Semi-hollow body suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrOctagon, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

I'm in the market for a semi-hollow body guitar. I've been eyeing up the dot as I like the es355 look and they seem to be a good value and relatively frequent on the local craigslist. I'm looking to pretty much mod it out I'm just wondering if there's anything I should look for while buying one or any suggestions on some other ~300 used guitars that would be great to mod. Thanks

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Best user name of the year! Are you the paramedic fetus from the East?

In the $300 range, I like the Ibanez Artcore semi-hollows (used); Washburn also makes a good 335 copy if you can find it. But really, it's hard to go wrong with a Dot.

As far as what to look out for is concerned : on semi-hollows, I look for cracks in the wood and evidence of separation of the plates from the rim, as well as the neck from the body. Also, of course, integrity +straightness of the neck

3. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

FYI - This same thread was up not long ago so you may want to do a search.

4. milospilo

milospilo Member

I pimped my Epiphone Sheraton with a couple of Bare-Knuckle Mules and it now isn't too far away from my Gibson 335. With the right pickups, a lot of the lower end semi's can sound great. Worth thinking about.

5. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

The far East. I'm from the Church of the Operating Room, Russia. I did a quick search I didn't come up with anything I'll look again. I meant more as far as years or country of manufacture to look for for especially good quality.

6. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Exactly what I'm about to I've heard good things about Bare Knuckles and figured it'd be as good a guitar as any to try them out on. Any bridge or tuner replacements or is the hardware on the Sheraton good quality?

7. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I'm diggin' the gently used AS73 I picked up over the weekend...

8. milospilo

milospilo Member

The hardware on my Sheraton has stood the test of time, although it is a 1990 Samick one. I'm not sure if the hardware has gone down hill since they moved production to china.

The pickups were the weak link and I tried various different choices before the Bareknuckles. They are simply amazing. I wouldn't have believed what a difference spending a bit more money would make.

Put it this way, I'm thinking of taking the '57 classics out of my Gibson and putting some Bareknuckles in. That or I just go back to using my cheap old epiphone :)

9. runnamukk

runnamukk Member

I'm in between a 2009 Epi Dot Studio with Gibson 498T and 490R pickups (out of my LP), and a Dillion DR450 with Duncan Alnico II Pros and upgraded electrics. The Dot is a bulky thing for me (mountain dwarf build) so I generally prefer the Dillion. It's very light, and has a nice clean full sound that can switch to a gnarly growl when you want it to. Have to say it's got weak sustain however compared to the Dot, or even the ES120T I used to have. Even with the upgrades, I don't have more than $500 US in either guitar.

10. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

Paging Dr. Octagon...

11. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ $#!%, patient just died in Room 105! Nurse, come in, please, where are you?

12. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Just to be the nitpicky old fogey today, I would like to clarify. The ES-335/345/355 are semi-solid electrics with a solid block of wood through the hollow body. My version of the semi-solid is my 89 Gibson Chet atkins Country Gentleman. These guitars and the old Ibanez Artist models from the 80s are great for louder music.

Semi-hollow - to me anyway - is referring to a thinner-than-acoustic hollowbody electric similar to the Gibson ES-330. These are cool (and much lighter) guitars, but tend to feed back more at louder volumes. I went with an Ibanez Artcore ASF75TD with a bigsby.

Whatever model you decide on, I suggest making it cooler with the Bigsby!

That is all!

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Yamaha SA2200. Fantastic 335 type guitar w/great pickups that can be split. Get more for your money.

14. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

First thing I would do is consider the high end Japanese models. Better guitars @ way less money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Yep. If you come across one in good shape grab it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Teobeck

Teobeck Member

My Fret King Elise small semi hollow arrived today in perfect condition from UK at $849. My first blush impressions: 1) Slightly wider than a Gibson ES (width) but more jazz box style wonderful semi hollow sound, great for R&B classics rhythm playing (especially on my Fender Deluxe Reverb). Quite a surprise with hollowed out mahogany slab and figured maple cap as opposed to laminates, as it sounds woodier than even laminates do (think ES-339)(my Gibson Midtown is same construction with less tone); 2) headstock is at a slight angle Gibson style but it is easier to tune with its 6 inline 3) the humbuckers are truly PAF sounding, and are voiced for darker rhythm tones on neck pup as well as brighter tones achieved with the varitone and bridge pup 4) it favors an ES-339 in size/looks, but the violin color (tobacco sunburst) is original. Finished F holes, shell binding. Front strap button is on upper horn. Splendid instrument. Trev Wilkinson is to be commended.

17. Hawking

Hawking Member

Check out epiphones ES-335 Pro

18. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I love my DOT. I replaced the tone caps with 3300 pF PIO wired a la 50's scheme and radiused the pickup pole pieces to match the fretboard. Bone nut. Dynamite.

I previously had a DOT studio. The step up is significant. If I were in the market again, I would consider an Artcore with bigsby, but the DoT is a keeper for me.

19. ngativ

ngativ Member

Artcores of any model are good. You might considerer more solid ones like PRS SE and Fender Thinline. The yamaha in the other post looks fantastic.

Epiphones are very popular (for some reason :S)