this.
  10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Common sense and pack better than you think you should.

fendervato likes this.
  11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

1) pull tubes, wrap in bubble and mark for position.

2) pack tubes in the head with more bubble to stabilize them.

3) wrap head in bubble and pack into a snug box

4) float the snug inner box in an outer box with peanuts or use styro corners to isolate the inner box from the outside box.

5) plan on packing for a 5 foot drop form a conveyer belt to a concrete floor.

That's what I do. Pack like a box ninja.

fendervato and Slevin like this.
  12. spence

spence Member

ALWAYS keep the packaging your amp comes shipped in if it's worth keeping. It'll make life easier if you ship it later, and saves you time looking for decent packaging. This seems like a no brainer, but it's surprising how many people toss packaging, then use insufficient packaging because they're in a hurry to get it shipped.

fendervato and PurpleJesus like this.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Pack it in a single box, remove tubes, etc. then pay Fed Ex to pack that box in another box and insure it for full value.

fendervato and Slevin like this.
  14. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

you should never reuse a shipping box.

15. Slevin

Slevin Member

Number 5 is vital. I dropped off my bad cat with ups and they specifically told me "is it packed well enough to go through a 5 foot drop?" And I said "can they not drop my fragile amp 5 feet?" And they just stared at me like I was crazy. My point is avoid UPS. USPS or fedex first, walk it to its destination second, ups last.

fendervato and wntbtw like this.
  16. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    I've used and received several double box method packages with the 1" foam insulation from Lowes as the padding in both boxes. My only bitch with bubble wrap for heavy items is you have to use a crap load as it compresses. My amp builder wrapped enough b wrap around a chassis that it added 4" per side to the head. I unrolled and unrolled and unrolled, then unrolled some more!

If you pack it - personally I don't trust Fed or UP - take pics of every stage of the process and send them to the buyer.

The other thing I like to stress for any amp, vintage amps for sure - PLAN ON DOING SOME SERVICE TO THE AMP WHEN YOU GET IT! Be surprised and happy if you don't. I sold an amp to a guy and he pitched a fit when it had 'problems' - accusing me of knowingly selling defective gear - one of the tubes had crapped out. I sent a full set of tubes with it and told him to swap them. Never heard another thing. If you have a problem, please put your big boy pants on BEFORE you start to communicate issues with the seller. o_O

Russ

fendervato likes this.