Sennheiser e609/906 Mic Clip/Stand??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jcshirke, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I have both of these Sennheiser mics. They both came with mic clips, and the bottom of the clip is threaded, so I know it must screw onto something--only...er...I feel like a dumb ass b/c I don't know how in the world they attach to any of the mic stands I have. They sure don't seem to fit.

Yes, I realize that these mics are designed to be draped right over the amp, so you don't even need a stand most of the time. However, I want to pull the mic back a bit from the amp in order to experiment with the different kinds of sounds I can get, so I'd like to have the option of placing these mics in a stand now and then.

I have to say I'm clueless about what I need. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

The stand adapter I got with my 609 attaches just like my other mics. Does it seem like it's crossthreading? Some adapters I've used have been tricky to thread the first time but after that they've been fine.

3. jcshirke

I must be doing something really, really stupid because I swear the adapter is way smaller than the part of the mic stand I'm trying to attach it to. I can't even fit the thing on there to begin to try to thread it.

What kind of stand(s) do you have?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

4. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

I'm using cheap boom stands I bought years ago from Musician's Friend. I've attached a lot of clips and shock mounts though and never had much of an issue with them. I just went and checked my 609 and the adapter is stamped 'MZQ 100' right above the pivot. I bought the mic used so I can't say with absolute certainty that it's the original but I've always believed it to be.

5. jcshirke

Okay, I have the same adapters. Now, what in the world do they attach to? Because I know for sure I can't screw them directly onto the stands I have. I have three stands--a Quik Lok, an On-Stage, and some other one that I can't identify. My Shure SM57 adapter screws right onto one of my stands, but not the Quik Lok or the On-Stage. There has to be some piece I'm missing. Any clue?

6. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

I'm afraid someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in here, I just do a little home recording so my experience is pretty limited. I'm curiious to know what the answer is in case I ever run across it. For what it's worth, I vaguely remember having an issue a few years ago and my recollection is I had to remove an insert from an adapter to get it to thread on to the stand. I think that was a cheap mic I bought for the kids to play with though. I don't remember ever having problems with 'real' mics.

7. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Sounds like you've got 5/8" (American style) mic stands, but you're trying to screw on a 3/8" (European style) thread. If I remember rightly, the Sennheiser is a 5/8" thread with a 3/8" metal adapter threaded into it by default. Should be possible to unscrew the adapter, then screw the holder straight onto the mic stand. If not, most music stores will sell 3/8" to 5/8" adaptors (going either way) for a couple of bucks.

8. jcshirke

That has to be what's going on. I just can't explain why mwe isn't having any problems, though.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I'm going to call Sweetwater today to see if they have the adapter I need.

9. jcshirke

Problem solved. Hopefully this info. will prove useful to the next person who, like me, had no idea what to do.

The Sennheiser mic clips come with an adapter already screwed into the clip. This is what allows the clip to be attached to European stands, and it's why it absolutely would not fit onto a US stand with the adapter still screwed into the clip.

Guys in the US need to remove the adapter, and then it'll fit US stands. Grab a dime or penny, unscrew the adapter, toss it aside, and then attach the clip to your stand.

Hooray.

10. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Lol...well now you're prepared for any Sennheiser/Rode/Neumann...essentially any non-US mic that comes your way. Most of them ship standard with 5/8" thread and a 3/8" adapter screwed in.