• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Selling the line 6 m5 and replacing with different pedals

jamminoutloud1

Silver Supporting Member
i am highly considering selling my line 6 m5 pedal. The truth is it sucks the tone when it's on, the power is shotty and there's really only a few effects I use. Mainly the synth type ones, chorus, phaser, auto wah...it's basically my wild card pedal, but size real estate is key for my board.

My thoughts are buying 2 small pedals (ideally analog, or ones that don't suck tone) to replace the size of the M5.

I was thinking the mini pog for synth type sounds....

and maybe a small pedal that can ideally do chorus, phaser, autowah, etc even if I have to manually change it...

Looking for some opinions on this. Has anyone been down this road as well and found a good situation?

MattLeFevers

Zoom MS-70CDR. Done.
This is probably the best bet in terms of what you get access to vs. pedal board real estate used.

I did extensive research on a multi-modulation pedal to be my own "wild card" and landed on the Source Audio Orbital Modulator, with the ZCAT Q-Mod or the aforementioned Zoom MS-70CDR as runners up.

Any of those would cover chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, and the Zoom does quite a few other things as well. Not sure about auto-wah or synthy stuff though.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Zoom CDR doesn't do synthy stuff at all, but it's a GREAT pedal. I have 2 of them.

Zoom MS-100BT DOES have some more appropriate fx for those sounds...so I would look into that one.

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/MS-100BT_FX-list_English.pdf
Depends on what you mean by "synthy". You're right that it doesn't do classic POG stuff, but between particle verb and the various (albeit limited) pitch-shifting and multi-chorus stuff, you can build some pretty synth sounding patches. I got the formula for a great synthy-sounding "soft focus verb" patch on another thread here on TGP and, all by itself, Particle Verb is my favorite synth pad sound ever (but it is also a great mixer with other stuff, as is the Space Verb). I guess it all depends on the particular sound you are looking for.

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah. Depends on what OP means by synthy I guess.

100BT actually has MonoSynth and Moog Filter algorithm. That AND a CDR for ParticleVerb would be a sweet combo

jamminoutloud1

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah. Depends on what OP means by synthy I guess.

100BT actually has MonoSynth and Moog Filter algorithm. That AND a CDR for ParticleVerb would be a sweet combo
Something in the whammy/hog type styles ideally, but I'm open to other type synth sounds as well. The problem w m5 is its sooo sensitive to the stack, that if u play a little louder it can get really loud out of nowhere.

jamminoutloud1

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome...will check out these suggestions. Any other psmall pedals that people reccomend for just chorus/phaser/wah/etc? Is there any tc electronic pedals worth checking out?

nitefly7

I'm actually going the other way, I've created space on my board for one last utility pedal, which'll be the M5.
For me the combination of expression options, MIDI, sounds and banking up/down options, gives the M5 the edge over any other compact multieffect (maybe the Zoom G3n is more flexible, but it is a big deal larger).

On my grab'n go Metro16-board I have the MS-100bt w/mods so I can connect an external footswitch to increase banks and select the 6 separate fx in one chain. It's a hassle to bank down though, which is where I think the M5 trumps any of the Zooms.
The MS-70CDR can be controlled by usb-MIDI with a convertor though, so you could look into that one.
Soundwise, I think I prefer the Zoom pedals overall, though the trems, tube echo and expression options in the L6 made me decide to try that one (again).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom