• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Selling Vintage Guitars

EB3

Hello,
I have inherited a couple very valuable guitars, and i have a couple questions...

These have been in the family since the 50s and 60s. Is now just a good of time as any to sell, or does prolonging sales make a difference in value? As in waiting 5 more years will help increase the price.

Where are the best places to go and look to get the best price? Online, Auctions, specialty music places? Etc

Apologies if this topic has been hammered.

Thanks.

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
I'd sell it now unless you're waffling on sentimental value. The current market prices are still higher than pre-Covid & trends in the vintage guitar market are impossible to predict. Hindsight is the only way to know when is the best time to sell.

As far as where to sell, unless you already have a shop in mind, I'd be looking at established vintage dealers like Emerald City Guitars or Norm's Rare Guitars rather than online like Reverb or Ebay. It also depends on what guitars you're talking about. Selling a $5K guitar on Reverb might be nerve racking but doable whereas I wouldn't recommend it for an original Burst :cool:

EB3

I'd sell it now unless you're waffling on sentimental value. The current market prices are still higher than pre-Covid & trends in the vintage guitar market are impossible to predict. Hindsight is the only way to know when is the best time to sell.

As far as where to sell, unless you already have a shop in mind, I'd be looking at established vintage dealers like Emerald City Guitars or Norm's Rare Guitars rather than online like Reverb or Ebay. It also depends on what guitars you're talking about. Selling a $5K guitar on Reverb might be nerve racking but doable whereas I wouldn't recommend it for an original Burst :cool:
Thanks for the input! The 2 main ones are a 1959 blonde stratocoaster and 1964 firebird 3.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Hello,
I have inherited a couple very valuable guitars, and i have a couple questions...

These have been in the family since the 50s and 60s. Is now just a good of time as any to sell, or does prolonging sales make a difference in value? As in waiting 5 more years will help increase the price.

Where are the best places to go and look to get the best price? Online, Auctions, specialty music places? Etc

Apologies if this topic has been hammered.

Thanks.
Now is a perfect time to sell - the market is peaking.
I strongly recommend you sell them to, or consign with, a top vintage dealer - if they are the High Spots you are indicating, they will get the most visibility for them.

Many of us have relationships with dealers we'd recommend as honest and fair and deeply knowledgeable. If you want to talk with RetroFret, you are welcome to PM me and I can help you out.

Edited to add - you mean a Firebird like this?
RetroFret Vintage Guitars

Note their asking price - a mere $13,500. Oh man has that surged!!

EB3

Now is a perfect time to sell - the market is peaking.
I strongly recommend you sell them to, or consign with, a top vintage dealer - if they are the High Spots you are indicating, they will get the most visibility for them.

Many of us have relationships with dealers we'd recommend as honest and fair and deeply knowledgeable. If you want to talk with RetroFret, you are welcome to PM me and I can help you out.

Edited to add - you mean a Firebird like this?
RetroFret Vintage Guitars

Note their asking price - a mere $13,500. Oh man has that surged!!

Yes that is it.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
With The Gear Page you have to use another site to host the picks and post a link here. The moderators did hold a poll and users overwhelmingly support direct uploads, but I guess that hasn’t been implemented yet.

That Blonde ‘59 Strat is going to be worth quite a bit if all original.

If you are not an expert and cannot validate all the details, your best bet is consignment with a well known and reputable vintage dealer. I’d talk to those already mentioned as well as Gruhn, Carter Vintage, Rumbleseat, Well Strung Guitars, etc.

Good luck. I wish I was in a position to talk to you about that Strat!

pepedede

It doesn't seem i am allowed to post pics.

You can link them. I use Facebook, just upload the pic to fbook, view full size, copy the address into the image icon for the post here. Others use instagram etc.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Mid Atlantic...i have found a few people interested but being the greedy capitalist i am I of course want to get the most:D:p
Gil Southworth
Buzzy Levine at Lark St in NJ
RetroFret in Brooklyn
TJ Crandall in Manhattan

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
Mid Atlantic...i have found a few people interested but being the greedy capitalist i am I of course want to get the most:D:p
I guarantee that you will not be able to get full retail selling these on your own. Especially for the blond '59 Strat - this is the sort of guitar price bracket where the reputation of the dealer selling it is a major factor in the market price.

Not only can a dealer consignment get you as much or higher than you can get on your own, they can potentially connect with existing buyers and move it quicker and with less hassle.

The main shops to consider have already been listed in this thread (Well Strung Guitars, Emerald City Guitars, Retrofret, Rumbleseat Music, Carter Vintage), it would certainly be worth your time having a conversation with some of these dealers.

EDIT
- considering you are in the mid-Atlantic area, you are situated close to some of the best dealers in the country. Well Strung Guitars is in Farmingdale, NY and Retrofret in Brooklyn are both among the most knowledgeable and trustworthy shops in the country.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Gil Southworth
Has anyone dealt with Gil lately? He was at the last guitar show I went to, pre-Covid. He seemed a bit eccentric wearing slippers and a bath robe. Maybe he’s always been that way? He had a couple 50’s Strats for sale that had a couple issues that were not reflected in the asking price…

Johnny V.

Yeah, I'd recommend consignment with a well known and reputable dealer. I've been clearing out some of my stuff and I weighed the options-I ended up consigning with our local vintage dealer, Bernunzio Uptown Music. The extra 5-10% they get over selling it yourself on Reverb or Ebay is worth it. They usually can get higher prices, they deal with the buyers, they deal with shipping etc, and their presentation is probably better than I could do on my own. I've sold plenty of stuff through various outlets , but in this case, I'm happy to sit back and collect the checks when the items sell.

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
As long as you are willing to take on the associated risks that go along with doing it on your own. Take pictures post an ad take Paypal and hope you don't get a chargeback and pack it up and hope UPS does not smash it too bad.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Has anyone dealt with Gil lately? He was at the last guitar show I went to, pre-Covid. He seemed a bit eccentric wearing slippers and a bath robe. Maybe he’s always been that way? He had a couple 50’s Strats for sale that had a couple issues that were not reflected in the asking price…
I hear ya. I haven't dealt with / seen him in years. But since has been in Maryland for years, I thought he was worth mentioning.

EB3

I have had 2 people via email offer me top retail value for both, however on the strat i have heard of it going for double. I guess that is the chance you take correct?

Anyone familiar with true vintage guitar in Alabama?

Last edited:

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
I have had 2 people via email offer me top retail value for both, however on the strat i have heard of it going for double. I guess that is the chance you take correct?

Anyone familiar with true vintage guitar in Alabama?
He hangs out here - @True Vintage Guitar
He's moved some doozies!

Top Bottom