Sending an amp, having gutted, and a different amp put in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LP51122, Feb 23, 2009.

1. LP51122

LP51122 Member

Has anyone done this? I've heard about how Fuchs used to do something like this, where you could send them a blackface Fender or some other kind of of amp and they would redo it and put a Dumble circuit in it. Anyone have experience with this?

Those of you how have done it, how much did it cost? I'd like an ODS from Fuchs or Omega but they're quite expensive so I'd like to know if this cuts down on the price at all. Also, are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Thanks!

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It saves you some money because typically the builder doesn't have to buy the transformers - he'll reuse yours. And the chassis is worth something too.

The downside is, he reuses your transformers. Which might or might not be optimal for the circuit going into the bebuild. A good builder will tailor the circuit as much as possible to fit the reused parts, but if there's a sound you're after and the iron is wrong, you won't get the sound you're after.

3. alguit

alguit Member

This can be a very worhtwhile pursuit; remember that Randall Smith started Mesa by modifying a little Fender Princeton!

Fuchs did indeed also once offer this; I live near Andy and used to hear people in the area with such conversion, and they were impressive.

I'm about to send my Carr Slant 6V to Red Plate amps to have a conversion done for a Dumble tone-it's ridiculously inexpensive, too, and I've heard the same amp with his work done on youtube-it sounds great!

What amp do you have in mind?

4. LP51122

LP51122 Member

I've heard that amp - it sounds great.

Not sure what I would send - maybe a Bandmaster of some sort, or a Bassman.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I usually sell the old amp and just build/buy a new one. I thought about doing this with my JCM 800, but it was easier to sell it and just buy another amp. Plus, then your new amp will also have resale value.

6. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the amp, the builder, the circuit. To many variables. A Dumble type circuit would work best with high powered fender iron or Music man. There is a reason why Alex stuck mostly to fender showmans and bassman for his rebuilds. While there are a few marshalls floating around out there. Fender iron seems to work best with his circuits.

The other thing you need to ask yourself and the builder is do you want a ground up rebuild or do you want tweaks or mods?

One will be substantially less expensive than the other. The amp and it;s iron would play a larger role in the mod or tweak depending on the sound you are looking for.

I currently have 3 amps and another one the way that were all once BF showman. 2 were modded and sound awesome. 2 are complete rebuilds 1 also sounds awesome and the other I have not heard yet as it's still being built but I suspect based on the builders previous work it will be outstanding.

Finally, as far as resale value goes. Once again depending on the person doing the work the amp can either be worth more or less.

In most cases if it's the right person doing the work with the right amp it's almost always worth more. Depending on the quality of the work also. I have seen a couple amps in the emporium by builders that charge $4000 plus for their amps look like complete abortions. They may sound fantastic but after astetics are also important when it comes to resale value.

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

We have recently resumed our mod program after about a 5 year hiatus.

We'll do a limited number of models, most of which are commonly available on E-bay, and we specifically non-classic amps. We avoid Blackface amps (unless previously hacked-up). Mods average from 1000 to 1500, depending on features. Some pictures of modded amps to be posted shortly. Professionally built and wired, new control panels and all new guts with a one year warranty. They retain value, and we have many TGP'ers who own or owned them over the years, and are very happy with them.

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/service-and-mods.php