Sennheiser e609 Guitar Mic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!
    Any experience with this mic?
    I'm planning to buy one to use along with my SM57 for a slightly fuller, more diverse, recorded guitar tone by blending the two tones. Many bands I've seen use this your recording into the PA live, and it sounded great. I assume this would transfer to recording!
    But as always, first hand experience is always welcome! Thanks!

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've tried the e609 with a SM57, which extends the dynamic range. My favorite combo has been a SM57 or e609 with the Sennheiser MD421.

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I can't ever get the mic to work for me. I always end up preferring the SM57...the 609 is a brighter mic and usually ends up sounding harsh on recordings.

I like an SM57 along with a ribbon mic (I've got a Nady that works pretty well).

4. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

The E609 is great for a live application, I think you will find the mic harder to work with in a recording application. I would suggest the combo of a SM57 and a Large diaphram mic for your recording needs. Also Remember to run one
    mic out of phase, so you don't have any phasing issues. The combo of mics and eq settings will make for a great guitar sound as a whole. :AOK

5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Or even better grab a plugin that can alter the phase of the signal so you can sweep it to figure out what works best :AOK

If you've got Paypal and want a used e609 in mint condition with bag and clip, let me know.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I used a e609 for some multi-mic acoustic guitar micing a few years ago... maybe 2 of 'em and another type of mic for #3...

7. muddy

muddy Member

not the original blackface e609. the current silverface ones do sound like crap, but the blackies sound great; they're a much warmer sounding mic with a much better presence all around. i was lucky to find probably 1 of the last an online dealer had, brand new. you'll have to keep an eye out for a 2nd-hand one now. it's the only mic from that lineage (outside of the original 70's gold & black grille md409's, which are THE SHITE!) that i like. i don't like the e906's either.

ml

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

agreed. i bought one of the original black e609's about 5-6 years ago. it is a fantastic mic. the only mic that has ever not colored my stage sound through the p.a.
    the silver ones were changed and made for a specific price point to compete with sm57's and such.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The ones I used for acoustic micing were black and sounded great.

10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

That's a good point...I'm referring to the e609 which is the silverface model.

It's a great microphone for dark speakers and live work...but in the studio I just like the 57 more...incidentally, that's the ONLY thing I like a 57 on. I don't use them on snares or toms or anything else. Even screaming vocals I like bass mics more!

But if you were to ask me the order in which I would buy microphones for electric guitar, it'd probably go something like this:

1. Shure SM57
    2. Studio Projects B1 (cheap LD condenser)
    3. Sennheiser MD421
    4. Nady RSM-3 (cheap ribbon)
    5. Rode NT2 or AT 4040 (better LD condenser)
    6. Sennheiser 609 (old version)
    7. Royer R-121 (great ribbon)

:BOUNCE

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I like the black 609 quite a bit and the silver can sound great for some apps. Their sound is very dependent of input impedance. As a result, the black can sound too dark and the silver can sound very harsh.

The 906 (set flat) sounds closer to a 409 than either 609, imo, and I think it's the best bang for the buck mic of the lot.

12. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

A lot of cats are using the Shure KSM27 for live and recording.

13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

On electric? LIVE? I couldn't bring a condenser mic for live electric guitar...just not something I'd do. :messedup

14. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

the md421 is a great mic! combined with a sm57 it is just awesome. little trick: try a ... hm.. don't know the english word.. but a base drum mic to put in the back of your amp if that is an open amp... and try to mix it.. ;) nice results.

15. g-nem

g-nem Member

While reading this I was reminded of shinybox ribbon mic's that are even less expensive than the nady one's. They're friends with oktava mod and blacklion audio, both of which are aimed at pro results from less expensive gear.

16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Awesome technique! Tried it and it's cool...just reverse the phase on that second mic though.

I had a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 that wasn't liking mics and we ended up with two AKG D112's (bass drum mic)...one on the speaker and one tucked in the back.

17. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

How will I know whether the e609 is of older production? Are ONLY the older ones black?

Would a condensor be a better way to go?

Ribbon mics were also mentioned....

I just really want a nice second mic to compliment my SM-57....

Overall recommendations?

18. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

I started using the ksm 32 shure mic thru the PA and I don't think there is anything better for miking guitar cabs!It's warm and does'nt have any of the harsh upper midrange of the 57 or the e609.

19. Blueser

Blueser Member

I really don't like the sound of that mike. All texture and no tone IMHO. It always sounds harsh and bright to me.

20. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

The church i play at has these for 1 of the 2 guitar amps. I personally can NOT stand them.

But that's live, and i'm only hearing my tone from the Video they record every week. Not saying they always suck. :)

My personal fav is the AT4040; i play a Matchless DC-30 and it gets that upper end detail really well. Can't say the KSM27 or 32's do that too well.