Sennheiser e906-did anyone try it?Opinions!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by vladorg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking into experimenting with two mics on my guitar cab.One is going to be(and is currently) the SM 57.However, I'm looking at the e906 in order to use it as the second one.I know the e906 just came out recently so I was wondering whether anyone had a chance to try one out yet?And if you did what did you think of it.Thanks,

Vlad

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I haven't tried the new one, but you're welcome to borrow one of my e609 mics if you like to check it out.

--chiba

3. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Chiba,
    thanks a lot for the offer-I might try.Do you think the new e906 is just a slight remake of the e609.Also,I heard that the e609 silver that most stores have in stock was not as good as the first run e609-any truth to this?

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I tried an e609 silver and wasn't blown away. Sure, it sounded fine but it wasn't different enough from a sm57 to justify buying both. I've also heard that the e609 is different from the silver.

My amp mics of choice are a Shure 57 or 517, Blue Ball or Rode NT1. The Ball sounds similar to a 57 but I find it captures crunchy rhthym parts better. The NT1 is just a decent cheap LCD that sounds pretty generic (in a good way, doesn't try to be something it's not). My next mic will probably be an AEA R84.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about that. I got two 609s last year and love the way they sound. To me they sound very different than the 57 - less compressed, less flattened out in the mids.

--chiba

6. TAVD

The different between the e609 and the silver is in the mids, so that would make sense.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i love my e609.

i'm such a lazy bum, that i get a great sound by just draping it over the front. what could be better? ;)

8. straticus

straticus Member

What are the differences?

BC :)

9. TAVD

I seem to recall seeing the frequency response plots differing around 4k, where one has more emphasis. There's presumably something more than the 4k bump to account for the price difference.

10. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

I just picked up a 609 silver. I think its a much more open sounding mic and had better clarity than a 57. Certainly enough difference to justify having both. I definitley liked the 609 better on a PRS / marshall combo. I think the 57 may be better on a much brighter strat through fender combo but I haven't tried it yet.

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I think they may have been designed with that in mind? :D

I drap my e609 as well, but I actually tape it down so it doesn't shift around. I also like the way the e609 sounds in combination with the Sennheiser MD 421... very full tone.

I still have my 57... although it's not getting much use lately.

12. TAVD

Maybe there was something wrong with the one I demo'ed because I hung it over the front of an amp and couldn't get much gain. I had the pre cranked up pretty high (over 50 db) and still had to turn up the amp to around 8 or so to get the meters to hit 0 db. Maybe I'll give another one a try some day.

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I have a 60 Watt Naylor cranked, but I think you're on the mark with the gain issue. I had to turn up the gain a little more so than usual for a source that so loud.

14. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

I have one that I use in front of my DRZ Maz 38 at live gigs, sounds great. also looks cool

15. eternal_idol

eternal_idol Guest

hate to point out something simple, but could you see FRONT on the mic when you mic'd up? kuz its backwards.

if not your mic is messed, my e609 is hotter than my 57 not my much but still just a touch hotter.

16. TAVD

I was waiting for someone to suggest that. It wasn't backwards. It just wasn't very hot. Incidentally, I gave the mic to a buddy and he's recording some great guitar tracks with it. It's made me take a look at the e906, which is supposed to mimic the different versions of the e609, from what I understand.