Selling through Facebook Marketplace

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by slogger, Sep 17, 2019.

1. slogger

slogger Member

Anybody having luck selling gear through FB marketplace?
    I talked to a fellow musician that needed to purge gear who said he had a great experience with it.

DirtLover likes this.
  2. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Yeah, I've sold a couple of guitars, a motorcycle and a truck. It seemed a bit less scammy than CL and you can see who the potential buyer is.

3. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I bought my favorite guitar through FB Marketplace. All I've been able to sell so far has been an LP-style hard case, which ironically, came with the aforementioned guitar.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

yes, and it goes something like this:

[​IMG]

no, I'm not exaggerating!

agiehler, Crowder, jens5 and 7 others like this.
  5. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

It is basically CL attached to a Facebook profile, no better or worse. It is fun to take a quick peak at when traveling, because it updates your location.

Crowder likes this.
  6. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

My experience has been mixed on FB Marketplace. I had a pedal listed for $125 and a guy offered $70. I said "no thanks" and the guy called me a bad seller and tried to explain how negotiations work. On the other hand, I've sold a few guitars on there that went fine.

7. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Just bought a guitar from there! I never check it because the offerings are always crap in my area, and I think that's the way most people feel about it, but I just happened to randomly look and here we are. As a seller I think it's nice to do a little recon on the potential buyers facebook profiles to see who you're dealing with.

8. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Nope, you even forgot the part of the complete nonsense trade offer and/or the lowballer super expert offering not even half the price with the remark you better accept it now as that‘s the best you can get

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Love selling on Facebook. There's a local 'Musicians Garage sale' group on there. I like that I can see their profile, and I like that they can see mine, as opposed to faceless anonymous people. I've only had good experiences (knock on wood)

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I bought a bass with it, went pretty well. At least you have some background info via the user's page, for what that's worth.
    The seller was pretty clueless, but that's not FB's fault.

11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Once I had a guy in a local band ask if I could finance a bass for him.
    I told him I could, but it would remain in MY possession until the final payment.

Also had a guy say that about taking his offer or he'll just check with me in a week. I told him it would be sold on Monday morning if it didn't sell over the weekend.
    He came right over & paid my price w/o haggling. A week later he posted it on a forum for sale w/o the expression-pedal or the footswitch.
    He made about $40 probably, what a waste, but I guess he might have just not liked it.

re: knowing something about them on FB
    I see it ALL the time on other for-sale groups, where someone cheats someone & then immediately blocks them.

12. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

I sold an older Ampeg B2RE bass head through FB marketplace. Was very convenient.

13. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

My wife found our twice used 2018 camper on FB Marketplace. Saved us about 10k off a new one.

14. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

I don't want people knowing my full name and reverse searching my home address. To me it's akin to posting vacation photos while on the trip, you're begging to be robbed.

15. The Tone Ranger

The Tone Ranger Supporting Member

I sold a walnut Ric 330 12 string. Went smooth.

16. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I'd rather use FB Marketplace (or one of several local FB musician buy/sell/trade pages) than CL anymore. I've had good luck in the past with CL, but FB has been just as good or better. I don't do much buying/selling/trading anymore, but when I do, it's almost always thru FB.

17. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Exactly. I also don’t like that it lets EVERYONE your friends with on FB see what you’re selling. I don’t need my deadbeat poor mouthing cousin seeing me listing a pricier guitar and making snarky comments about his perception of my income. It’s no ones business. Instead I’ve joined local private gear selling groups. I’ve had pretty good success there. I don’t use my full real name, so no issues with the reverse search.

18. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

Sold a couple guitars and recently bought a '68 Bassman head and cab and picked up a free Hammond organ. Also sold some toys my kiddos outgrew.

All transactions went very well. I'm starting to prefer FB marketplace to CL. Way less scammy thus far.

I still sell pedals and smaller stuff here in the Emporium, but I've had one instance of bad luck with a guitar I shipped and one on an amp that was shipped to me - so big stuff gets sold locally.

19. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I kind of agree with this.

20. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Supporting Member

just sold an amp through FB

Went well, buyer was on vacation, contacted me and said he really wanted it. Paid me up front and asked me to hold it till he got back and could pick it up. Came to my work and got it, nice guy.

I'll try selling stuff again