• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

sending AAC files via email...garageband

joolzriff

im recording songs with a guy via online....i do all the music and i send a high quality mp3 to him to sing onto and master..so far so good....
SO how do i send an even higher quality file the AAC one? so far its too large to send as an attachment....how do u guys do it?
he wants me to send a WAV but the MAC dosnt deal with wav jus aac

scottlr

Hi retro!

joolzzriff, my friend and I use Dropbox for file transfers. Works like a charm. It's just a folder that's always on your desktop that you share with others. Free and simple. We also use Skype to have discussions face to face. I'm in Iowa; he's in CA.

CyberFerret

I use box.net for sharing large files with my clients. I believe the free service give you up to 25Gb of space. Their web site is really nice and easy to use, and they also let your receivers preview the file before downloading (MP3's, PDF's etc.)

Recently though, I saw a thread on here promoting Gobbler.com, which was designed purely for musicians in order to share large files online. I jumped on their beta program, and it seems to be a cool solution for backing up your audio works. I haven't actually tried collaborating or sharing with it yet, but it sounds like it would do what you are wanting...

JeanNoir

I rely heavily on collaboration for my music. This used to mean driving hard drives between LA and surrounding suburbs. I tried Dropbox but it was crashing. Heard about Gobbler through this thread and it's working for me. Posting a new EP shortly... stay tuned.

Somniferous

I've used dropbox a lot when working with various theaters for sound design work, it worked out great, especially for getting changes to the script and rehearsal schedules to everyone, no one had to remember to attach a file to an email just save it in the dropbox folder and everyone gets it.

There are now many more options out there for cloud storage, just make sure the one you choose allows you to share a folder easily. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them especially since most are now offering 5GB or more for free users.

FFTT

You can also place the file in your iDisk and allow your friend to access it via the web
with the password you provide.

Somniferous

You can also place the file in your iDisk and allow your friend to access it via the web
with the password you provide.
Only reason I don't like doing this is that if you want to stop sharing something you have to change your password instead of just deleting the shared folder.

antiquodian

Hi retro!

joolzzriff, my friend and I use Dropbox for file transfers. Works like a charm. It's just a folder that's always on your desktop that you share with others. Free and simple. We also use Skype to have discussions face to face. I'm in Iowa; he's in CA.
+1 on Dropbox.

LSchefman

Apple works with WAV files, that's what I use in Logic. But as someone pointed out, AIFF files work fine, too.

I use Box.com.

SideBMusic

Hi retro!

You THINK I'm in California!

Yeah, it works great. If you don't want something like Dropbox there are sites that will allow you to send large files. YouSendIt is one.

Hey, Retro, I met you and Scott on the Apple Discussions: GarageBand forum way back when it was GarageBand 1. [waving hand]

deeaa

Dropbox is great & handy, but when you start getting larger and larger files, it may be worth it to get online storage from some ISP. I pay a fiver a month for 50GB which is easily enough for lots and lots of videos too, not just music.

We send loads of 24bit WAV files using that FTP...RAR them up to save even more space.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom