1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Semour Duncan problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jay66, Jul 30, 2006.

1. jay66

jay66 Member

I have 2 Semour duncans in a guitar and I have noticed a high pitched ringing as a note or chord decays. They are a distortion bridge and a 59 and both do this in all 3 positions.I can tame it down some by turning the tone pots down on the guitar but can't get rid of it. I have another guitar with duncans 59 neck and a custom in the bridge and that one dosn't do this using the same amp and exact setup. Any Thoughts?

2. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Very unlikely it's a pickup problem since it happens in all 3 positions. Chck all your hardware to make sure it's tight. Check trem springs to make sure they aren't ringing. Try touching different parts of the guitar when you hear the ringing to find out what is vibrating. Make sure the truss rod nut has tension on it.

3. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Does this happen with a clean tone or a high gain tone? It could be feedback squeels.

4. jay66

jay66 Member

Mostly clean tone, distorted it is very faint. It has a TOM Bridge so no springs to worry about. Can't seem to find anything loose.

5. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

It may be something wrong with the pickups. But it'd be surprising as it happens with both pickups. Otherwise, my best guess is a loose truss rod. I had an acoustic with a loose truss rod and it gave off a high pitch ringing sound. Try tightening the truss rod a bit maybe a small eighth turn. If it doesn't go away, give it another.

What guitar is this? Does it do the ringing when played acoustically or only plugged in? That would really help eliminate some things.

6. jay66

jay66 Member

Its a solid body that I built last year. It only does this when its plugged in. It didn't always do this, I'm going to put a new set of strings on it and see if that makes a difference. Maybe I got some funky strings.

7. shoe124

shoe124 Member

I have a cheap tele and the strings vibrate between the tuning pegs and the nut. If I hit a stacatto chord and stop it, they will ring...