Selling your first guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nrvana8775, Jun 24, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Well, I'm looking to upgrade to a g&l. Right now, I have a MIM strat that I have modified quite a bit. I will take most of the pickups and extras out and put them into the g&l.

I like the guitar but I am at the point where I want to upgrade my equipment. I've been playing for 10 years now and I somewhat have the money.

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I've owned many G&L's, USA and import.

The pickups that come with G&L Legacy's and ASAT's don't need replacing! That goes for the hardware too. Very nice factory stock guitars.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Haha, but what about selling my first guitar to finance it? ;)

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Well, I've been playing for 10 years, and I feel like I've outgrown my MIM fenders. They are good guitars, but I'm upgrading my whole rig and moving to another city in pursuit of a music career. I will need to eventually sell them to finance the new g&l's.

I don't know if I will have any huge regrets selling it. I like the guitar and it plays alright, but I would like a better build quality.

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Good luck with your new music career. Buy used.

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Always buy used.

Thanks for the side-stepping :)

I'm going to get the guitar and see what I want to do from there.

7. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I'm not sure anyone was sidestepping, you never actually asked a question with your OP.

So what?...sell your first guitar, or don't. Frankly you wont get much for it anyways. it's a MIM strat, cheap and plentiful...secondly it's been modded a bunch, that actually detracts from value most of the time.

If you're going to pursue a music career you'll need a backup guitar anyways.

8. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

If you like the MIM, keep it. Don't sell it. Like someone previously said, you'll need a backup, may as well be one you are comfortable with.

Let me give you some advice if I may. I've been in and out of gigging bands since I was 18 - that's 20 years (ouch!). Currently I'm enjoying sitting on the sidelines and just recording for myself. I've found over the years the price tag on an instrument doesn't mean squat. Play what feels good to you. If that means a cheap guitar - then so be it. If that means a more expensive guitar - than you owe it to yourself as a guitarist to buy it. Don't look at brands, price tags, etc - just play the darn thing. If it trips your trigger - you are home free. Don't worry about what others think- names and quality do not always go hand in hand. One persons quality is another persons junk. One persons junk is another persons quality. Get it?

9. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

+1

Many a guitar player got famous while using inexpensive $50 pawnshop type guitars or guitars that were entirely out of vogue in the old days.... Johnny Ramone's mosrite, Rory Gallagher's corvette, Leslie West and Mick Ralphs juniors, Steve Marriott's coronet, Brian Setzer's 6120..... and many more.

10. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

If you can swing it, keep your first guitar. My first electric was a 70's Global Strat copy. Not a great guitar, but I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.

11. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Well, I have MIM strat and tele. I just got a g&l legacy exactly like my strat for about $470, so I might be able to keep the old strat. The tele will have to go though, once I find another one like it.

I enjoy the feel of the neck, but after changing out the pots, pickups, bridge, nut, electronics, etc. I realized that the wood in the neck and body were causing many of the tonal issues that I wasn't displeased with.

I have no bias towards a price tag or a brand. I've just realized that there is only so much you can do to a guitar to make it sound good, and that the two most important pieces really can't be upgraded. I'll keep the strat though, and probably part out most of the upgrades. I can keep it around and return it to the stock parts.

12. Raymund

Raymund Member

My second guitar (the first one was stolen in the early seventies) is a Ibanez Les Paul from 1972. It does not get played anymore (I own 14 Gibbies, Hamers and Fenders) but I still have a very strong bonding to that guitar. Solution: I handed it over to my daughter knowing that she is appreciating it and taking care of it.

13. Thor

Thor Member

Why would you consider selling your first guitar? It has served you well for 10 years, you have modified it to your liking. A used MIM strat won't fetch much at all, and a stripped out one would be hard to simply give away. Sounds like a nice back-up guitar to me. Maybe I'm overly sentimental, but that's what I would do.

Cheers,

Edward

14. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I could never sell my first guitar. I've had it for 10 years and it carries so many memories of friends, family and great times.

You're talking a few hundred dollars for a used, modded MIM Fender, so unless you really need the money, I wouldn't bother getting rid of it.

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

Ditto ... I've had my first (good) guitar for 28 years now. Couldn't sell it. I didn't used to play very often, so I upgraded a few things on it, swapped pickups ... now it gets used a lot more and is an even more personal article.

Hang onto the MIM

16. Birddog

Birddog Member

My oldest decent guitar is a 1994 MIM Strat. I've considered selling it a few times and it's now the lowest value axe in the fleet...However, I've now resolved to hang on to it, since every time I play it, it just feels perfect, and perfectly broken in. I've gigged with it recently, and it's not at all put to shame by my better guitars. It's actually a very nice instrument.

As others have said, you won't get much for it and you'll probably regret it eventually if you do decide to jettison it.

17. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm upset that I sold my acoustic that I learned on.

I sold it for $10. It played good, and it sounded good. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't need the $10, I think I probably just wanted to get rid of the embarrasment of that cheap guitar.

18. tmuka

tmuka Member

I got my '96 MIM strat used from a pawn shop for my 16th birthday... I think those must have been some good years for mim strats since mine really has some mojo and feels great to play. I've hung onto it over the years despite going through several other higher dollar guitars... I agree with the others here- if you like it, hang onto it...

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I left my first guitar in a locker at LAX if it makes you feel any better.

20. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Take it from someone who's done it; Don't do it.

GAD