selling third party IRs?

hobbes1

Do people have the ability to sell collections of IRs that they no longer use? I'm talking about OH or Redwirez, etc. IOW, is there a used market for that and is there good place to purchase them?

jimfist

these 3rd party companies work very hard and sell these IRs at a ridiculously reasonable price. Just go to the source point of sale and support their good work.

TheSchwartz

I'd say it's pretty bad form to sell a 3rd party IR library as "used" (ones and zeros can't technically be used since they don't physically exist), especially considering the fact that there's nothing stopping the seller from keeping a copy of the library and selling it over and over again.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I didn't check the fine print on the license agreement when I bought my Red Wirez but I suspect that reselling them is probably not allowed under the agreement.

gtr37

OP don't do it
people work very hard and invest a lot of time and money
To do these they are not getting rich and the pricing is more than fair for their products

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
So what's the consensus on including paid profiles/IR's in the sale of an item? I see it all the time and nobody says anything. As I see it, including them in a sale is the same as selling them, no? Should a guy remove them from the unit before sale? What's the difference in selling a $100 IR/profile pack and selling anything else used?

gtr37

So what's the consensus on including paid profiles/IR's in the sale of an item? I see it all the time and nobody says anything. As I see it, including them in a sale is the same as selling them, no? Should a guy remove them from the unit before sale? What's the difference in selling a $100 IR/profile pack and selling anything else used?

I just sold my AxeMK2 when i got Ax8 and I removed my OH ,except for the free Mesa he offers

ltkojak

Well, as everything covered by Intellectual Property laws, what you actually pay for is NOT the IR itself, but a license to use it.

It is legal to transfer a license from one user to other, but this transaction has to be authorized and/or handled by the IR author him(it)self.

Due to the almost ridiculous low price of the offerings, I wouldn't bother with it. Hell, you pay more to a child to mow your lawn than you pay Ownhammer for a top-of-the-line IR set!

TTripp

I don't think you'll find a consensus, but paid for third party patches/IRs should be removed, IMO.

hobbes1

I was thinking more along the lines of selling something like IK multimedia software products or Superior Drummer. This is relatively common and there is a procedure for it. No need for anyone to get in a twist over it :)

hobbes1

As stated by another user, selling the LICENSE is what I'm trying to discuss, not ripping off OH, etc.

AD1982

Sure, you can sell 3rd party IRs. But Ownhammer and Red Wirez reserves the right to place electrodes on your nuts and provide you with impulse responses to your pants, in case you violate terms.

hobbes1

Opinions are like a-@#&%'s I guess

. if someone spends $125 on a big box pack and later dumps modeling for tubes, why shouldn't they be able to recoup some cost back, by selling g the IRs and licenses?

chrisjnyc

OP, I say sell away! People sell software all the time on Ebay\CL. You can sell the used licenses just like a store can sell returned items.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't sell third party IRs on their own; but I would most definitely sell them installed on a modeling device. Most of the guys update their presets periodically, so the buyer would only get the version on the device; not necessarily the current version or obviously future updates. I can see some people getting a little tweaked on that idea, but I don't particularly care.

Last edited:

gtr37

OP, I say sell away! People sell software all the time on Ebay\CL. You can sell the used licenses just like a store can sell returned items.
It doesn't make it right and that's the issue just like napster
Pirated movies. Sure you can do whatever you want but don't take offense when you get a bit of flak

chrisjnyc

It doesn't make it right and that's the issue just like napster
Pirated movies. Sure you can do whatever you want but don't take offense when you get a bit of flak
It's not really that much of a slippery slope. If you ever bought or sold a PC\laptop, you are selling a copy of Windows which you are not be able to do. Given that Amazon, Tiger Direct, Newegg, Staples and other companies are selling used\refurbished PCs, its one of those issues where everyone tuns a blind eye to the exact letter of the law. If I buy an album from itunes and use the download option, I should be able to sell the MP3 files like I can sell a CD. Maybe its worth pennies on the dollar but it should still have some re-sale value when it is in a electronic format.

gtr37

It's not really that much of a slippery slope. If you ever bought or sold a PC\laptop, you are selling a copy of Windows which you are not be able to do. Given that Amazon, Tiger Direct, Newegg, Staples and other companies are selling used\refurbished PCs, its one of those issues where everyone tuns a blind eye to the exact letter of the law. If I buy an album from itunes and use the download option, I should be able to sell the MP3 files like I can sell a CD. Maybe its worth pennies on the dollar but it should still have some re-sale value when it is in a electronic format.

When you bought the PC it had an operating system
My axe fx did not ship with OH
IR's they were after market
To me it's a question of moral decency and it's cool every one is entitled to their opinion
But if every one gave away preset or sold their presets with the OH packs then he is losing sales and you are hurting his business

Trending Topics