Sennheiser e906 Guitar Mic works sort of like an EQ Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucidology, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Recently purchased one of these specifcially for guitar mics
    and have used the very cool filter notch to attentuate my amps high end ...

Highly recommended for guitarists afraid of that monitor sting,
    or high end overkill that often comes with the territory when micing your amp..

Plus it's a tiny little thing....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cardioid e906 instrument microphone was especially designed for guitar amps and is also excellent for percussion and horns.Features

[​IMG]Lively, full sound [​IMG]Very fast attack [​IMG]Flat shape is ideal for miking amp faces [​IMG]Three position switchable sound character: bright, moderate, dark [​IMG]Rugged metal body[​IMG]Very fast attack[​IMG]Flat shape perfect for guitar amps[​IMG]Switchable presence filters (3 levels)[​IMG]Extra-resistant reinforced metal body

[​IMG]"Tec Award"

2. Snap

Snap Member

I've been considering purchasing one.
    Have you had a chance to compare it to any other standards (57, i5, 609)?

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Bought the 609, haven't had a chance to use it. I know what you mean about monitor sting though. Ouch.

4. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

The 609, in my case/ear, sounds better, cleaner (even at higher gain settings) & warmer than the 57. I havent tried or heard the 906 (to my knowledge), but it looks like a more versatile version of the 609. Definitely worth the price of admission.

5. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I really like the 906. The older 609's were too harsh imo, but they only sell the "silver" version now that sounds a lot like the 906 but w/o the filter switch.

I put some WAVs on my blog of the 906, 57, MD421, and AKG 414 in a shootout:
    http://electriccom.blogspot.com/2008/05/miking-your-cab-part-2.html

it was a while ago and in retrospect, the time I did this was the worst my rid ever sounded :( You'll get the difference between the mikes though.

6. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

That is the one Im was talking about.

7. buchla300

buchla300 Member

The 906 is my favorite mic these days. Love it. That close to the grill with a nice condenser mic to pick up the room and I'm done..

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

what nice about the 609 design in general ( I have a recent one and it's sounds better than my 57..seems to sound more like my amp and imparts less of itself if that makes sense )

Is that if you use a combo, and lean it back - you can just loop the mic cable through your amp handle and hang the mic right over the speaker ( I put mine off center a bit closer to the speaker egde ).

Really works well and did away with a mic stand on stage !

Great mics

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yes... been using nothing but a 57 for years ... this is so much mega better (IMO)
    Had my doubts until I tried and am very happy with the purchase ...
    Very Cool ... I will check out your blog when I get a chance for sure ...

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

the 906 is indeed a 609 with more tonal options. what they did with the 906 is try to get it closer to the old 409 on one slider position and then a 609 on another. the old 409 is a wonderful sounding mic, but it's commanding stupid money these days.

i've always thought that the 609 sounds somewhat like a pre-eq'd sm57--eq'd for "all the right things" i want out of an amp mic. i've never really liked an sm57 without some serious eq, so the 609 gets me "in the neighborhood" a lot faster.

as others have said, the 609's VERY convenient at gigs what with it not needing a stand. and i agree that it doesn't have that monitor ice pick (unless you put it back in there).

for recording, i far prefer the sennheiser 421. but for gigging, i'll take 609 in a heartbeat.

cheers,
    wade

12. BigJamesyBoy

BigJamesyBoy Member

When I switched to the e906 from the sm57, my tone compliments more than doubled...

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking at getting one of these for a while. I think I'm going to have to give it a shot. I'm gigging with just my tweed deluxe in a new band and I need to mic it up pretty much everywhere.
    Do you think it will match up well with a tweed amp?

14. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I switched from a SM57 to a 906 about 2 years ago. To me the 906 sounds more like what I hear standing in front of my amp.

15. Freedom

Freedom Member

16. konstantine

konstantine Member

+1 to the e906

Sounds far better than the SM57 and its much easier to place it!!

the SM57 may be a little better in a dense mix though..

Konstantine

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Actually if the mix is really dense ... I just flick the notch to the highest position on the 906... and man does it cut ...

18. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I just did a thorough mic shootout, and have owned both the e906 AND e609 (two seperate mics):

The e609 DOES NOT SOUND LIKE the e906.

Yes, they look the same. But that's about where the similarities end. It's gotta be a different capsule in there. Totally different sounds. The 609 is like a scooped, grittier, brighter SM57. The e906 is much, MUCH cleaner, and gives a more natural representation of what the amp sounds like. Much less colored.

Both are GOOD mics, for sure. But don't let anyone tell you it's the "same mic with a slider switch". because it's not.

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hi, Do you think that the e906 is worth the extra cash? Also where do you usually set the slider? Thanks

20. dosmun

dosmun Member

The best part of that was the conclusion:

"Conclusion:
    I found that WHERE the mike was placed made a much bigger difference than WHICH mike I used. I found it easiest to get a good sound out of the e906 and would recommend either that or the sm57. More importantly than which mike you get or use, make sure you find time to experiment with mike placement and find what works best for your cab."

That is very true:BEER