Sennheiser E 609 Silver ... looking for an equivilent alternative ... ?

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all

Recently did some recordings for a colleague of his cranked up AC 30 using his Sennheiser e 609 Silver - never used this mic before but it came up a real treat :) .... really great sounding on the amp ... to my surprise I very much preferred it to the 57 I normally mic cabs with .... anyway ....

I was going to borrow his e609 for my own recording buts he's away on holidays for a week or so ..... no worries I say to myself .... went to my local pro store and they carry every mic you can think of but they are out of e 609's .... theyve got all the other Senny's but not the e 609 .... and as the local wholesaler is shut for the break .... and I dont like buying 2nd hand mic's ..... I'd like to find another alternative equivalent mic that is as close in sound to the e 609.

If it helps, the store carries Shure, EV, AKG, ATechnica, Royer, Sennhiesers [except e 609] , Beyerdynamic etc ..... the list goes on an on ......

So ..... long question short:-

=> what would be another mic brand and model [ incl. other Sennhieser's ] that sounds as close as possible to an e 609 Silver ?

Thanks,
Ben

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all

Recently did some recordings for a colleague of his cranked up AC 30 using his Sennheiser e 609 Silver - never used this mic before but it came up a real treat :) .... really great sounding on the amp ... to my surprise I very much preferred it to the 57 I normally mic cabs with .... anyway ....

I was going to borrow his e609 for my own recording buts he's away on holidays for a week or so ..... no worries I say to myself .... went to my local pro store and they carry every mic you can think of but they are out of e 609's .... theyve got all the other Senny's but not the e 609 .... and as the local wholesaler is shut for the break .... and I dont like buying 2nd hand mic's ..... I'd like to find another alternative equivalent mic that is as close in sound to the e 609.

If it helps, the store carries Shure, EV, AKG, ATechnica, Royer, Sennhiesers [except e 609] , Beyerdynamic etc ..... the list goes on an on ......

So ..... long question short:-

=> what would be another mic brand and model [ incl. other Sennhieser's ] that sounds as close as possible to an e 609 Silver ?

Thanks,
Ben

If you tried and e609 and liked it then I would buy an e609, not something sounds "close as possible".

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I've been bailed out by the three position switch on the e906 quite a few times with IEM gigs. Get all mic-ed up, and then you realize the sound guy isn't eq-ing at all once you throw your IEMs in. Flip that high switch on the mic and rocknroll. My wife, who is a legit FOH engineer in her own right, has seen me do it on a few occasions and pointed it out as the right move.

The e906 has all the same mojo, a touch more versatility, and your local store might even have one in stock?

I got an SM57 (that I asked for) from the wife for Christmas. I found the construction inferior compared to my early 90's Shures. I took it back to GC assuming I had a returned mic that had been tampered with. Nope. They all were ill fitting. The clerk suggested an e609 Silver instead. Wow! What a great mic for home recording. Glad I got it.

Azfarrier

If you really like the e609 I'd order it from Amazon and get the free two day Prime shipping. If you had to have one immediately I'd go with the e906 if they have one. I personally use the 906 and love it.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
No. Two different mics that are both currently made.

but they did replace the e609 for a while didn't they with the e906? I seem to recall wanting to buy an e609 and not being able to unless I bought used. They probably reissued them due to demand. I think I'll check at a mic forum and try to find that out.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
four pages of discussions of 609 and 906

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipm...er-e609-vs-e906-182505/4/?highlight=e609+e906

looks like they stopped production of the black 609 and replaced it with the silver 609, then brought out the 906. The consensus of the thread seems to be the 906 is more like the original black 609 with some extra top end. The silver 609 doesn't have the fullness of the other two but work can work well with other mics i.e. sm57 or even stand alone in the right situation.

current prices I see:

e609 silver $110
e906 $190

I couldn't even find any vintage black e609 to find a price. they probably don't come up for sale very often

loudboy

four pages of discussions of 609 and 906

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipm...er-e609-vs-e906-182505/4/?highlight=e609+e906

looks like they stopped production of the black 609 and replaced it with the silver 609, then brought out the 906. The consensus of the thread seems to be the 906 is more like the original black 609 with some extra top end. The silver 609 doesn't have the fullness of the other two but work can work well with other mics i.e. sm57 or even stand alone in the right situation.

current prices I see:

e609 silver $110
e906 $190

I couldn't even find any vintage black e609 to find a price. they probably don't come up for sale very often

The really sought-after ones are the 409s.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom