Semi-hollow similar to ES 137?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Trick, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Trick

Trick Member

Hi, I'm wondering what other guitars are out there that have a similar size to the Gibson es-137. As far as I know, this guitar is basically not much larger than a les paul and looking for one that size, not a big jazz box. I'm looking for a nice semi-hollow but probably not as expensive as the Gibson. Any suggestions? Looking to do primarily blues, rock, but would also include acoustic type stuff. What do you think of the Carvin SH series?

thanks for the help

2. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

3. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

The 137 IS much larger than a Les Paul. It really is a full size jazz box, just an inch thinner than say a 175.

4. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I have an Eastman T185 that plays and sounds and looks wonderful. 335 design, but solid woods and fully hollow except for a bridge block. It's 15" at the lower bout. the T186 is 16" and there's a T184 that's 14". I've been playing mine for nearly a year and happy with everything stock. About $1k used, less if you're a patient shopper.

5. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

Lots of choices and buyers market used. +1 on Eastman. Also, Gibson 339 or Howard Roberts Fusion are nice.

6. teletroy

teletroy Member

I got a 137 at guitar center earlier this year - for some reason they were blowing the blueburst ones out the door for $875 or something close to that. I had just called them to see if they had any, I had a deal in the works for a used one from a dude for $1400 - glad I called :)

It is bigger than my lp for sure, and it rocks pretty good too

7. PixMix

PixMix Member

Check out ES-135s. They're not made anymore, so that leaves you with an option for considering a used one. They can be absolutely wonderful guitars.

8. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Ibanez artcore has one, just search ibanez semi on ebay...it's an AG something i think, and many of them are bubinga wood.

9. Trick

Trick Member

thanks to all the replies...I never got the chance to play an es 137 yet...so wasn't sure on the exact size, so thanks for the info. I saw an artist using something that looked like an es 137 but it had a regular dot inlay fretboard. I really like the look of that guitar. Maybe it is an es 135 as previously mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.