Selling Software...Is it legal?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by stumboid, Mar 19, 2008.

1. stumboid

stumboid Member

Hello, I was wondering if it is legal to sell an old version of Logic Pro (One that comes with the license dongle). Has anyone done it before? I don't see it being any different than selling used videogames to a Gamestop or something like that so can't imagine it being bad.

2. elambo

elambo Member

Depends on the software's agreement. I know of certain companies that won't allow their software to be sold. Others charge a fee. Most, I believe, are free to be sold without stipulations.

3. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

You generally can't sell an older version and hold onto the upgrade - the older version won't be able to be registered since your license is for a single user and you're still the license holder for the upgrade.

Rail

4. stumboid

stumboid Member

Well, I have Logic 7, which is not an upgrade and I want to buy Logic 8, again not an upgrade. Someone is interested in buying 7 from me which I would have no use for since I would be getting 8.

5. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

Well the cost of Logic 8 is $500, the upgrade from Logic 7 to Logic 8 is $200... How much do you plan to sell Logic 7 for ? -- it would have to be more than $300 to make sense and for that the buyer would normally just pay the extra $200 to buy Logic 8.

Rail

6. stumboid

stumboid Member

Well, I want to sell Logic 7 for $150 which is the same price as getting Logic 8 new with academic pricing here at MU. So I just want to break even.

7. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

Just so you're aware - normally academic software can't be upgraded.

Rail

8. stumboid

stumboid Member

Oh yea I am aware. However, the FULL versioin of 8 is 150, which is probably as cheap, if not cheaper, than the normal pricing for an upgrade from 7 to 8.

So that really doesnt matter too much for me.

9. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Isn't he Logic 7 to Logic 8 (full, non-academic) upgrade $200? Sounds llike a better deal than the Academic version for $150?

10. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Yes, you can sell Logic 7. I sold mine last year.

11. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Member

Just make sure when you sell it, you give them everything that came with it.

As long as you delete it from your systems and don't keep copies, you're legal.

12. stumboid

stumboid Member

Yea thanks folks. BTW, there is absolutely NO difference between the full academic version and non academic, only that with the academic version, you can not upgrade from 8 to 9, you can still receive any core Logic updates. So it makes sense to me that the better deal for me would be to get 8 for $150 despite it being the academic version.