Semi OT: Amazing Mac Pro Deal

Orren

This post isn't about recording per se, but its definitely about a screaming deal on inarguably an excellent computer for recording.

With my finances, I'll be using my 4-core "vintage" Mac Pro, now 2 years old, for many more years. But wow, what a deal! If I had this kinda money, I'd jump on this:
http://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?PRODUCT_ID=598061

This is last years top of the line model, for a couple hundred less than the lowest end current model, and some $1100 less than the current top of the line model. This is less than even Apple's refurbs, and it's for a new machine. This store has a very good online reputation, so it's not BS.

Honestly if this were within my budget, even if I were a Windows recording software user, I'd get this, create a Windows XP boot partition, and run Sonar or Reaper (that, BTW, is what Cakewalk does at trade shows and internally...). Forget all the platform wars: this is just a fantastic price on a powerful and elegantly designed mini-tower PC.

Orren

retro

Yep that is a very good deal Orren.

I have a 2008 2.8GHz model. With the NVIDIA 8800 GT card I added, I think it was around $3,330.00-3,400.00 a year ago.

I run Windows on mine also. Very easy to do.

headstack

That is a good price for that machine.
However, if I have read my information correctly. The new Quad Core @2.66 is faster than that, and costs $2,400. The new Eight core is only $600 more runs at only 2.16g so it runs cooler, has multithreading architecture, so it has 16 virtual cores, and due to the physical design of the processor board, the data stream never goes outside of the processors, so the trip is shorter, and thus, faster that all the other machines, even though it sports the slowest processor speed. I would save your pennies for a few months more and get a Nahalen Eight core or Quad core machine. As amazing as last years machines are, and they are incredible, this processor will be the one to have when Snow Leopard gets debugged (face it, it will need it like every other OS:eek:), up and running, and the DAW software folks get up to speed. It will be a little while yet, but I really think it will be worth the wait... Finally!

LSchefman

It's a very good deal. I'm running so much stuff on my 2008 model that I can't believe it. Very fast, very capable, and still glad I bought it just before they came out with the new ones.

Trending Topics